CANON - The Great Pretender

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nikonpro, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. nikonpro

    ThomasH Guest

    It is sad to read this thread: Both "sides" tell here opinionated
    stories with self made up claims and manipulated facts. Probably
    the "best of the best" of the moronic messages here was the claim
    that Canon has "always" dominated the 35mm pro market... This is
    closely followed by the repeated self made theory about the "too
    small diameter" in "antiquated Nikon F mount." Bravo to both
    authors and well deserved "1st class Moron Award." Please do some
    reading.

    I am one of the users of *both* brands and I sure like a lot in
    both Canon's and Nikon's implementation of the 35mm systems.
    Competition brings the prices down, innovation on both sides
    forces to outbid the opponent. I am sure that this will stay
    that way to our all advantage. My only regret is that Pentax
    and Minolta cannot keep up with the size and variety of
    components of the Canon and Nikon system.

    It is amazing that such emotional threads always attract the
    most replies, and that they seemingly never end.

    Thomas

    ....etc.etc

    ThomasH, Aug 24, 2004

  2. nikonpro

    Colin D Guest

    I am ahead. Modern English (as in the UK, New Zealand, etc.) has
    largely dropped the period in Dr, Mr etc. Americam mileage may be
    different.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Aug 24, 2004

  3. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    Most of the posts in this thread are tongue-in-cheek.
    -Just a bit of fun by the very people who really aren't all that big of
    trumpeters of this brand or that.

    Same with all the silliness about the apostrophe.
    Nobody here REALLY cares.

    Mark M, Aug 24, 2004
  4. John McWilliams wrote:
    []
    John, if only the majority of the population knew and used this....

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Colin D wrote:
    []
    Yes, quite! If that sort of thing interests you, look for the book "The
    Adventure of English 500 AD-2000 " by Melvin Bragg, ISBN: 0340829915. A
    good read!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Mark M wrote:
    []
    .... and isn't that how standards just continue to drop?

    David J Taylor, Aug 24, 2004
  7. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    My statement wasn't quite accurate...

    What I meant was: Within the context of USE-NET, people here don't really
    care.
    I, in fact, do care. To me, the sloppy use of the apostrophe (and other
    similarly annoying language issues) are a sign of poor education. BUT--Here
    on these forums, it's not critically important. Just as we speak
    differently than we formally write, so do we informally type here.
    This forum is conversational and typically not concerned with the
    technicalities of language unless some troll is losing an argument and has
    nothing else to gripe about. That's why I made the comment about this
    thread being largely a tongue-in-cheek event.

    Mark M, Aug 24, 2004
  8. nikonpro

    Big Bill Guest

    There should be an apostrophe after "IDIOTS". :)

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 24, 2004
  9. nikonpro

    Dave Guest

    Always ;)

    Dave, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Then I'd have less to grouse about!

    Let me see if I can locate a fav. sig throw away that's relevant...

    John McWilliams, Aug 24, 2004
  11. Ah, so it was tongue-in-cheek commentary on t.i.c. threads! I'd observe
    that the threads that generate the most heat often have the least light,
    be they re photog or not.

    I try to not pay attention to spelling errers not to mention punctuation
    and grammar mistakes of. Unless it's on someone correcting another- then
    he's fair game. Or unless he's an insufferable pendant who makes others
    wrong, or ....

    John McWilliams, Aug 24, 2004
  12. nikonpro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 24, 2004
  13. nikonpro

    Mitch Alsup Guest

    Fact: 99% of all camera can take better pictures than their operator owners
    actually take.

    Thereby rendering this question moot.

    Mitch Alsup, Aug 24, 2004
  14. nikonpro

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    American English uses the period after "Dr." and "Mr.", too.

    However, Oxford acknowledges "pro" as a word, not an abbreviation, calls
    it "informal", and in its first sense defines it as (1) a professional;
    and (2) a prostitute. And lists "pros" as the plural.

    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 24, 2004
  15. I've never called a prostitute "pro." "Ho?" yes. "Pro?" No.

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 24, 2004
  16. nikonpro

    Alan Browne Guest

    It's funny how Spadaro can't answer anyone directly anymore,
    always a couple posts down. And that in reply (to a reply ) to
    one of the few balanced posts in the whole thread...

    Alan Browne, Aug 24, 2004
  17. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    Hooray for Foghorn Leghorn!
    :)

    Mark M, Aug 25, 2004
  18. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    We needn't hear the details of your personal relationships...
    :)

    Mark M, Aug 25, 2004
  19. nikonpro

    ThomasH Guest

    Thank you Tony for the flower. Apparently nobody is
    perfect, neither am I. Besides, what the heck,
    these Canon-Nikon wars are always so bloodless,
    lets keep them that way.

    Moron, ouch, I mean Thomas.

    ThomasH, Aug 25, 2004
  20. nikonpro

    Frank Pittel Guest

    : On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:28:57 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"

    : >This was a valid concern, but as it turns out, many pros defected
    : >to Canon anyway, since they couldn't get the lenses they wanted on the
    : >Nikon mount.

    : Pro's don't use 35mm.

    : RB67SD. Get back to quality and stop playing with toys.

    Everybody knows that real photoraphers use 4x5!! My MF cameras are little more
    then point and shoots.

    Frank Pittel, Aug 25, 2004