    1GB and CF cards (including microdrives) are available for cheap upto
    5-6GB and growing.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Jun 22, 2005

  2. While you're right about capacity, I suspect that the SD system has
    greater overall reliability because the connector has fewer pins, each of
    which is far bigger, and possibly requires less insertion force per pin.

    Might be cheaper as well, and that market segment is getting crowded and
    competitive!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 22, 2005

  3. "David J Taylor"
    Yup, I think you are right. Knock on wood I've never had a pin problem but
    when you look inside your camera and see all those pins just waiting to get
    bent it sends shivers up my spine.

    Dave R knows who, Jun 22, 2005
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    SleeperMan Guest

    you guys forgot that SD cards is half smaller than CF...

    SleeperMan, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    Bill Funk Guest

    It's probably just me, but I have CF cards, a Digital Rebel/300D,
    several card readers, and I'm trying to figure out how a CF card can
    be inserted in such a way to bend any pins.
    I'm aware that foreign (or domestic) debris can certainly do this, but
    that's a fairly preventable thing.
    And the SD card has pins, too, just waiting to be bent.

    Bill Funk, Jun 22, 2005
  6. Siddhartha Jain

    ASAAR Guest

    I don't know about prices, but Sandisk has been advertising 2GB SD
    cards for a couple of months, and 8GB CF cards are available from a
    number of sources. Even the tiny xD cards are now available up to
    1GB in size, with some manufacturers predicting that xD cards will
    eventually reach 8GB capacity.

    ASAAR, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Siddhartha Jain

    Paul Rubin Guest

    2GB SD cards are advertised but seem hard to actually find, while
    zipzoomfly.com does claim to have 8GB CF cards in stock.

    CF seems to be going out of style in amateur cameras, though. SD is
    smaller and less likely to bend up pins inside the camera if inserted
    incorrectly. That's apparently a common cause of warranty repairs in
    CF cameras.

    Flash memory prices had a long and steep decline a year or so ago but
    have been stagnant since then.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 22, 2005
  8. Siddhartha Jain

    CCN Guest

    Why would they move from SD to CF? Particularly when SD is stagnant
    I've long ago "standardized" on CF media over SD media.
    I don't know if that's like standardizing on vinyl records or if it's
    like standardizing on DVD disks.

    What I don't understand is why all the incompatible flash-card formats?
    Do the differences actually benefit us (the consumer)?

    Sure, some are smaller, some are wider, some are thinner, some are
    fatter, some are bigger, some are cheaper, some are more reliable, but
    why isn't it that we all get together into a big union buying mass and
    say NO to the incompatible cards out there and only say yes to 1 or at
    most 2 different incompatible formats? We did that, for example, with
    the first betamax videotapes and laserdisks and newtons and cosmac 1402
    and trashdos computers and ... we even did it (with the help of the
    government) with 120v 60hz power, railroads of a certain pitch,
    standard-size pipe fittings, standardization on traffic signs and
    streetlight colors (red does mean stop in all 50 states you know) ...

    Why not standardize on a single (two at most) damn media formats for
    flash cards? Wouldn't WE benefit from this competitive standardization?

    CCN, Jun 23, 2005
  9. Siddhartha Jain

    Paul J Gans Guest

    And SD cards are smaller. So they naturally are often the
    choice for the smallest P&S cameras.
    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jun 23, 2005
  10. Siddhartha Jain

    Jerome Bigge Guest

    This is a problem I understand with the "customer inserts
    card into machine" type of "do it yourself" print systems.
    CF cards require that all those little pins get where they
    are supposed to get and all make contact as they should.
    If not, there are problems. Encountered this at the local
    Sam's Club where they make 4x6" prints for 17 cents each.
    Apparently this is a problem with Compact Flash that doesn't
    exist with the other forms of media such as SD and Memory Stick.
    Local prices on SD media and CF media in 128 meg sizes is now
    the same, ($19.99), and I believe capacities are already up to the
    one gig level if not more in SD.
    Jerome Bigge
    Member, Muskegon Astronomical Society
    Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome Bigge, Jun 23, 2005
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Bill Funk Guest

    Ok.
    Which one? :)

    Bill Funk, Jun 23, 2005
  12. Oooooh. Wait! Let me take a stab at this!

    1. Compact Flash
    and
    2. AA batteries!

    :)

    PS: Before I get called a "troll" (whatever that is), it's a joke. :)

    Susan (Graphic Artist), Jun 23, 2005
  13. Bill Funk wrote:
    []
    No, the CF card has multiple small sockets, and the device you insert it
    into has the pins. With the SD card, there are no "pins" as such on
    either the card or the decide it's used in. They are leaf type wiping
    contacts. Having used both SD and CF cards, my feeling is that the
    insertion action is much gentler on the SD cards. The number of contacts
    is far less as well.

    Having said all that, providing you take reasonable care, both types
    should last.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 23, 2005
  14. The batteries aren't a joke. It /is/ about time someone (in the US, I
    guess) campaigned for a standard Li-ion battery for cameras, just like we
    have the AA and AAA cells today.

    As for cards, SD and CF are enough standard for me!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 23, 2005
  15. Siddhartha Jain

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Excuse me? The SD card has contact pads, which are engaged by spring
    pads. NO pins.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 23, 2005
  16. Siddhartha Jain

    Ron Hunter Guest

    We have, in effect. While there are other formats, such as xD, and MS,
    the CF and SD formats have a much larger market than the others. Buyers
    will eventually vote with their wallets, and many of the current formats
    will become as much a part of history as the 'Smartmedia'.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 23, 2005
  17. Siddhartha Jain

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Say what? In May last year, 256 meg SD cards were $65 at Sam's Club.
    Now one can get a 512 meg SD card for about $30. Stagnant? Not in my
    (pocket) book.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 23, 2005
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SD cards are not without their problems. It took me about 10 tries to
    get my SD card to work with Sam's reader. I think some of the readers
    are just a bit on the flakey side.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 23, 2005
  19. But the Canon S2 IS is bigger than the Canon S1 IS, has a larger
    battery and has more megapixels. So its not like the by putting in a SD
    card they managed to reduce the size of this P&S camera.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Jun 23, 2005
  20. Siddhartha Jain

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:32:03 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:
    The battery sizes have been the same for over sixty years, it is just the
    names that have been altered.
    U2 is now D for example.
    I remember being sent to our local shops to try and get some different
    sizes for the torches in 1940 (think blackout).

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 23, 2005