    With my preferences, which would be the better camera for $300?

    Thanks for your help!

    Jake

    Jake Maxwell, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Jake Maxwell

    JanH. Guest

    I've got a Canon A80.
    I like the photo quality. I love the rotatable LCD screen.
    I dislike: LCD screen too small; shutter release annoyingly slow; no extra
    flash socket (so very "flat" flash photos).

    Regards, JanH.

    P.S.: High quality = large pictures. So what? In any photo programme you can
    reduce their size for web use or printing.

    JanH., Aug 2, 2004

  3. Jake Maxwell

    Jake Maxwell Guest

    How is the battery life and size of the camera?

    Thanks,
    Jake

    Jake Maxwell, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Jake Maxwell

    JanH. Guest

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Jake:

    I don't know how long the 4 AA-size batteries last because I immediately
    replaced them with rechargeable NiMH batteries. No problems there. Add their
    costs + recharger to your budget!

    As for the size of the Canon A80: the 4-AA-batteries holder makes the camera
    bulkier than digital cameras with a proprietary rechargeable battery, which
    are usually more slender. However, the battery "bulge" gives the camera a
    good grip. And you can buy AA batteries all over the globe!

    You really should get your hands on one before buying. Especially the slow
    shutter release needs your evaluation: it is so slow that my photo subjects
    either suffer from facial cramp (humans) or have already disappeared
    (animals).

    Regards, JanH.

    JanH., Aug 3, 2004
  5. Jake Maxwell

    chris French Guest

    Compared to my previous Olympus the batteries last ages - some 100's of
    images I guess (NiMH) - presumably because of the 4xAA's
    I like the size and shape of the A80. but it's not a camera for a shirt
    pocket, though ti will fit in a trouser pocket. Depends on what you want
    really.
    I don't find the shutter release any worse than many other similar
    digital cameras - pre focussing works well though if you have the time.

    chris French, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Jake Maxwell

    Kimberlee Guest

    I don't know about the Minolta, but Canon has firmware updates available on
    their websites.
    This corrected a few issues with the S1.
    I would definitely go for Canon. I've owned the Dimage Z1 and although I
    was generally happy with the camera, now that I own a Canon, I much prefer
    the Canon.
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Aug 3, 2004
  7. The G500 lacks an AF assist lamp, which essentially eliminates it from
    consideration if you're ever going to be using it in low light.

    The downside of the A80 is that it lacks a Li-Ion rechargeable
    battery. One upside of the A80 is Compact Flash, versus SD and Memory
    Stick on the G500.

    For $300, the A80 is your best choice.
    For $411, the S60 is awesome.

    See http://digitalcamerashortlist.com