Canon PowerShot S1 IS -- Sunrise Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renee, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Renee

    Renee Guest

    If you'd like to take a look, go to
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2D7326D8

    If you don't want to register, choose
    Already A Member
    Email Address:
    Password: guest

    The photos display better at high resolution on my computer. Let me
    know if you'd like the settings from the EXIF data on any of these (if
    you don't want to download the hi-res pics to see them). I used
    different zoom levels -- you can see the more colorful ones were taken
    at close-up zooms. I also played around with some of the other
    settings and creative modes, and used exposure bracketing. Practically
    all the photos posted are at -1 stop -- I think they looked the best.

    These were done without any post-processing, so I guess there's still
    room for improvement.

    Taken from a rocking ship, and though the IS helped, some of the
    photos that came out blurry were deleted. And it was hard keeping some
    of the horizons level, too. The camera was placed on the ship's rail
    while taking the shots to steady it, but I don't know if that's the
    best way on a moving ship.

    I'm still new at this and hope to get feedback, so you're welcome to
    leave comments here or on the site. I also thought this would be
    helpful for anyone who might consider buying the S1, and to see
    another aspect (good or bad) of what an amateur can do with it.

    Sorry for such a long message and thanks in advance for looking!

    Renee

    Renee, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Renee

    SleeperMan Guest

    Renee typed:
    Nice photos. One suggestion - try some experimenting with fixed ISO set to
    50 or max. 100. On some photos there are some visible noise present. I found
    out that it's best to have ISO set to 50 constantly and results are quite
    excellent. If you have on auto, camera pretty quickly sets it to high value.
    However, low ISO results in longer exposure times in low light conditions,
    but especially in low light noise comes out and becomes visible.

    SleeperMan, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Renee

    Alan D Guest

    Just my preference, but I like the shots that are framed with 2/3 sky and
    1/3 water rather than 50/50. The sky is more interesting anyway than black
    water. Those are some nice shots.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Renee

    Renee Guest

    D a r n !

    I forgot to try the ISO 50 setting like you told me!
    I thought that high ISO results in longer exposure time . . . because you'd
    use it in conjunction with using a fast shutter (short exposure time) in
    dark conditions. Now this is getting confusing

    Renee, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Yes, you are right! The sky IS more interesting than the black water. I
    don't know why I didn't notice that when I was taking them. Looks like some
    serious cropping is in order.

    Renee, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Renee

    Alan D Guest

    Are you familiar with the rule of thirds? Divide your frame into a
    tic-tac-toe -- 9 squares. In this case, the sky would be the top two
    thirds. For objects of interest like people or buildings, rather than
    centering, you would put them on either the right or left vertical line.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Yes, I heard about that rule. I thought it was just for people and other
    objects of interest. I didn't realize you should use it for sunrises,
    sunsets, and landscapes, too, where there is no specific subject. Thank you
    for that tip, Alan.

    Next time I'm going to give a little more thought to my composition instead
    of shooting away like I did.

    Renee, Jul 20, 2004
  8. There are three (?) items which one can adjust to change the amount
    of signal coming out of the camera's sensor.

    1. Aperture (the F-stop). A bigger aperture (lower F-number) gives
    you more light. Everything else being equal, more light gives you
    more signal out the back end of your camera's sensor.

    2. Shutter speed. A faster shutter speed reduces the amount of light
    falling on the sensor. Everything else being equal, less light gives
    you less signal out the back end of your camera's sensor.

    3. ISO. ISO is a measure of the amount of sensitivity gain that gets
    applied to the camera's sensor. The higher the ISO, the more
    sensitive the camera is to a given amount of light. Everything else
    being equal, a higher ISO gives you more signal out the back end of
    your camera's sensor. It also increases the amount of noise.

    So, if you have your ISO set to a low value (like 50), you can get
    a brighter image by either opening up the aperture or by using a
    slower shutter speed.

    Unless you're looking for a particular effect, you should probably
    keep your ISO as low as possible and work with aperture and shutter
    speed to get the exposure you want.

    In dim conditions, you may end up with your aperture as wide as it
    can go and still not have enough light reaching the sensor for you to
    use a shutter speed that limits the effects from camera shake or the
    motion of your subject. At that point you can either use a tripod
    to limit the camera shake or increase the ISO, sacrificing a bit of
    noise for a less motion-blurred image.

    BJJB

    BillyJoeJimBob, Jul 20, 2004
  9. That site requires you to enter your personal data up to the
    sexual inclination of your grandmother. Not good.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Renee

    Renee Guest

    LOL!

    I hope you were honest with them, HG!

    B-T-W, I picked that site because I'm going have them make me prints. They
    have a 12 cent summer sale. I know, I heard it said you get what you pay
    for, but I'm going to try them anyway. I don't seem to be as picky as the
    rest of you since I don't have that professional eye. So I'm sure they'll be
    fine. Just the same, I'll let you all know how they turn out! They'll be the
    first prints I'll have made with my new camera.

    Renee, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Renee

    SleeperMan Guest

    BillyJoeJimBob typed:
    Excellent explanation. Thanks, Billy.

    I have (for now) ISO always set to 50 - i got to that hard way - i shot
    something in the church(low light) and setting was sports - result was high
    noise, as (as i see now) sports use high shutter speed in order to get
    sharp, non blurred images. Of course, it rises ISO to heaven...now i see
    that sports is only usable in bright light, or only outdoor.

    SleeperMan, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Renee

    Renee Guest

    As Sleeperman's post reminded me, I neglected to thank you for taking the
    time to write up such a wonderful explanation.

    Thank you

    : )

    Renee, Jul 20, 2004