  1. Maybe I will try that one of these days out of curiosity. I'll report if and
    when I get around to doing that. :)

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 6, 2007

  2. Rohit

    SMS Guest

    Yes, it all depends how conservatively the manufacturer set the
    low-battery indicator, as well as to the accuracy of the voltage
    reference. A NiMH battery delivers most of its capacity in a very narrow
    voltage range of around 0.1V, from 1.25 to 1.15V.

    A low battery indicator is perfectly possible with NiMH batteries,
    what's difficult is getting an accurate capacity reading in between full
    and empty because the voltage range is so narrow.

    It seems strange that they'd set it for 1.199999999V since that's too
    high even for alkalines.
    Indeed, low battery indicators are easy to implement. You're looking
    only for a threshold voltage, and being able to set the threshold for
    the type of battery is a very useful feature.

    I like knowing the remaining capacity of the battery, rather than just
    knowing when it's low. On notebook computers, you can also set the low
    battery warning to appear at whatever remaining capacity you want.

    SMS, Aug 6, 2007

  3. Rohit

    ASAAR Guest

    You continue to spout drivel. If you'd bother to look, you'd find
    a number of devices that provide accurate multi-segment battery
    meters that work for both alkaline and NiMH batteries. The
    displayed segments represent more or less equal amounts of battery
    life, not, as you imply, many hours for the first one or two
    segments and only minutes for the last few segments. This is easy,
    not difficult, and it's available in relatively inexpensive devices,
    not multi-kilobuck gear designed for the military or for gov't use.

    !!! Whoosh !!!

    Say it ain't so, SMS. You were really *pretending* not to get
    it, right? That would go over the heads of only the most
    technically illiterate, and nobody with your background could have
    possibly not understood unless they were really stup.... Oops.
    Pardon. Caught that one before it went over *my* head. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 6, 2007
  4. Rohit

    SMS Guest

    Maybe 3000 mile oil changes would be another good digression.

    SMS, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Rohit

    SMS Guest

    The high end now uses lithium-polymer, but still a lot of Ni-Cad being
    used, as well as NiMH.

    SMS, Aug 7, 2007
  6. Rohit

    SMS Guest

    One attraction of Li-Po batteries in RC devices is that the voltage
    range is narrower than a Li-Ion, about 1 volt. Not as good as a NiMH or
    NiCad battery, but the tremendous weight and size advantage of Li-Po
    batteries over Ni-Cad and NiMH batteries makes them the top choice for
    the high end.

    SMS, Aug 7, 2007
  7. Rohit

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Allen:

    The 2500 mAh ones have lasted, around 8 days, thus far. I think the
    2100's went 2 weeks or so, but I wasn't sure whether they were fully
    charged, at the factory (or ran down, a bit, since shipment).
    The Office 8K's eight buttons are quite handy, yet a prime reason that
    I purchased it, in the first place, is the fact it uses rechargeables.
    However, my previous Microsoft "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer" didn't,
    according to its manufacturer (and I heeded MS's advice, and never
    tried any, in it).

    With a of pair AA alkalines installed, I'd go about 2 weeks, before
    being warned of low cells; then, I could milk another couple of days
    out of them, before they died, completely.

    As a test, I put alkalines in the Office 8K, also. They ran about 15
    days and then, the mouse just went dead, suddenly (unlike its Microsoft
    counterpart, the A4 Tech device doesn't relay any power information).

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 7, 2007
  8. Rohit

    John Turco Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:

    Hello, Neil:

    Yeah, and now, a lot of the radio control airplanes (and helicopters),
    themselves, are battery powered! The technological advancements in
    electric motors, since the early 1990's, has been somewhat breathtaking.

    Compared with earlier ones, they're so much more powerful, yet are more
    energy efficient, at the same time.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 7, 2007
  9. Rohit

    Allen Guest

    Thanks, John. I must admit that I didn't read the instructions that came
    with my MS mouse, other that the setup instructions. I love the freedom
    of a wireless mouse. I use alkalines in mine, and they usually last for
    about four months. I put a pair of lithiums in it (Energizer, as I
    recall) and they lasted for about two months, although batteries from
    the same pack had a very long life span in my old Canon PS A70. The only
    real problem that I have with the wireless is that my cats occasionally
    move the receiver into places where it doesn't pick up signals. There is
    something about computers that attracts cats--at least mine.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 7, 2007
  10. That was a joke. (I hate when I have to say that.)
    My understanding is that on laptops the battery indicator that says, for
    example, 53% of battery life remains, doesn't really measure anything that
    precisely -- it just works on some sort of algorithm that's based on the
    computer's past or known power usage vs. current usage since last charge (or
    something like that). While that sort of thing in a camera would really be
    nice, I suspect it'd be hard if not impossible to implement in one.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 7, 2007
  11. That's very interesting. There were some electric models back when I was
    flying also, but I don't think many modelers took them seriously then. I
    never actually saw one myself; no one in my club ever had one as far as I
    know. The main problem was the enormous battery requirements -- most of the
    electric models I saw in magazines had batteries taking up a huge amount of
    fuselage space -- they were practically flying battery packs! Recharging
    those batteries in the field must have been a project. And in those days the
    motors weren't very powerful compared to glow plug, I believe.

