canon powershots flaking out

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Modrall, Dec 30, 2008.

  1. Mark Modrall

    Mark Modrall Guest

    Hi...

    About 5 or 6 years ago, I bought my wife a Canon Powershot A75 as a
    starter digital camera. She liked it well enough and it suited a number
    of needs, so a couple of years ago I upgraded her to an A570.

    The problem is that starting this summer they both started to crash
    and burn. The A75 light meter and focus got very erratic. If you light
    abstract/impressionist stuff, well okay. If you want it to take a
    picture of what you're looking at not so good. Didn't matter how many
    fresh batteries you put in it, it just did a very strange job.

    The A570 then started doing weird stuff (which was more disappointing
    since it's relatively new). When you selected one mode (say Manual) it
    would start responding to a different mode (say video). All the
    settings appeared scrambled. Then recently the focus seemed to go as
    well.

    So,
    1) Are these even worth fixing? Repair in a shop would obviously cost a
    fair amount.

    2) Is this kind of sloppy failure common to Canon?

    3) What brand of entry-level digital camera would be better?

    Thanks
    Mark

    Mark Modrall, Dec 30, 2008

  2. Mark Modrall

    ASAAR Guest

    ASAAR, Dec 30, 2008

  3. Mark Modrall

    ASAAR Guest

    What kind of environment are these cameras used in, or where are
    they stored? Is there any pollution problem or salt air near where
    you live?

    Nope. Not unless they're still under some kind of warranty.

    Nope. It's not even typical of Canon's products.

    Not really better, you could find some other brands that are
    similarly good. Last week I saw Canon's A590 IS on sale in Staples
    for $129. That might be worth considering as it's also a very nice
    camera and your wife wouldn't have any relearning to do or memory
    cards to buy, as it's practically identical to the A570 IS.

    ASAAR, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Mark Modrall

    Nervous Nick Guest

    I concur. I got the A590 IS for my GF a few months ago (same price,
    $129, at Circuit City) and we are both very pleased with it. From the
    looks of some of her macro shots* (she is a total newbie), the IS is
    doing its job quite nicely for her, even though she has so far not
    gotten around to reading the manual.

    * http://flickr.com/photos/prairiesunshine/3030324785/sizes/l/

    Nervous Nick, Dec 30, 2008
  5. Mark Modrall

    Alan Meyer Guest

    I once screwed up a camera by taking it near a powerful
    x-ray machine in a hospital. The camera sort of worked
    after that but was flaky.

    Ah well, at least they seem to have cured my cancer.

    Alan Meyer, Dec 31, 2008
  6. Mark Modrall

    measekite Guest

    No. You can get much improved technology for not a whole lot more than
    repairing the old stuff.
    Do not know but have not read any negative reports like this.
    Canon and in particular the Canon SD880 has been getting rave reviews.

    measekite, Dec 31, 2008
  7. You really sure?
    This is not one of these nice x-rays at airports ore something you use
    for x-ray images of your broken leg...
    I don't know how many magnitudes the cancer-curing x-rays are stronger
    than the ones used for imaging purposes, but it's quite a bit.
    X-ray can cause electrical circuits to charge and break.

    but i would also call it quite bad luck!

    I would imagine that the worst that could happen to electronics would be
    an MRI...

    kruemi

    Marco Tedaldi, Dec 31, 2008
  8. Mark Modrall

    J. Clarke Guest

    Are you sure that it was an x-ray and not a particle accelerator?

    J. Clarke, Dec 31, 2008
  9. Mark Modrall

    Mark Modrall Guest

    Thanks for responding...

    We live inland in the woods, no unusual pollution to speak of. We're
    45 minutes drive from the ocean so probably no appreciable salt air
    either. They just sit on the desk when not in use...
    I think the warranty on the 570 is less than a year, so it's a bit
    out of warranty... The A75 is obviously long out of warranty.
    Well, we've had a fair amount of difficulty with our Canon inkjets,
    most recently with our pixma 6700. Haven't ever gotten it to feed paper
    properly and the online support is worthless ("Have you tried plugging
    it in?")

    Now with the Canon cameras dying so young we were thinking may
    another brand would be better.

    One of the inlaws is a professional photographer and he bought one of
    the family a nikon pocket camera. That nikon was a bit toooo entry
    level (not enough of the zoom, macro, video, etc features) but...
    Well, that is a good point - the consistent interface and the memory
    cards being transferable. Sometimes Staples does the "recycle your old
    one" discount deal, too...

