    dng file format.

    What's the best way to import those raw files into camera raw?

    Greetings and thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    sobriquet, Apr 25, 2009

  2. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Hmmmm.. I've managed to get CHDK working on the sx1, which was a bit
    of a hassle (having to split up a 16 GB SDHC card into two separate
    partitions so it will boot CHDK from a write-protected card).
    Now it will safe pictures in the DNG format.
    Irfanview reads them fine, but neither photoshop (cs4), bridge (cs4)
    or camera raw (5.3) will read the DNG files.
    Anyone out there who has any suggestions on how to convert the raw
    files (either the original CR2 files or the DNG files that CHDK
    produces) into a format that ACR will swallow or do I simply have to
    wait for the next update of ACR for SX1 RAW support?

    sobriquet, Apr 26, 2009

  3. sobriquet

    jimbok Guest

    I use CHDK in a Canon A720IS and the DNG files it creates read without
    any problems, in Photoshop CS4. It sound like your version of CHDK
    might still be a little buggy. Drop an inquiry to the CHDK forum
    about your problem. The developers are pretty responsive.
    Another possible workaround is to convert the CHDK RAW files to DNG
    with a freeware program such as "DNG4PS-2" which might work with your
    camera's RAW files. It does work with my A720 RAW files.
    http://code.google.com/p/dng4ps2/

    Other programs that will read CHDK RAW files directly are
    "RawTherapee, DCRAW, and a few others.
    If these options don't work for you, you might have to wait for ACR to
    catch up with the native Canon SX1 raw files.

    jimbok, Apr 26, 2009
  4. sobriquet

    Bob Larter Guest

    That's weird. PS should be able to read them without any problems. Have
    you tried asking in the Adobe PS forums?
    Perhaps so.

    Bob Larter, Apr 26, 2009
  5. sobriquet

    ray Guest

    No need to wait - try ufraw.

    ray, Apr 26, 2009
  6. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    I happen to have a Powershot A720 as well and indeed the DNG files
    created by CHDK on that camera are read without problems by Adobe
    Camera Raw.
    http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3602.0.html

    Some responses, but I guess I'll have to wait for an update of the
    beta CHDK
    firmware for the SX1.
    The problem is not that I'm unable to read the raw files of the SX1,
    it's just that I can't get them into Adobe Camera Raw. UFraw for
    instance doesn't have any problems reading the DNG files from the SX1.

    sobriquet, May 9, 2009
  7. sobriquet

    jimbok Guest

    Understood, but if you can convert the RAW files to DNG, using the
    program referenced above, ACR should be able to read those converted
    DNG files.

    jimbok, May 10, 2009