    light, or just not as good as others? Also, does the viewfinder have a
    diopter focus? Thanks for any help.

    Edward

    edward101, Feb 17, 2006

  2. I've had the S2 for some months now, and would agree that the LCD
    screen is difficult to use in bright light. But I would suggest this is
    so with most digicams, and there are several options for adding an
    after market hood to the back, though this makes the camera harder to
    pack.

    So I leave the LCD screen almost permanently switched off and use the
    EVF exclusively. This saves battery, and has the advantage of diopter
    adjustment, so I can leave my reading glasses packed away. There are
    two brightness settings for the EVF/LCD, and on the higher setting I've
    never had a problem seeing the screen. Note that you can use the EVF
    (diopter adjusted!) for shooting, playback, and changing settings via
    the menus.

    With several thousand shots on the clock, I must say I've been entirely
    satisfied with the camera. You need to be more "focus aware" than with
    the smaller point-and-shoots, because the long lens can deliver a very
    narrow depth-of-field at large apertures, but this is a feature rather
    than a limitation, especially for people shots, and is easily
    overridden via the Av setting. The IS is also fantastic!

    HTH.

    /M

    Scarlet Pimpernel, Feb 17, 2006

  3. edward101

    John H Guest

    I've had the S2 for some months now and would make the same
    observations as above.

    John H

    John H, Feb 17, 2006
  4. edward101

    snapper Guest

    Viewfinder is OK in bright light, LCD is useless in bright light, as is the LCD screen on every
    digital camera that I have played with.

    It has a diopter adjustment.

    snapper, Feb 17, 2006
  5. I've had my S2 for about 6 months and agree with you.

    I do use the LCD, but not in bright sunlight.

    Scott in Florida, Feb 17, 2006
  6. edward101

    Edward Guest

    Thanks for all of the responses. I ordered one today!

    Edward, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Excellent! Now get yourself off to the lensmate website and get a lens
    adapter and UV filter (http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html) for
    $35-odd (for both), to stick on the front to keep that lens in good order!

    Have fun!

    /M

    Moro Grubb of Little Delving, Feb 18, 2006