Canon PowerShot A80 - 2 simple questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by asif zaidi, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. asif zaidi

    asif zaidi Guest

    Hi:

    Sorry if this is too simlpe for this newsgroup but I am new to digital
    photography and have purchased the Canon Powershot A80.

    I think the image quality is excellent but I have 2 questions

    1) in indoor, whenever I take photographs, the pictures I take are a
    bit dark. The pictures are quite sharp but just dark. Hope this makes
    sense.

    Is there a way I can increase the flash strength

    2) Also, is there a way I can put dates on the pictures when I store
    them on my hard-drive.

    Thanks

    Asif

    PS please post any responses to newsgroup. If you send me email to
    hotmail, it wil most probably be routes to junk folder where I will
    nto see it.

    asif zaidi, Jan 2, 2004

  2. asif zaidi

    SRA Guest

    Just a few quick ideas: you can change the ISO setting to 200 or 400 (like
    film speed). Or set the white balance up a bit. You won't have these choices
    in Auto mode. Set the mode dial on top to P (program) or M (manual) then
    press the FUNC button on the back. Use the round rocker switch to move up
    and down through the various options. When you're done press FUNC again. I
    believe in M you can also vary the amount of flash you want. This is all in
    the manual too!

    The camera does not date stamp. The date and all other settings are stored
    in data in each photo called exif data. Do a Google search for a free
    program called EXIFER, it can place watermarks on your photos with this
    info. Graphics programs will also allow you to place dates on photos but it
    varies from one to another.

    SRA, Jan 2, 2004

  3. asif zaidi

    Dazed Guest

    I just got the A80 for Xmas and I've taken about 2250 photos so far, but
    I'm a newbie to photography - here's some things I've gathered so far
    (so don't take it all for granted).

    Set it to 'M' for manual on the top circular dial, use the 'func' button
    and up/down to select the ISO section, setting it to the highest number
    (400) will increase the sensitivity to light but add more noise, for
    clean looking pictures use the lowest number whenever possible (e.g.:
    50) but this makes the photo darker (needs good light).

    Another thing to try is the aperture setting (displayed next to the
    shutter time, bottom center, with settings like F2.8 to F8.0). The
    smaller the number, the wider the lens opens and the more light is let
    in (apparently adjusting this also affects the depth of field relative
    to near and far objects or something). So for more light try F2.8, (when
    zoomed in the lowest setting is limited).

    Increasing the time the shutter is open will make the picture brighter
    (which is measured in seconds, e.g.: 15, 1, 1/4, 1/10, displayed near
    the bottom left onscreen.) - but this makes it more sensitive to camera
    shake and makes it easier to blur the image.

    Try like 1/4 -> 1/15 and try and keep it really still. Using the long
    times like 15, 10, 1 seconds really needs a tripod, or to rest the
    camera on something. Making the shutter open time shorter, like 1/25+
    will make the photo darker, but makes it easier to catch fast moving
    things without blurring.

    Lastly, when taking a photo and holding the photo taking button down
    half-way (when it does its auto focus thing & displays green/yellow
    rectangle/s) in the top left hand corner a number (exposure
    compensation) is displayed (E.g.: -2). Try adjusting the shutter speed
    and or aperture so that number is 0, I gather this is the best suggested
    brightness - but if its too dark - ignore it.
    In manual mode you can, although it may already have been on full if you
    had the camera set to automatic. Press the 'func' button (in shooting
    mode) to bring up the menu on the left, the top option (looks like a
    lightning arrow with +/- next to it) has 3 settings for 'flash output'.
    Moving the green bars to the far right will set it to full.
    The date & time (as well as camera settings) are already stored in the
    photos using EXIF data, I use EXIF InfoTip from:
    http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html this lets you see when you
    took the photo.

    Dazed, Jan 2, 2004
  4. asif zaidi

    Wayne J Guest

    If you are viewing the pictures on your monitor you may think the pictures
    are dark when it's actually your monitor. You may also be taking the picture
    out of flash range. With that type of camera the flashes are not usually
    that strong. Shooting at higher ISOs effectively increases the flash range.
    If those two things are not the problem and the camera really is
    underexposing you can adjust the exposure using your EV settings.

    Wayne

    Wayne J, Jan 2, 2004
  5. asif zaidi

    Aardvark Guest

    Just increase your ISO. I would suggest no more than ISO 200,
    since compact Digicams tend to be noisy above ISO 100.
    A real solution would be be use an external flash. You can
    either use an automatic flash mounted on a bracket, or change to
    a prosumer grade camera ( like the Canon G3, G5 ) that has a
    flash hotshoe. A used G3 is only a little more than a brand new
    A80.

    Aardvark, Jan 3, 2004