Canon Logic or my Ignorance?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DHB, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. DHB

    DHB Guest

    Just downloaded the sample pictures from Canon's official USA
    web site for their 3 new P&S cameras (A710 IS, A630 & A640) & noticed
    something new & a bit disturbing to me.

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

    Note: I own several Canon digital cameras including their
    A95, A610, 300D & 30D & overall am quite pleased with them.

    The disturbing find came when I looked @ the EXIF picture data
    & noticed that it clearly states:

    "Software Adobe Photoshop CS Macintosh"

    Aren't these supposed to be 100% unedited pictures directly
    from the cameras?

    Also the size of the pictures (file sizes) do not seem to be
    nearly large enough for the full sensor size of each camera unless
    Canon has considerably increased the minimum in-camera JPEG
    compression ratio, which seems unlikely & unwise to me.

    So did Canon reduce the file size using Adobe Photoshop CS
    software on a Macintosh just to expedite download time by reducing the
    file size via added compression (recompression)?

    Even if this is the only thing they changed with the software,
    how do we no use the results to compare it to other models that the
    software was not used on?

    It's just a thought, but if anybody can explain this to me, I
    would greatly appreciate it. Maybe I missed something obvious, it
    happens.

    Thanks in advance for any constructive input & or opinions.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Sep 1, 2006

  2. DHB

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Good catch :)