    Epson were about equal. I should be obliged for your comments, in
    particular if you have experienced both printers.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Oct 24, 2003

  2. nobody nowhere

    Stuart Guest

    I too have been making up my mind about a Canon i9100. I have had Epsons in
    the past and I know all about the ink clogging problems. All the reports and
    forums I've read really praise the i9100. It certainly comes out better than
    the Epson 1290 in the direct comparisons I've read. I was looking also at
    the Epson 2100 (2200 in USA) which is an ink pigment printer with truly
    archival properties but is very problematic on glossy paper but excellent
    for B/W art prints on matt paper.
    One possible downside with the i9100 is the supposed lack of archival
    quality = fading. Canon say its prints are good for 25 years using their
    inks and best media and under uv glass - i.e. optimal conditions. But I
    think this issue may be overcome with the use of archival inks ( e.g Lyson
    inks and media www.lyson.com )

    In my photo group we have member with these printers so I have had first
    hand advice also.

    Anyway I am going for the i9100 - and is cheaper and faster than the Epson
    2100 !

    Stuart, Oct 24, 2003

  3. nobody nowhere

    Rafe B. Guest

    The conventional wisdom still holds for the most part.

    I've worked with Epsons for years though currently I am
    using a Canon S9000 for most of my printing.

    The Canon is excellent, but not without some faults.

    In particular, it does exhibit a very slight vertical micro-
    banding which is affected by the alignment procedure
    but alas never quite eliminated. On the Epsons, I can
    honestly say -- when they were working, there was no
    visible banding whatsoever.

    Canon Pros:
    * very fast
    * replaceable print head
    * less prone to clogging

    Epson Pros
    * no microbanding
    * more sophisticated (less dumbed-down) driver
    * pigment inks

    Printers from either brand will need to be
    coddled on occasion to get the best possible
    print quality.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Oct 24, 2003
  4. nobody nowhere

    Stuart Guest

    While I have seen the microbanding problem on the S9000 widely reported by
    S9000 owners I have not seen any i9100 owners mention the same problem - so
    I there have assumed that the problem has been eliminated on the i9100.

    Stuart, Oct 24, 2003
  5. When you get it, please don't forget to post your impressions in this
    NG. Our friend Rafe mentioned some vertical micro-banding with the
    Canon, presumably, this is a problem with the i9100 as well, or perhaps
    not. I am waiting for your comments, once you get the printer.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Oct 24, 2003
  6. nobody nowhere

    bmoag Guest

    The only way to judge for yourself about image quality is to inspect sample
    prints close-up. In my opinion Epson still has the best continuous tone of
    inkjet photoprinters. From a distance the ink spatter pattern is not really
    visible. However all is in the eye of the beholder. The only head clogging
    problems I ever had with my 1280 was when I tried a non-Epson cartridge:
    never again. I printed about 12 8x10s yesterday: I cannot fault the printer
    in any way although it ruthlessly reveals any issues with color management
    in your work flow.

    bmoag, Oct 24, 2003
  7. nobody nowhere

    The Dude Guest

    I've had my i9100 for 2 weeks, now. No clogs. No microbanding (even under
    close scrutiny). And, so far, no fading :)))

    The Dude, Oct 24, 2003
  8. nobody nowhere

    MikeWhy Guest

    Why not?
    The inks all run dry at about the same time on my 1280. The driver might be
    lying or mistaken; or the printer's ink measuring device might be
    inaccurate. I expect that it's at least approximately correct (how hard can
    it be to count 4 pico-liters at a time?). Photos average out to some shade
    of gray. YMMV if you print mostly highly saturated pie charts.
    That alone might be a good enough reason, but I've adapted to the print time
    on the Epson. I print a few in the evening, so it doesn't matter very much.
    I used to impatiently watch the print head slide over the narrow slot as it
    paints its snail pace across the page. Now, I just go about my other
    business. I already know what the one being printed looks like; I previewed
    every pixel before I sent it to the printer.
    We figured that out for ourselves. I would buy one of each every promising
    printer if someone paid me to do it...
    A faster printer will only use more paper in partial compensation. Your
    $100/mo. belongs to the borg.
    They're both excellent. I would rather spend the money on the IS f2.8 tele
    zoom.

    MikeWhy, Oct 25, 2003
  9. nobody nowhere

    Birk Binnard Guest

    I've used the Epson 1280 for almost 2 years and love it. I added a
    continuous ink flow system because I grew weary of buying Epson's expensive
    ink cartridges and then of refilling them. In my opinion the continuous ink
    system makes the printer usable. I did have to replace the printhead
    once...so far...but the money and time I've saved with the continuous flow
    system more than made up for that.

    Note that I do a fair number of large panorama prints: 12" x 36" on roll
    paper. The continuous ink system eliminates the need of having to change a
    cartridge in the middle of a big print.

    The Epson ink level monitor actually shows only 2 ink levels....black and
    the lowest color level. All other colors are shown to match the lowest
    level one. So when a color cartridge shows empty it is likely that only one
    of the 5 chambers is actually empty. You can use a syringe to suck the ink
    out of the still full ones and re-use it later.

    Birk Binnard, Oct 25, 2003
  10. It seems that the canon i9100 does not come with a paper roller. How can
    one get a maximum printable area of 13" x 44", as in the printer's
    specifications (B & H website)? Is the roller an optional accessory?
    Thanks in advance for your answer.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Oct 25, 2003
  11. I have the 1290. Where is the "ink level monitor" you refer to? thanks
    in advance for your reply.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Oct 25, 2003
  12. nobody nowhere

    MikeWhy Guest

    The driver display is the only one I know of.

    MikeWhy, Oct 25, 2003