    Mark Modrall, Dec 31, 2008
  10. Mark Modrall

    ASAAR Guest

    They usually don't in hospitals, due to clearly posted rules.
    There are non-restricted areas where they are allowed, usually in
    cafeterias and near the elevators that visitors are required to use.
    The proofs you offer ("Just ask any x-ray tech") are almost always
    useless, nothing more than pure innuendo. Post something definitive
    and verifiable and the world will reel in shock and awe!

    ASAAR, Jan 1, 2009
  11. Mark Modrall

    ASAAR Guest

    You need to read more slowly, since comprehension isn't your
    forte. Show where I said anything about "harm". I spoke not of
    harm but of posted rules related to cell phones. How many x-ray
    technicians wear cell phones in violation of posted rules? I spent
    many months in hospitals earlier this year and last, visiting
    patients, and noticed many of those signs, and heard doctors and
    nurses warn people to turn off their cell phones. I'm not saying
    whether failure to do so would result in harm or not, I'm saying
    that I don't make the rules, but I recognize them when I see them,
    which you've apparently never seen or noticed.

    If you wanted to be taken seriously you wouldn't make clearly
    observable false statements. But you do, and aren't taken
    seriously, so you do have a burden, though not the one you were
    thinking of. Now if your twit filter has activated your defensive
    shields, you won't see this. Lucky you! Cognitive dissonance can
    be so painful . . .

    ASAAR, Jan 1, 2009
  12. Mark Modrall

    Alan Meyer Guest

    There was no dropping involved.

    This machine was delivering much more more than standard
    diagnostic x-rays. It was a machine used for cancer treatment,
    delivering heavy doses of ionizing radiation.

    I had put my briefcase down in the treatment room about 10
    feet from the gurney with the target (me) on it. The machine
    was then setup in such a way that it would rotate around me,
    firing off x-rays from four different angles, one of which
    apparently covered the area where the briefcase was sitting.
    The emitter on the machine was only about two feet from the
    focal point (my prostate), so in another 10 feet after that
    on my other side the beam widened considerably, but was
    apparently still pretty powerful. I believe I was getting
    a total of 200 centigreys per treatment, but how much of that
    fell on the camera I don't know.

    The effect on the camera (a Canon S30) was that the LCD
    display on the back was screwed up. I was able to keep using
    the camera because it had an optical viewfinder. Some weeks
    later the camera started to work fine again.

    Then I took it through an airport scanner and it was messed
    up again. It recovered, but got messed up on the return
    trip through the scanner. On my next trip I tried to convince
    the airport security to just inspect the camera by hand but
    a heavyweight came out and gave me three choices. I could
    put the camera through the scanner, I could give him the
    camera (I guess he didn't mind if he blew up), or I could
    continue to protest and be arrested. I put the camera
    through the scanner and the LCD never worked again after
    that.

    I theorize that the x-ray treatment machine in the hospital
    did significant damage, rendering the LCD electronics
    marginal, and the lower dose airport scanners finished them
    off. But you can't argue with Homeland Security. The only
    thing they understand are rigid rules.

    Some of you will doubt this story but I swear that the facts
    I've related are 100% true. It is possible that my interpretation
    of those facts is wrong, but the sequence of events that I have
    described is accurate.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 1, 2009
  13. Mark Modrall

    J. Clarke Guest

    The kind of machine you're describing uses a linear acceleator to
    generate a high energy x-ray beam. It's not the same as an imaging
    x-ray, which is designed for minimum dose.

    The LINAC has some very powerful magnets in it--it's basically a
    brute-force atom-smasher diverted to other use.

    J. Clarke, Jan 1, 2009
  14. Mark Modrall

    Alan Meyer Guest

    There are no other people in the treatment room. The
    technicians set up the patient and then leave the room,
    observing from a shielded window. The entire room is,
    I was told, surrounded by lead lined walls and ceiling,
    and there was a massive sliding door.

    Otherwise, I'm sure you're right. Anyone else in the
    room would have been harmed.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 2, 2009
  15. Mark Modrall

    Alan Meyer Guest

    I looked up photos of linac machines on Google. Indeed, that
    was the kind of machine I was treated with.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 2, 2009
  16. Mark Modrall

    tony cooper Guest

    How'd that happen? I've never seen a camera do a line. You set it
    down on your mirror?

    tony cooper, Jan 6, 2009