Canon PhotoRecord: Where, Please ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert11, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Robert11

Robert11 Guest

Hello:

Honest, I've looked all over google and yahoo, but
    just can't come up with it.

Would like to download a copy of Canon PhotoRecord (I think vers. 2.0 is the
    latest ?),
    but can' find the link to do it.

Found plenty of links for free artpacks for, updaters, etc., but nothing for
    the
    actual program.

Anyone have a link for ?
    (I think it's free, but am not sure ?)

Has it perhaps been replaced by a newer Canon program that does the same
    thing, and
    has a different name ?

Thanks,
    Bob

Robert11, Jun 9, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Robert11

Jim Townsend Guest

None of the Canon supplied software is free.. You'll have to
    see if you can get a replacement CD at a Canon dealer.

Jim Townsend, Jun 9, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Robert11

Birk Binnard Guest

The only way to get this software from Canon is to either buy a Canon
    product that includes it on the CD or order the Solutions CD from
    1-800-OKCANON. The CD costs about $25 shipped to the US.

Birk Binnard, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Robert11

Steve Guest

The upgrade is free for Canon customers who already have a previously
    installed version.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/photorecord.html

Steve

Steve, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Robert11

pergamon

pergamon, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Robert11

hardwired1

How to get PhotoRecord

Canon does not make PhotoRecord or the ZoomBrowser EX software available for public download. Go figure. That said, the versions of update programs that are available off the Canon web-sites are full versions of the latest software that each check for the presence of Windows registry keys in order to let the upgrade proceed.

So, to install PhotoRecord:

1) Go to the Canon Japan web-site here:
    http://www.canon-sales.co.jp/drv-upd/bj/photorecord-1x.html

At the very bottom of the page you will see two download options for an FTP or HTTP version of the PhotoRecord update program for v2.0. Click on the FTP link and you should shortly be able to download the PhotoRecord 2.x update installer (its around 40MB in size). Save this file to a location such as c:\temp but don't run it just yet.

2) Run the windows registry editor by going to Start -> Run and enter "regedt32". Be very careful in this tool as you can f**k up your windows installation if you make mistakes. Expand the tree on the left that reads "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". Under that folder you should see a folder called "SOFTWARE". Select this folder, right-click and select "New" from the pop-up menu and then select "Key". Enter the word, "CISRA" (leave all other settings as default) and click ok. You should now see a sub-folder under the Software folder called "CISRA". Select that new folder, right-click, select new then select key and enter the word, "PhotoRecord" and click ok. Repeat once again, this time selecting the new "PhotoRecord" and create a sub-folder called "Installation" under it using the new --> key options as you did before. Your registry settings should now look like this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> CISRA --> PhotoRecord --> Installation.

3) Repeat step 2, except this time, create the folder entries: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Canon --> PhotoRecord

4) Run the Photorecord update installer that you downloaded in step 1. The installer will do a simple check against the system registry, find the keys that you manually set up above and assume that you have the original version of the software install and proceed to install the new Photorecord version. FYI, the same process works for ZoomBrowser EX too, except that its update program looks for the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Canon --> ZoomBrowser EX

Enjoy!

hardwired1, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Robert11

mrgenie

easier method

I've handled the previous post to make life easier for you guys.

Just download the attachment, remove the .txt, and double click this file. It'll ask you to add these keys to the registry, just answer yeah yeah and you're all set to install the software

Attached Files:

mrgenie, May 10, 2008
  8. Robert11

jschultz0614

jschultz0614, Jun 30, 2008
  9. Robert11

emptyb

The text file that MRGENIE does not work for me. I deleted the ".txt", double-clicked the renamed file, was asked if I wanted to Run it, I clicked "Run" and it simply opened up in Notepad.

emptyb, Jul 27, 2008
  10. Robert11

CrazyHorse

Danke Herr Schultz !

CrazyHorse, Nov 8, 2008
  11. Robert11

fuzzy8

That works for me, thanks so very much!!!!!!

fuzzy8, Feb 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question