Canon ScanGear and colour management

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rick cameron, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. rick cameron

    rick cameron Guest

    I have a Canon 5200F scanner and a Canon i560 printer.

    In the driver for the scanner - ScanGear - under Preferences, there's a page
    for Colour Settings. The main choices are:

    - Recommended
    - Canon ColorGear
    - None

    Under Canon ColorGear, you can choose what appear to be colour profiles for
    the scanner and the printer.

    I'm wondering whether I would get the best colour fidelity if I explicitly
    choose a profile for the scanner and the printer - especially because
    they're both from the same manufacturer.

    The manual is useless, and so is Canon online support. I asked them about
    this, and their reply amounted to, 'we don't know enough to answer your
    question'!

    Is anyone familiar with ScanGear and/or ColorGear?

    Cheers

    - rick

    rick cameron, Nov 20, 2004

  2. rick cameron

    bmoag Guest

    Photoshop type color management is poorly implemented in high end Canon
    printers and essentially non-existent for your printer. There is no need to
    be concerned about profiling your scanner.

    I recommend you develop a system using your photo program and the Canon
    printer driver that works for you.

    If you want to implement color management you need to use a photo program
    that supports color management, calibrate your monitor and go a few notches
    up on the printer food chain. It is complicated but worth the effort if your
    source images are of adequate quality and important enough to you to want to
    print them as best as possible.

    bmoag, Nov 20, 2004