    in playback..

    Is this the same for all these Canon models..?

    Thanks

    Robert Mathews, May 3, 2004

  2. Robert Mathews

    Bryn James Guest

    It is certainly so on my new Ixus 500 - i.e. histogram on replay mode
    only.

    Bryn James, May 3, 2004

  3. Robert Mathews

    Jack Guest

    I have the 410 and it displays the histogram in record mode.
    I can't recall if you have to hit the "set" button to display it or if it
    shows up when you press the display button twice to get into the detail
    mode, but it is displayed. I was a bit concerned about this, but it is not a
    problem.

    -Jack

    that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    Jack, May 3, 2004
  4. It will display the histogram of an image that you just shot in the
    "review" substate of record mode, or in play mode. But, as far as I can
    tell, it will *not* show you a histogram of the image in the LCD before
    you've shot an image.

    I think the latter is what the original poster was asking about. Some
    cameras do show you a live histogram of the preview image, which can be
    useful in setting exposure (in manual) or exposure compensation (in
    auto). But Canons only provide histograms of already-shot images.
    (At least for the ones I've used, including the 410).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 3, 2004
  5. Robert Mathews

    Jack Guest

    Yes, that is correct. But it is easy enough to push the shutter button in
    order to get a reading and if it is right, then you are done and don't need
    to make adjustments :)

    -Jack

    Jack, May 3, 2004
  6. Well, it's not really the same thing. Imagine having the camera in
    manual mode and you're adjusting aperture or shutter speed in 1/3 stop
    steps. With a live histogram, the histogram would update after every
    change in exposure conditions, and you could easily place the highlights
    right up near the right end without clipping. You could make several
    adjustments per second. This won't work if you have to shoot an image
    between each adjustment.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 3, 2004
  7. Robert Mathews

    Jack Guest

    I know it is a limitation, but if you are shooting something static it works
    out OK.
    If you are shooting active subjects then even the sort of adjustment you are
    describing might be too slow.
    Admittedly the IXUS cameras are not as capable as a dSLR, but then again,
    they fit in your shirt pocket.
    Oh, and the dSLR's don't offer a histogram until after the shot either...
    :)

    -Jack

    Jack, May 4, 2004

  8. Well my Sony F717 does but was after a small camera to use in the car, I did
    play with a Casio and notice that had a active Histogram but most of the
    shops here will not demonstrate cameras that use Custom batteries..

    And I find that reviews are not that clear on the subject..

    My Other choices are the Pentax Option S4i , Casio R51, yuck it uses AA
    batteries and the Sony T1, but had a few bad comments on the T1..

    Robert Mathews, May 5, 2004