    Max memory capacity for th Canon SX10is?

    I couldn't find it anywhere.

    TIA.

    yirgster, Jun 27, 2009

  2. yirgster

    Bert Hyman Guest

    Bert Hyman, Jun 27, 2009

  3. Jürgen Exner, Jun 28, 2009
  4. yirgster

    yirgster Guest

    Thanks for your responses, but I'm not sure they addressed what I'm
    concerned about.

    That a memory card is available in a certain capacity does not imply,
    by itself, that the camera can support that capacity. I've run into
    this before. E.g., card can be 4GB, but camera only supports a max of
    2GB.

    From your answers I infer that the SX10is will support whatever
    capacity the card has? Is this correct? That is, what is the maximum
    card capacity that the camera will in fact support (and not
    necessarily the maximum capacity of cards of that type).

    That's what my question was or should have been, and what I couldn't
    find on the various websites.

    yirgster, Jun 28, 2009
  5. A camera supporting SD cards has a limit of 2GB. Except that some
    non-standard 4GB SD cards were produced, and being non-standard, some
    cameras worked with them and some did not. If a camera is specified to
    work with SDHC cards, it should work up to the specified limit, which has
    been stated to be 32GB.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 28, 2009
  6. My wife is currently using a 4G SDHC card in her SX10IS and it works
    fine to full capacity. The camera recognizes and writes to my 8G SDHC
    card, but we never tied it to capacity. My view, is that unless you are
    recording movies, anything over 4G is overkill. I use 8G cards in my
    Nikon D300, but that is because I occasionally record in RAW.

    I would expect that the SX10IS will work fine with the 32G SDHC cards
    unless there is a problem with the card.

    Clair

    Clair Johnston, Jun 28, 2009
  7. My Panasonic supports SD and SDHC, but for some reason cards
    over 2 GB just don't work. Go figure.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    Stormin Mormon, Jun 29, 2009
  8. If it doesn't work with prime brand 4GB SDHC cards, I would have said that
    it's either faulty or needs a firmware upgrade. Be aware that 4GB SD
    cards (as opposed to SDHC cards) are non-standard, and may or may not work
    in any particular camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 29, 2009
  9. yirgster

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    Hello, David:

    "Should work" doesn't mean "will work," alas. I've read of some individual
    digicams' specifications, which state SDHC limits, well below 32GB (e.g.,
    8GB).

    That's not very shocking, though. If you'll recall, plenty of older camera
    models (such as those, using Compact Flash) couldn't fully exploit their
    memory card formats' capacity, either.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 6, 2009
  10. Precisely why I wrote "Should work", John. Yes, I had lots of fun with
    cameras not working with CF cards. In the early days, I had to take 2 x
    30MB back to the shop and have them replaced by 3 x 20MB. As that was
    1998, you don't want to ask what the price of 30MB CF cards was then!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 6, 2009
  11. yirgster

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, David:

    My first digicam (Largan "Lmini 350") couldn't even use external storage,
    as it was limited to its own, paltry 2MB of internal memory!

    The next two cameras (DC3200 and DX3900, both Kodak products) took CF,
    and I marvelled at how little (in physical dimensions) the cards were.

    Beginning with a secondhand DX6490, all of my various Kodak models are
    SD-based. Now, SD puppies are truly tiny -- and that's without counting
    microSD, I might add. ;-)

    John Turco, Jul 10, 2009
  12. John Turco wrote:
    []
    In some respects, John, I am glad to see the back of CF cards, preferring
    the slide contacts on SD to the embedded pins on the CF socket. Micro-SD
    I do have for the GPS, but I am more careful when I change that (as a
    day's trek is usually well under a megabyte, and as that card has some
    1400MB free, I don't need to remove it all that often.

    I use a mixture of 2GB SD and 4GB SD-HC now. For my purposes I haven't
    found card speed to be a limiting factor - the camera buffer is enough,
    although the faster reading of higher-speed cards and an optimised USB 2.0
    hi-speed setup is nice.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 10, 2009
  13. yirgster

    John Turco Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    Hello, David:

    My own purchasing decisions have been, primarily, based upon price and
    capacity. Branding isn't a huge factor, nor is speed.

    I do own three SDHC cards (two "A-Data" 4GB ones and a Toshiba 8GB), but,
    only my Pentax K100D is compatible with them. Their packages remain sealed,
    as I rarely use the DSLR.

    Although, it's "merely" 6 megapixels, the K100D can produce JPEG files,
    well over 4MB apiece-- and I even have two images, above 5MB. They're all
    considerably larger, than anything my P&S cameras ever create (including
    the Kodak V603, which is also 6MP).

    Shooting RAW, in the K100D, would further increase the demands for storage
    space; then, my SDHC media should come in rather handy.

    John Turco, Jul 13, 2009
  14. yirgster

    Bob Larter Guest

    The best technique of all is to re-format your card after downloading
    your photos from it. That way, you're not fighting the automatic
    wear-leveling algorithm in the card.

    Bob Larter, Jul 13, 2009
  15. I won't even get into wear leveling, but reformatting is way preferable
    to erasing all, as you always start with a clean slate, no
    fragmentation, and *it is way faster on my cameras* (Canons).

    John McWilliams, Jul 13, 2009
  16. Erasing or reformatting a camera card on the computer is not:

    a) a recommended practice
    b) what I talked about.

    Oh, yeah, sure I know you've done it 8,799 times with no problem.

    John McWilliams, Jul 13, 2009
  17. Certainly, formatting in the computer is not a practice I would recommend,
    as it may well cause problems such as formatting the card with a file
    system which the camera does not understand, rendering the card unusable.
    Use the Format command provided by your camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 14, 2009
  18. Just to clarify, formatting a card as NTFS in your computer is likely to
    render it unusable in a camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 14, 2009
  19. yirgster

    Bob Larter Guest

    If you mean deleting all the files on the card, that's not so, as
    formatting the card will clear the FAT, which a 'delete all' won't do.
    No, I'm not, I'm just talking about an in-camera FAT-32 format.
    Correct.

    Bob Larter, Jul 14, 2009
  20. yirgster

    Bob Larter Guest

    Exactly. I always reformat (in-camera) after downloading the files to my
    PC. I've never had any performance problems with any of my CF cards.

    Bob Larter, Jul 14, 2009