Canon i9100 Versus Epson 1280??????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dr. Slick, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    Hi,

    I've seen read plenty of reviews and posts on both of these guys.

    Pro Canon i9100: 1. Faster than the Epson.
    2. Individual inks, less wasted.
    3. Doesn't clog as often as the Epson.

    Pro Epson 1280: 1. About $100 cheaper.
    2. Better image quality: ("Clumping" ink dots, or some
    sort of alignment issue with the Canon?)

    I'm want to do at least 11" x 17" prints of my artwork, so these models
    look like what i need.

    Anything else you folks can add?

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Dr. Slick

    bmoag Guest

    There are technical problems with every printer brand. Look at samples from
    the printers and decide for yourself which you prefer. IMHOP there is a good
    reason why Epson prints are the standard for judgement because they have the
    most photolike continuous tone when viewed close-up. However when viewed at
    normal distances most of those differences disappear,

    bmoag, Nov 15, 2003

  3. You may also put the Epson 2200 (pigment based ink) into the ring.
    Although I personally prefer the LOOK of the 1280's dye based ink prints,
    pigment based inks are more archival.
    If you plan on marketing your pictures, the use of archival inks may be a real
    selling point.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Dr. Slick

    BuGzY Guest

    I have used the 1280 for over a year and am extremely happy with all aspects
    of the hardware and tech support. It networks well and the 40 inch long
    panoramas and 11x17 inch prints are breathtaking. I only had to clean the
    heads one time due to streaking becuase I hadnt used it for over a month and
    the software did the job perfectly. I cant say anyhting bad about the canon,
    it would have been my next choice but I can say stay away from the hp that
    does the large prints (I forget the model I tried but it cost $500.00, I
    brought it back). prints are lousy and the tech support cant speak english.
    BuGzY

    BuGzY, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Dr. Slick

    BuGzY Guest

    Forgot to mention the noise factor. After having the HP clanking back and
    forth and shaking the desk with loud bangs The epson just amazed me with how
    quiet and virtually vibration free it is. That, you can compare right in the
    store before purchase.
    BuGz

    BuGzY, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Dr. Slick

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: (Dr. Slick)
    I have the Epson 1280 and 2200.
    Note the individual inks will cost more than the 5 color ink carts. For my
    2200 I pay $10 each and have 7 so it's $70 to replace them all. With the 1280
    it's about $25 for the color cart (all 5 colors) and a black cart will last
    thru 4-5 color carts, so figure it's another $5 per color cart. If you print a
    lot of things with a single color, like banners, you save big but for general
    photo printing you have to print a long time to see a cost savings on ink with
    the more expensive single tanks, I feel.

    As for the 1280 clogging, the ways to avoid it are well-known -- don't use 3rd
    party inks and turn off the printer with the on/off switch so the heads get
    parked correctly (rather than from a power strip). I've never had a serious
    clog with my 1280, but it's fairly common to have one or two nozzles not
    firing, fixed with one clean cycle. This seems to have been fixed with the
    2200 as I always run nozzle check before printing and have only seen one or two
    cases of even a single nozzle not firing (ie, in a year I've seen as many
    mis-fires as I see in a week with the 1280).
    I think it's about $150 cheaper, $350 vs $500?

    As for the "better image quality", from what I've seen the Canons since the
    S9000 were pretty much equal to the 1280 on image quality and print longevity.

    One other thing worth mentioning is the 1280 has better built-in ICM support
    for a color managed print workflow, which is very nice if you have Photoshop.
    Canon seems to be lagging in providing ICC profiles.
    Look carefully at the Epson 2200, especially if you're selling prints. I'd
    pick it over either the 1280 or the Canons.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Now you tell me!! :) I have never switched off the Epson 1290, could
    that be the explanation for repeated clogging? Now that I got myself a
    Canon i9100, should I switch the power off when not in use? Thanks in
    advance for any comments.

    PS. let us know if you get the eye 1.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Nov 15, 2003
  8. I have mine set to switch off automatically and have not experienced any
    clogs. I don't know what would happen if it stayed on. However, what
    is the reason to leave it on when it can shut itself offf?

    Robert Peirce, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Dr. Slick

    Mark Herring Guest

    I added a few things below:

    (in practice, all the colors seem to run out at the same time)
    3. More 3rd party stuff, including coninuous feed,
    refill kits, archival ink, etc.
    4. Has a roll paper holder
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Nov 15, 2003
  10. If the green light is on, does it mean that the printer is switched off,
    but only on "stand by"? Is there a difference between the two? Bill
    recommends switching off from the power switch, which to me suggests
    that the green light should be off as well. Am I right? How do you get
    a 1280/90 to switch off automatically (presumably after a certain period
    of non-use)?

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Nov 15, 2003
  11. Dr. Slick

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: nobody nowhere
    If the green light is on the printer (1280) is powered up.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 15, 2003
  12. I guess I wasn't clear. I have an i9100. It can be set to power down
    after a specified period. It poweers up when you send something to it.
    I guess there is something running all the time for this to happen, but
    visually it is off.

    Robert Peirce, Nov 15, 2003
  13. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    When you say refill kits, do you mean just that: you are able to re-fill
    an almost empty ink cartridge without having to buy another one?

    Like what HP sued that one company for?

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 15, 2003
  14. Dr. Slick

    Mark Herring Guest

    Yes--I now have syringes, ink bottles, and a device to reset the Epson
    ship---all for the price of 1.5 sets of cartridges----the ink is
    enough for maybe 6 refills
    Sued them for what---selling ink?
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Nov 16, 2003
  15. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    Well, if you can just refill the cartridge, then you don't
    have to buy a new one everytime from HP, right?

    So this company was selling a refill kit, and HP sued them
    to stop it, because so much of their profits were from the inks.

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 16, 2003
  16. Dr. Slick

    Mark Herring Guest

    Welllllll....Several people are very active selling refill kits for
    Epson.
    What was the outcome of the HP suit?
    **************************

    Mark Herring, Nov 17, 2003
  17. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    HP won. The company had to stop.

    Not very environmentally friendly on the part of HP, is it.

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 17, 2003
  18. Dr. Slick

    andrew29 Guest

    Yeah. Whatever printer you get, make sure you can get ICC colour
    profiles for the combination of paper and ink you'll be using.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Nov 18, 2003
  19. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    Some people have had problems with glossy paper using the 2200...

    Something about archival inks sitting on top of the gloss surface.

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 18, 2003
  20. Dr. Slick

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    I sure haven't seen that. I use glossy with the 2200 daily.

    Tom Thackrey, Nov 18, 2003