    setting. It is not usable like it is. If it is broken is this a LCD
    problem or a camera problem(ie should I look to replace the LCD or
    have the camera repaired/replace)

    alex0603, Apr 8, 2007

  2. alex0603

    Fred Soenkes Guest

    I think you can not turn off the backlight (except for the Display button).
    The power supply for the backlight (DC/DC converter) might have died - shit
    happens. Repair is probably not a good idea but I would contact Canon
    anyway, maybe they have a replacement deal with a newer model.

    Fred Soenkes, Apr 8, 2007

  3. alex0603

    Ron Recer Guest

    Have you checked the menu setting for the LCD? I have a G1 and there is a
    menu setting "LCD Brightness" that has two settings. Later models may have
    more options.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Apr 8, 2007
  4. alex0603

    davy Guest

    As you say it does sound like the backlight.

    This is in form of a flourescent tube.... but without the heaters at
    it's end's, they are what you call a CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent
    Lamp), these lamps require an exitation voltage of a few hundred volt's,
    this is derived from a dc - dc inverter' that increases the voltage
    from the battery.

    The backlight could easily go - but normally there is some indication,
    they usually either flicker or the 'whites' in the picture become
    tinted, it's very unusual for them to 'just go'....

    .. as Fred suggest's, could be the inverter, these can give the same
    fault above or suddenly go.. don't go thinking the worse because....

    .. it 'may' just be a simple ribbon connector cable that's either come
    loose or requires replacment - note these are kinda' like a flat tape
    with silver strips as the wires and are easily broken.

    But do make sure and follow Fred's advice to check the button or screen
    control.

    Davy

    davy, Apr 8, 2007