    chargers, one dual Canon charger with BP-511As on board, at least two
    Quantum Turbo batteries and attendant chargers, and 2 NiMH chargers with 4
    AAs each. And we wonder why our electric bill is so high...

    Skip M, Jun 28, 2005

  2. It's unlikely to be the battery chargers. Really.

    For example, suppose you're charging 4 NiMH AAs. Suppose they are
    completely discharged, and their capacity is 2500 mAh. The total amount
    of energy in the charged cells is 4*2.5*1.2 = 12 watt-hours. Now
    suppose that the charging process is only 50% efficient - this includes
    electrical losses in the wall wart and charger circuits, and electrical-
    chemical losses in the cell itself. Thus, one full charge cycle for
    these cells will draw 12*2 = 24 Wh from your house electrical system.

    Now, suppose the amount you pay for extra electrical consumption is 10
    cents per kilowatt-hour. $0.10 per kWh is 1 cent per 100 Wh, so the 24
    Wh calculated above costs 1/4 cent.

    The BP-511A's have a capacity of about 8-11 Wh (depending on mAh rating)
    so they cost the same or less to charge. I found a web page somewhere
    quoting the Quantum Turbo energy as 20 Wh, so it's about double the set
    of 4 AAs.

    Suppose that each phone battery pack has about the same energy as the
    4 AAs. I estimate a total battery energy of about 100 Wh in your list
    above. Again assuming 50% charging efficiency and 10 cents/kWh, the
    total cost in electricity from charging all of these batteries is about
    2 cents.

    Another way of looking at it: you can charge all these batteries once for
    about the same cost as running one average PC for an hour or so.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Skip M Guest

    Thanks for the explanation, but I was only kidding! ;-) The main threat is
    from tripping over the plethora of cords running this way and that.

    Skip M, Jun 29, 2005