    they achieve the exact same thing? Is the Macro button just a
    convinient shortcut to the Digital Macro menu function?

    Anthony Mak

    anthony.mak, Feb 26, 2006

  2. anthony.mak

    Bill P Guest

    The Macro button allows optical and digital zooming. The Scene/Digital Macro
    allows digital zooming only.

    Bill P, Feb 28, 2006

  3. anthony.mak

    anthony.mak Guest

    Thanks Bill for the reply.

    The only difference is the ability to zoom??
    It seems when I take a very close picture using Digital Zoom
    mode, it is "better" than just by pressing the Macro button.
    Is there no other differences between these two modes, such
    as aperture and shutter speed ... etc?

    Anthony

    anthony.mak, Mar 1, 2006
  4. anthony.mak

    Bill P Guest

    Hi Anthony

    I must admit that I haven't taken any macros with my S80 yet.The zoom option
    was the obvious difference but I will take a few on each setting and compare
    notes.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Mar 1, 2006
  5. anthony.mak

    Bill P Guest

    Hi Anthony
    I have been in touch with Canon and I put the question to them. Here is
    their reply :-

    "At the widest lens setting, the digital macro and standard macro modes are
    exactly the same. The nearest focus position is 4cm.

    The digital macro allows you to digitally zoom in to the image at this
    closest focus point. While the camera does some smoothing between pixels,
    the image is degraded as you zoom digitally.

    You will get the best results using the standard macro mode."

    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Mar 2, 2006