Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    I'm hoping someone more experienced with Canon PhotoStitch can help me with
    this:

    I've been trying to make some 360 degree panoramas using my new camera.

    Regardless of the settings I choose in PhotoStitch and regardless of the
    resolution I've taken the original photos at, whenever I create a 360 degree
    panorama and save it in Quicktime VR format, it always opens in Quicktime
    with a window size of about 400 pixels wide by 300 high.

    This happens if the saved image is not reduced in size (and the resulting
    file has a vertical resolution of 960 pixels) and consequently the Quicktime
    player has to be resized bigger. It also happens (400x300 player window) if
    the saved image is reduced to about 20% and the vertical resolution is 100
    pixels. Consequently the Quicktime window is then too big for the panorama
    and needs to be reduced.

    Can anyone suggest anything obvious I'm doing wrong or is this just a
    function of PhotoStitch? Are there any Quicktime settings I need to adjust
    and if so, how?

    Note: I'm using PhotoStitch 3.1 and Quicktime 6 on a WinXP machine.

    Thanks,

    Steven

    This message has been posted with a decoy email address
    to foil spammers and other nuisances.

    Please send all my spam to:

    To reply, directly to me, please email me at my real address,
    steven |at| mindless |dot| com

    Steven, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Steven

    Good Man Guest

    im not sure if this will help, but right before you save the final picture
    in PhotoStitch, there's an option to 'adjust image', and there you can
    choose to output it as 'wide' instead of normal....

    Good Man, Jan 5, 2004

  3. The problem is not PhotoStitch, it's Quicktime. Pesky little program, tends
    to have its way with your computer. Later versions seem to be less
    aggressive.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Thanks for those replies,

    I'm using QT 6.4

    Other QT panoramas which I've seen on some websites open up in a correct
    sized QT window, eg http://www.parispourvous.net/ has a nice series of them.

    But mine always open in that darned 400x300 window, even if I've used the
    Canon command to resize them down to 100 pixels high. (Thanks for the tip
    Good Man)

    Is there some other command I'm missing somewhere?

    Steven

    Steven, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Steven

    eg Guest

    Steven, You need Quicktime Pro to resize the player window, Canon does
    not give you the output size option at Save time. Export from QT Pro as
    QT movie and go into options>size

    Pesky? It appears that photostitch defaults to 400x300 no matter what
    quality setting you choose. Photostitch does not give you the option of
    size, not QT

    eg

    eg, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Thanks eg,

    I appreciate the help.

    I have QT pro, so I tried this. Sure enough my player window now opens up to
    the size nominated. Trouble is, this seems to convert the VR panorama to a
    short movie. The + and - buttons no longer appear on the controller and the
    mouse no longer lets me pan.

    I explored the other options within export and found "export to QuickTime
    VR". With this export option I no longer have "options>size" available to
    me. But if I resize the player window before exporting, the new file DOES
    open in a smaller (or larger) window. It doesn't "stick" though, if you go
    to "movie>normal size" the player window reverts to 400x300.

    Am I still missing something?

    Steven

    Steven, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Steven

    eg Guest

    I do not think so Steven. I was a bit premature in suggesting the
    export but if you resize and save self contained the player window can
    be made smaller or larger albeit with the normal size remaining 400x300.
    It will take a special program to resize the qtvr for sure. One work
    around would be to save the panorama in photostitch as a jpeg or tif
    file and then run it through QTVRMakeCubic which is free at Apple.com.
    This gives you the option to select any size you want for the player.
    It's abit more complicated that way though but it works. What are you
    going to use these for? If for the web then this may be a better way
    anyway.

    eg

    eg, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Steven

    Leigh Hanlon Guest

    Here's a question re PhotoStitch. On Mac OS X, the Preferences menu item
    always is grayed out and never accessible. Is this just my installation or
    are Preferences a no-show in everyone's copy?

    Leigh Hanlon
    Chicago, USA

    Leigh Hanlon, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Steven

    eg Guest

    Preferences is grayed out on mine also, 10.2.8.
    eg

    eg, Jan 14, 2004