Canon S400/500 series off center tripod mount (workaround?)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by EnEsX, May 18, 2004.

  1. EnEsX

    EnEsX Guest

    I just bought my S500 about a month ago. Having owned an S45 which I
    sold, I'm happy with the S500's image quality and most importantly the
    compact size. However, I found the tripod mount to be off center
    unlike the S45's. I never needed to take pictures that required a
    tripod with the S45. Now I'd like to take pictures using a tripod with
    my S500.

    My question is will the off center mount make that much of a difference
    when taking panoramic pictures? I thought about this and scoured the
    web for any accessories by third party vendors looking for a bracket
    that would screw in place of the original mount on the camera and
    extend to the middle with a thumbscrew to attach to a tripod. I could
    fabricate something like this myself but is this really worth the
    trouble?

    I read a few reviews on the camera and saw the off center tripod mount
    being a drawback but to what extent, the author of the review didn't go
    into any further detail.

    Paul

    EnEsX, May 18, 2004

  2. EnEsX

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    I don't think it's really an issue. Here is a good introduction to panaramic
    photography.

    http://www.shortcourses.com/how/panoramic/panoramic.htm

    Fuzzy Logic, May 18, 2004

  3. EnEsX

    Bob Salomon Guest

    What you are looking for is a macro focusing rail. Here are 3 of them:

    http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm

    When positioned front to back they are most often used for macro
    focusing. When positioned left to right they are mostly used for camera
    positioning as you are looking to do. You can also use two of them
    crossed for even more control in two planes.

    Bob Salomon, May 18, 2004
  4. EnEsX

    EnEsX Guest

    Thank you very much for your replies. Answered my questions!

    EnEsX, May 19, 2004