    There is a website that does some nice reviews on all these cameras but I
    don't recall the site. I am sure someone else will post it here for you.

    CaptainKrunch

    CaptainKrunch, Feb 1, 2004

  2. CaptainKrunch

    Nikky Koolia Guest

    I am an amateur photographer in the market for my first digital camera
    and am looking for something in the £200 to £300 range with advanced
    features and manual controls. I've narrowed it down to the above two
    camera but am hoping to get more detailed feedback of the two. The
    Olympus appears to have lots of manual features but i can't get any
    details on the manual feature the Canon has.

    Could anyone who has used either of the cameras help me make up my
    mind. Thanks

    Nikky Koolia, Feb 4, 2004

  3. I have a Canon Powershot A70, which is to my knowledge very similar to the
    A80. On the A70 you have almost the same features as on Canon's EOS 300 if
    you know that. With the turn button you can either choose fully manual,
    aperture or time priority and a fully automatic setting where you only can
    manually set values like ASA, flash etc. It also has fully automatic snap
    shot settings, of course. I can't tell you anything about the Olympus
    camera (except that my general impression is that the video function on
    Olympus cameras are inferiour to Canon's), but I do believe that you won't
    regret buying the A80.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Myklebust, Feb 4, 2004
  4.
    Guenter Fieblinger, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Nikky,

    do have a look at the Canon G2 that may be discounted into the price range
    you are considering.
    All the manual controls, very usable swivelling LCD in addition to optical
    viewfinder. Long life battery. Stunning pictures.
    On the downside: some shutter lag, to heavy and large for shirt pocket.

    Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Feb 4, 2004
  6. CaptainKrunch

    Freemale Guest

    I can only comment on the A80 which I bought as a pocket camera. Excellent
    results. Image quality is stunning. The menu and controls are quick and
    easy. I have an Olympus 3030 and you can get lost in it's menus. The feature
    that has me hooked is that ' very usable swivelling LCD ' To be honest I
    would not buy a camera without it again. I'm waiting for them to fit one to
    a DSLR. It gives you fantastic freedom to frame a shot in an angle you want.
    No more wet knees or finding something to stand on.

    Freemale, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Benjamin Myklebust, Feb 5, 2004