Canon Powershot S400 focusing problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by louise, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. louise

    louise Guest

    I have recently purchased the S400 and have been trying to
    use it in manual mode with the manual focus rather than
    using the AIFF which is very confusing to me because of its
    many rectangles and the fact that the camera makes the
    decision as to the main subject on which to focus. I am
    accustomed to a good SLR and this is my first digital
    camera.

    My pictures are out of focus more often than I would expect
    and they seem to come out better when I use the AIFF, which
    I don't understand. I really prefer the manual focus so
    that I can place the rectangle on the primary subject and
    then, holding the shutter release halfway down, compose and
    shoot.

    What might I be doing or not doing, that leads their
    automatic system to create a sharper image?

    Louise

    louise, Jul 23, 2003

  2. louise

    keitje Guest

    Sadly, there is no manual focus on this camera.

    What you did is turning off the aiff (which focuses on
    other parts of the image than the center of the image,
    the rectangles are the parts of the image where is focused
    on).

    When you turn off the aiff you are in the center-focusing
    mode (the focus-rectangle is in the center, and is not a manual
    focusing), which I much more prefer than that annoying aiff.

    What I experiences with the s400 is, that it focuses oke,
    but the far distance is never really sharp.

    greetings
    keitje

    keitje, Jul 23, 2003

  3. louise

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Try choosing the "mountain" icon which should focus the camera to
    infinity.
    That's not inherent in digital cameras though it's somewhat inherent
    in any camera with a very small sensor (either a small digicam or
    a subminiature film camera). If you get a Canon 10D the results should
    be as about good as your 35mm SLR.

    Paul Rubin, Jul 23, 2003
  4. louise

    keitje Guest

    :))
    I also compared my s400 with my Nikon (801).
    and the latter is really sharp in the distance.
    My s400 is sharper than my old s100 though
    (and brighter), so I think I should be satisfied.

    greetings
    keitje

    keitje, Jul 24, 2003