CANON - The Great Pretender

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nikonpro, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. nikonpro

    nikonpro Guest

    CANON - The Great Pretender

    Undoubtedly during the 60's, 70's and 80's Nikon dominated
    professional 35mm film photography, the F2 being the camera of the
    70's and the F3 (nobody can doubt) ruled the 80's (does anybody recall
    that ad where they lined up all the fleet street photographers and
    without exception they had F3's? Not one F1 in site! those were the
    heady days the F3 dominated the world) - Canon was strictly for the
    boys (F1 was a joke, Uncle Ted had his AE-1p etc)

    Canons stroke of genius also became its achilles heel. By throwing
    away the FD mount they alienated many followers, but the AF was fast,
    smooth and USM with sharp "L" glass mounted on EOS-1's became
    familiar everywhere. The F4 was not Nikons greatest success, a good
    camera - yes. A Brilliant camera - arguable. For a time many of us
    held our breath.. On a shoot I had my trusty F4 held in amusement by
    many EOS-1 guys. The F5 of course changed the 35mm film scene back to
    where it rightfully belongs.

    It seemed Nikon paid for not changing their mount - but being Nikon -
    they knew in the long term this would have been disastrous - Nikon
    look after their own - who expected all the F3 pros to throw away
    their glass when purchasing an F4 (as Canon forced their F1 to EOS
    users).

    One of Nikons finest moments in its history was the launch of the D1.
    This without doubt made many jump (back) to Nikon - history has shown
    - at least since 1999 - that Nikon rule Pro 35mm Digital.

    I trusted Nikon as a long time user. They didn't desert me when making
    the AF switch, and when making the pro digital jump they crushed
    Canon.

    Canon 35mm Digital is for the rich amateur.

    My Brother just returned from Iraq.. he knows zilch about cameras but
    mentioned when seeing my D1x that there "were a heck a lot of those
    things about"... indeed there was brother... for we rule professional
    digital photography...

    As we speak I have a 1977 Ai 400/5.6 ED on a 2004 D2h body - working
    in perfect harmony.

    Heck that lens is also as old as I am (and still incidently the best
    400/5.6 ever made).

    Nikon... Pure Class.

    nikonpro, Aug 19, 2004

  2. nikonpro

    Tim McTeague Guest

    Huh? Just scan the banks of pros at any sporting event and count the light
    gray lenses. Canon seems to account for about 90% of what is used in this
    arena.

    Tim

    Tim McTeague, Aug 19, 2004

  3. nikonpro

    Mark B. Guest

    Wow, that was a troll if ever there was one.

    Mark B., Aug 19, 2004
  4. nikonpro

    Ryadia Guest

    Feel better now?
    Nikon might not be total crap and Canon might not be absolutely great
    but I know first hand that in Australia, Nikon has alienated it's Pro
    base to the point they have nearly all taken the plunge to Canon, glass
    and all. Me too.

    Ryadia.

    Ryadia, Aug 19, 2004
  5. nikonpro

    nikonpro Guest

    Indeed my friend, not all have yet deserted the "great white gods"
    (aka fast long L glass) - but give it time - Canon is hanging on to
    sports like a climber hangs onto a cliff - if it loses there - game
    over - theres nothing else to hang on.

    And this ain't a troll - this is facts boys - better get use to it

    nikonpro, Aug 19, 2004
  6. I can not document this information, but I remember that in
    the 1970's, Canon and Minolta ran their own 'glass foundaries'
    (i.e., they formulated their own lenses from optical glass
    that they produced in their own foundaries). Other Japanese
    camera manufacturers (including Nikon) manufactured their lenses
    from optical glass blanks purchased from outside sources.
    God is in the details.

    I never have owned a Canon SLR or a Nikon SLR,
    but I respect both manufacturers.

    "All Rights Reserved"?
    If I 'right' must I reserve?

