    You did, thanks!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 25, 2004

  2. nikonpro

    Big Bill Guest

    Note the " :) "?
    That's a joke, son; I say, that's a joke.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Off topic, but quite topical this week: I well remember seeing, in my
    teens, a newspaper photo showing the horses of the British Olympic Team
    fitted with blankets proudly embroidered: "Great Britian".

    David Littlewood, Aug 27, 2004
  4. You may enjoy a book which became a surprise best-seller over here last
    year: "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. It is a punctuation
    perfectionist's nirvana.

    David

    David Littlewood, Aug 28, 2004
  5. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    While I certainly wouldn't consider myself a punctuation perfectionist,
    (note my constant use of "..." randomly stuck all over my posts for
    effect... -See? -Like that one!) that does sound very interesting. I'm
    going to look it up right now. Thanks. :)

    Mark M, Aug 28, 2004
  6. nikonpro

    jpmcw Guest

    Murder mystery? Quirky photographer? Not to mention all the other
    possiblities rendered by moving the comma.

    jpmcw, Aug 29, 2004
  7. Panda joke, illustrating what the author calls the "yob's comma". As
    best I can remember it:

    A giant panda goes into a bar, orders a plate of food from the
    bartender. It eats the food, then pulls out a gun and shoots the
    bartender's assistant. The bartender says as the panda heads for the
    door "what the f*** did you do that for?"

    "Why", says the panda, "I'm just behaving like it says in this animal
    book: Giant Panda - eats, shoots and leaves."

    And yes, the book's main theme is how important punctuation is in
    conveying meaning accurately in any written text. It is, as I say, an
    excellent read.

    David

    David Littlewood, Aug 29, 2004
  8. nikonpro

    Colin D Guest

    Byline should be:

    Even if you learned to speak English perfectly, to whom would you speak
    it?

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Should??

    You might consider re-tuning your irony meter, and maybe adding a sig
    delimiter.

    John McWilliams, Aug 30, 2004
  10. nikonpro

    kashe Guest

    Churchill disagreed.
    <http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/drlang001.html>

    Will I be Arrested if I End a Sentence with a Preposition?

    A Southerner stopped a stranger on the Harvard campus and asked,
    "Could you please tell me where the library is at?" The stranger
    responded, "Educated people never end their sentences with a
    preposition." The overly polite Southerner then apologetically
    repeated himself: "Could you please tell me where the library is at,
    you jerk?"

    While editing the proof of one of his books, Winston Churchill
    spotted a sentence that had been clumsily rewritten by the editor to
    eliminate a preposition at the end. The elder statesman mocked the
    intention with a comment in the margin: "This is the sort of English
    up with which I will not put."

    kashe, Aug 31, 2004
  11. I remember a few years ago hearing on the radio a short story in which
    the author, in a rather contrived manner but with complete validity,
    managed to end a sentence with no less than seven consecutive
    prepositions.

    David Littlewood, Aug 31, 2004
  12. nikonpro

    Sander Vesik Guest

    Bah. those littel toys. get a 8x10 :p

    Sander Vesik, Sep 2, 2004
  13. nikonpro

    Colin D Guest

    TROLL

    Colin D, Sep 2, 2004
  14. nikonpro

    dylan Guest

    Probably the same company that made "Chrystal Palace " football shirts :)

    dylan, Sep 3, 2004