Canon Powershot S400 Corrupt Files. Blame camera or CF Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Huber, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. Dave  Huber

    Dave Huber Guest

    Greetings:

    I have a Canon PowerShot S400 with a Lexar Compact Flas 256MB (12x)
    card.
    I am aware of Lexar problems with SOME Canon Cameras, but have not seen
    information on THIS camera.

    I am trying to determine if Camera or Card is to blame for the
    following:

    After about 18 months without problems, I started experiencing loss of
    files. The camera sometimes reports: "Corrupted Data". Sometimes it
    does not report an error. Files cannot be retrieved with a USB reader.

    I WAS able to retrieve some with ZAR 8.0, which did a great job where
    other attempts failed.

    Symptoms:
    Some files are fine.
    Some files disappear altogether.
    Some files' thumbnails look fine, File is completely black.
    some files have about 1/16th at top ok then black or random colors.
    some files appear rearranged and rotated, like a puzzle.

    Any ideas or experience would be appreciated. I am planning a trip and
    need to decide whether the Card or Camera is to blame. I'd hate to
    scrap the camera if the card is the culprit. I'd hate to go on a trip
    with the camera acting this way.

    Thanks for your help or input.

    Dave

    Dave Huber, Oct 12, 2006

  2. Dave  Huber

    Roy G Guest

    Buy another Card, from Sandisc, or whoever, not Lexar, take some photos
    with the new card in, and see if they are all Ok. Cards are cheap, very
    cheap, at the moment.

    If they are, your problem is solved.

    If not it is the Camera. Just ensure you replace it with one which takes
    the same kind of card, and you will also have increased your storage
    capacity.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Dave  Huber

    Bill Crocker Guest

    [clipped]

    Have you tried re-formatting the card while it's in the camera? If the card
    turns out to be bad, Lexar has a good warranty.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 12, 2006
  4. Dave  Huber

    GregS Guest

    I don't like using more than a 32 MB card. I have lost pictures myself.
    Its a bit easier now than a few years ago. I was trying to see if the files were
    still good, as the camera could not read the card. No stores had card readers
    then. When I got back home the card reader did OK but the camera could not
    read the card. Its happened to me more than once.

    greg

    GregS, Oct 12, 2006
  5. Dave  Huber

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Bill's idea of reformatting the card is a good one.
    I agree with trying that.

    I'm not an expert, but I guess that battery problems are
    another possible cause of lost images. Maybe you're
    battery is not putting out the same voltage it did when
    it was new, or maybe the contacts between battery and
    camera, or between camera and card are dirty. If the
    voltage is near the threshold of what is needed to write
    a clean signal on the card, maybe some of the bits are
    not being recorded right and parity check failures are
    occurring.

    If you've got a voltmeter you may be able to compare the
    reading of the battery to what the specs say, though
    you can't really get an accurate reading unless you
    test it under load. I'm not sure how to do that. Some
    others on the group can probably tell you.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Dave  Huber

    Dave Huber Guest

    Alan,

    Your Power suggestion turns out to be close to the mark.

    I have noticed that the card access door is a little iffy. It
    sometimes pops open, so I have kept it closed with tape. No problem.
    However, when it flexes away from the little switch, power is
    interrupted momentarily. It comes back immediately, but could well
    interfere with writing a file.
    Thanks.
    I'll try forcing the swich closed and see if that works.
    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave Huber, Oct 12, 2006