Canon i560 Ink Level Indicator

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeff, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have three Canon i560's. They don't get a whole lot of use, but I
    finally had to change ink on one of them. The ink status monitor showed
    the black, cyan, and magenta all low with an exclamation mark. The
    yellow was completely full. When I pulled the black, cyan, and magenta
    tanks to replace them, they were indeed empty.

    I pulled the yellow tank to see how much ink it had, in case I needed to
    also get a yellow tank. The yellow tank was about 80 empty; I thought
    this was odd, because the ink monitor showed the yellow tank full up.

    I looked my other Canon i560's (which get even less use), and all their
    tanks showed full up on the ink monitor. I didn't pull any to have a
    look see.

    Does the Canon i560 ink monitor always show full up, even if the tank is
    not full, and only show empty when the tank IS empty or near empty?

    That is, does the ink monitor only show full or empty, and nothing in
    between?

    TIA
    Jeff

    Jeff, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Matt Ion Guest

    Yes.

    From what I've read, there's a small optical sensor below the ink
    reservoir in each tank. As long as there's ink there, blocking the
    sensor, it reads "full". As soon as the ink drops enough to expose the
    sensor (essentially when the reservoir is empty), the system then
    registers that tank as empty. At that point, however, you should still
    have several prints available from the ink stored in the sponge section
    of the tank.

    Matt Ion, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Jeff

    wolfb Guest

    I have a couple of i560's myself and yes the indicator only shows empty if
    the main chamber is empty (no indication otherwise). When you get an empty
    indicator there are still a few photos you can print out before the cart is
    completely dry, but always change (or refill) when you get the empty
    signal. That will keep your print head well lubed. BTW I bought my last
    i560 at a Best Buy closeout for $56. Came with a full set of OEM carts.
    It's like paying $6 for the engine. Not a bad price! I've always said in
    the future they will give you the printer, you buy the ink.
    Wolf-==-

    wolfb, Sep 1, 2004
  4. On my Canon i950, when the ink level drops and exposes the little
    prism, it will show empty, as others have also reported. When an
    empty cartridge is replaced or refilled, it shows full. As far as I
    can determine, there must be some sort of estimation going on within
    the printer to show declining levels from the full point. They are
    not always correct, except when it does go completely empty. But at
    least you get some idea that the ink is being consumed between these
    limits.

    Same comments as above.

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 7, 2004