    to do with the flash intensity or sync. Please, any feedback would be
    appreciated.
    Thanks

    Richard J. Taylor, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Richard J. Taylor

    Bryce Guest

    Why would you think that it wouldn't have red-eye with the flash that close
    to the lens?

    Bryce, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Richard J. Taylor

    Chris Brown Guest

    Use an external flash and bounce it. Red-eye is pretty much inevitable with
    popup flashes.

    Chris Brown, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Richard J. Taylor

    Ed E. Guest

    The flash is nothing more than a convenience feature and a means to pacify
    those who would complain that it doesn't have a built-in flash. It's not
    very effective.

    Do yourself a favor and get an external flash. Like the Canon Speedlite
    420EX, the 550EX, or the Sigma EF-500 DG Super.

    Ed E., Feb 12, 2004
  5. Richard J. Taylor

    Mark B. Guest

    Get an external flash unit. The Canon 550EX or Sigma EF-500 Super DG will
    be ideal, they both have flash exposure compensation which the 300D does not
    have.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 12, 2004
  6. any flash mounted that close to the lens axis will cause redeye. get
    a flash that mounts on the hotshoe. needn't be expensive, although
    expensive ones will let you use all the buttons on the camera.

    -Luigi
    doesn't like many buttons

    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    photos, rants, raves

    Luigi de Guzman, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Richard J. Taylor

    Rick Guest

    Thanks for the feedback. One question, how do you determine the angle of
    the flash? Will most likely buy the 420EX.

    Rick, Feb 13, 2004
  8. I have 1 major complain with my new Canon 300 digital Rebel, RED EYE.....
    Or maybe red-eye is caused by having the flash too close to the lens in
    low light conditions.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Richard J. Taylor

    Mark B. Guest

    You leave it pointing straight-on, or you can tilt & swivel it manually to
    bounce off a nearby wall or reflector. Keep in mind, the 420EX doesn't have

    Mark B., Feb 13, 2004
  10. It depends on the distance from the flash to the lens compared to the distance
    of the subject to the lens, and the angle that the light is coming from. For
    instance, I've gotten red-eye when shooting subjects at 45 feet from the
    camera using an external flash mounted near the camera. According to the usual
    rule of thumb, the distance from the subject to the camera should be at least
    10-12 times the distance of the flash to the camera to avoid red-eye, which
    would mean I would need to get the flash 4 feet away from the camera.

    Bouncing the light off the ceiling helps a bit because it changes where the
    light is coming from (ie, the ceiling in this case). It also makes for softer
    shadows.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 13, 2004