    I gut no problems.
    Other people gut problems.
    00: 18+ _8 02 03/35 06 09

    Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ

    Richard Ballard, Aug 19, 2004
  7.
    radio silence, Aug 19, 2004
  8. nikonpro

    ed Guest

    Nikon is dead, everyone knows that.

    Move on folks, nothing to see here

    ed, Aug 19, 2004

  9. Is that all pro photography is about? Sports?!?
    Ha!

    Chris Loffredo, Aug 19, 2004
  10. It's nice to see such an old person still likes to masturbate - at least
    online.

    --
    ------------------------------
    online photo portfolio

    " If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the
    event, what film would you use?"
    - Anonymous

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 19, 2004
  11. nikonpro

    Justin Thyme Guest

    uh huh - so your still in nappies eh?

    Justin Thyme, Aug 19, 2004
  12. Whatever turns your crank...

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 19, 2004
  13. It is a TROLL. Nikon's latest Pro dSLR is the D2H, that has half the pixel
    count of the Canon 1D mk.II

    Darrell Larose, Aug 19, 2004
  14. Don't forget the largest glass foundary in Japan is Asahi Koguka (Pentax)
    Pentax also shares the pattent rights with Zeiss (SMC & T*) that they
    co-invented in the early 1970's. All MC lens makers pay a licence fee to
    Asahi and Zeiss.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 19, 2004
  15. nikonpro

    E. Le Phant Guest

    What a bunch of crap. What a steaming heap of pure trollism.
    Huh? Which cheap pulp history book do you get that from? I see rather less
    than 1 in 30 pros using Nikon these days, and that is over assorted venues
    and types of shoot. In sports and press it's 100% Canon. I know a couple
    of studio users who have a Nikon or two there on the shelf BUT they mostly
    use Canons on the job.

    E. Le Phant, Aug 19, 2004
  16. None of this matters. Real photographers use Leicas.

    Michael Scarpitti, Aug 19, 2004
  17. Oh, and by the way... AP article on number of cameras shipped in the US
    market in the first half of 2004.

    1. Sony - 21.5% market share (trending down) - 1.73 million cameras
    2. Kodak - 18.3% market share (trending up) - 1.47 million cameras
    3. Canon - 14.7% market share
    4. Olympus - 11.8% market share
    5. Fuji - 8.7% market share
    6. HP - 7% market share
    7. Nikon - 5.7% market share

    Yep, Nikon is really popular.

    About three times less than Canon :)

    But, let's just leave the numbers aside for a second. What I see in the
    digital SLR race is very simple. You older users seem to think it's your
    natural right to use 30 year old lenses on the latest digital body, and will
    screem and fight when Nikon finally let's go of it's too old lens mount. And
    I'm sure that this old lens bayounet is the rock around Nikon's neck,
    because construction issues are making it extremely difficult for Nikon to
    make a full-frame digital SLR. And Canon and Kodak are marching up big time,
    making high-megapixel, full frame, pro cameras. Next year we'll see Canon's
    1Ds mark II with 16 mpixels and a full frame - will Nikon's 1,5 crop factor
    sensor be able to compete? Don't think so.

    If you have any brains, you'll see that once the Nikon changes it's lens
    mount, you'll have to build up your system from scratch if you want to use
    the latest digital body. And you will have to use digital bodies, because
    there will be no new film bodies on the market, it'll all switch to digital.
    And this will happen, have no doubt. And when it does, we'll see a lot of
    Nikonians going camping under Canon's tent.

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 19, 2004
  18. None of this matters. Real photographers use Leicas.

    Michael Scarpitti, Aug 19, 2004
  19. nikonpro

    k Guest

    In case you dont know... the japanese market will never
    introduce products that compete head to head against its
    own exports. Given that the sale of cameras is a major business
    in Japan, I would bet my dollar that Nikon and Canon carefully market
    their products so that they do not sabotage eachothers brandname.

    k, Aug 19, 2004
  20. nikonpro

    leo Guest

    Where are Nikon's equivalent to 1Ds and 1D Mark II?

    leo, Aug 19, 2004