    But the advantages of electric over glow plug engines are obvious. No more
    oil from engine exhaust spread along the whole fuselage, and presumably no
    loss of flying fields from neighbors' complaints about noise. (My club lost
    the use of two or three fields for that reason.) Still, the glow plug
    engines were a large part of the fun, and I can't imagine enjoying R/C
    flying as much without them.

    Regards,

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Aug 7, 2007
  12. Rohit

    Gaile S. Guest

    I've figured it out. They have experience with batteries but not
    cameras nor photography. That's why they go on about it so much.
    They might as well be discussing this in rec.sex.toys for their
    vibrators.

    Gaile S., Aug 7, 2007
  13. Rohit

    GMAN Guest

    True, but for the size of an SD card, 32GB is amazing

    GMAN, Aug 8, 2007
  14. Rohit

    GMAN Guest

    My old parallel port SD/MMC/CF/SM memory card reader from 6 years ago reads
    the 8GB SDHC cards just fine

    GMAN, Aug 8, 2007
  15. Rohit

    GMAN Guest

    Many of us really consider the video capabilities of current cameras a gimmic
    rather than a usefull alternative to a camcorder.

    GMAN, Aug 8, 2007
  16. Rohit

    SMS Guest

    I had a cat that liked to chew through the mouse cords, so a wireless
    mouse was a big improvement.

    SMS, Aug 8, 2007
  17. Rohit

    SMS Guest

    Smart batteries base the remaining capacity on battery age, coulomb
    counting, and voltage. A laptop battery will typically have a
    micro-controller built into it, along with sensors for voltage and
    temperature. Some of it conforms to the Smart Battery Specification,
    which you can see at "http://sbs-forum.org/specs/sbc110.pdf", but
    manufacturers often exceed the requirements of the Smart Battery Spec.

    Most Li-Ion camera batteries are not "Smart Batteries" but the Nikon
    D200 battery does have some intelligence built into it, at least for
    increased accuracy in terms of capacity.

    I've used some "standard" notebook smart battery packs in reference
    designs of done for notebook computers. I've always used the packs at
    "http://www.inspired-energy.com/Standard_Products/NH2057/NH2057.htm"

    SMS, Aug 8, 2007
  18. Rohit

    allr1 Guest

    (GMAN)

    " Many of us really consider the video capabilities of current cameras a
    gimmic rather than a usefull alternative to a camcorder. "

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Actually, when they can do VGA at 30fps, and in widescreen mode, as the
    newer panasonics can, the video is pretty decent quality. Better than
    most videos on YouTube.com.

    It's the audio that tends to be lacking. That's why the S3 has my
    interests. It can record 16-bit stereo audio.

    IIRC, it can do VGA at 60fps too. (not sure about wide-screen though)

    allr1, Aug 8, 2007
  19. Rohit

    John Turco Guest

    Allen wrote:

    Hello, Allen:

    I do, too.
    Personally, I just wish that >any< type of battery would last, a month,
    at a minimum.

    Oh, well...using Ni-MH is much better than needing to buy more alkalines
    or other non-rechargeable cells, all the time!
    What's so odd, about a cat chasing a mouse, eh? :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 10, 2007
  20. Rohit

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Neil:

    Well, obviously, electric motors still can't match the torque of
    "glow plug" engines and, most likely, never will. They >have< made
    great strides, regardless.
    I always hated the piercing racket and messy hassles, also.
    The only R/C stuff that I ever operated, were cars and army tanks (all
    electric). I did build and fly a U-Control "glow plug" airplane (balsa
    kit), thirty years ago; although, I vastly preferred rubber-powered,
    free-flight models.

    Anyhow, I owned hundreds of unbuilt kits, once -- automobiles, aircraft,
    ships, etc. Nearly all were plastic, except for some wood-and-tissue
    planes and a few metal cars. I sold the whole lot, for $1000 USD, in the
    early 1990's.

    Okay, there, you have it...the confessions of a frustrated (former)
    modeler! <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 10, 2007