  1. triffid

    measekite Guest

    HAPPY FADING

    measekite, Feb 24, 2006

  2. triffid

    Margolotta Guest

    Indeed. The best printer I have *EVER* owned was an EPSON Stylus Colour 900.
    Worked like a Trojan from the day I bought it until it gave up the ghost.
    Massive tanks - a metric ream could easily be printed (at around 80%
    coverage) from the black tank - I used to print simple newsletters (mainly
    black text and spot colour) and I could just leave it churning them out - it
    never clogged or jammed. Eventually the PCB died (well, something on the PCB
    died) and the cheapest quote I had for a fix was £400 (ex. labour) so, sadly,
    I had to resign it to the dump. :eek:(

    Because the aftermarket tanks were so cheap, I used to make a reasonable
    profit on it. I could pick up black tanks for £2 and colour for £3. I
    reckoned that printing cost, roughly, a penny a page and I charged £15 per
    50. As there was nowhere else in the area, I made quite a bit to supplement
    my studies.

    Couldn't do that now... :eek:(

    Margolotta, Feb 24, 2006

  3. triffid

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Your Caps Lock is stuck.

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 24, 2006
  4. triffid

    zakezuke Guest

    Because the aftermarket tanks were so cheap, I used to make a reasonable
    You probally could if you hunted around a bit. I buy aftermarket bulk
    ink for about USD$5.00 per 60ml. The Stylus 900 IIRC took a 35ml black
    tank. Large, but not super super large. And for such an application
    HP does have a business class printer, and Canon does seem to be
    getting into the game as well. I just recently saw an HP 2000C in the
    local thrift store for $10.00 still working. New the 2300 is usd $500
    to $900. Those tanks at least double in size... about 70ml black /
    30ml each color IIRC. I know for a fact I can get those prefilled with
    aftermarket ink for 10 quid each, perhaps less if I shop around. OEM
    is closer to 20 quid.

    And if you want Epson, plenty of CIS systems to feed directly off bulk
    ink.

    zakezuke, Feb 24, 2006
  5. triffid

    triffid Guest

    No, the new printer I have is not signficantly better than the i455.
    The i455 actually performed a lot better than I'd expected (or needed)
    it to.

    And as for the printheads, I arranged refunds in both cases. I
    certainly don't intend giving almost £40 to Canon for a faulty
    printhead.

    - Triffid

    triffid, Feb 24, 2006
  6. triffid

    triffid Guest

    In my response to your original message, I should have emphasised that
    you pretty much missed the point of what I originally said. Namely,
    it's a fact of the screwed up way that the inkjet market works (I don't
    call it a fact of life for the reasons that Mitch described); and it's
    precisely this that annoys me.

    Assuming that the example given above is genuine (and being Lexmark, I
    can almost believe it), it's a prime example of everything wrong with
    the printer industry. That was my point.

    I'm not denying that if you accept this, then it's cheaper to buy a new
    Lexmark than to replace a Lexmark head. I'm saying that the fact that
    this is the case is ludicrous.

    - Triffid

    triffid, Feb 24, 2006
  7. triffid

    triffid Guest

    No, the original discussion was regarding a £37 replacement print head
    versus a £73 printer which, whilst it had some desirable new features
    wasn't *that* much better, and also had some drawbacks regarding ink
    replacement.

    Please stop making this "printhead cost more than the printer"
    comparison, as it doesn't apply here.

    - Triffid

    triffid, Feb 24, 2006
  8. triffid

    triffid Guest

    I plan on looking into the EU recycling laws at any rate. (^_^)

    - Triffid

    triffid, Feb 24, 2006
  9. triffid

    Mitch Guest

    Economic obsolesence refers to the idea that some products are not
    worth making or selling.

    What you were saying was the opposite -- that the device was obsolete
    to the user. In order for it to be obsolete to the user, it would have
    to be not reasonably capable of doing the same kind of printing tasks.

    In this discussion, that difference is pretty important -- because you
    are advocating the advantages of newer hardware, it's critical to
    understanding the value of the current hardware.
    It has clearly NOT become worthless or useless just because there is
    something of better quality available.

    Then you can bring in the cost issue -- cost of consumables versus cost
    or replacement device.

    Mitch, Feb 24, 2006
  10. triffid

    SleeperMan Guest

    Then you made a bad purchase
    uhhh...lucky you are...

    SleeperMan, Feb 24, 2006
  11. triffid

    SleeperMan Guest

    i agree with this point. It's also not on me either to accept or not - it's
    just i (or we) must accept, since we have no other choice. Sure, system is
    corrupted, but we can do a shit about it.
    And that of Lexmark is true...i even bought two models---one was (damn, i
    don't remember models anymore) e23 or similar, it cost (calculated 35USD
    with both full heads included. When i went out of ink, bought model e33
    (which i still don't know the difference between two), came 38 USD again
    with both carts. After that i as tired of changing printers and i got myself
    i550. OK, that one was somewhat more expensive, but separated carts adn
    better quality, so it ws worthed. I refilled, so in a working period of it
    (18 months) i saved so much that i got new ip4000 and still had some money
    left with addendum that ip4000 really rocks regarding photos, which i can't
    say for i550. So, i gained double, i guess.
    The whole fact is that until companies will disregard environment polution
    things will be as they are...tha fact of life isn't what we agree of, but
    what we must accept and live with...at least in my opinion.

    SleeperMan, Feb 24, 2006
  12. triffid

    SleeperMan Guest

    original message was regarding THREE replacement heads and noone mentioned
    getting refund. And that IS more than new printer. So, please read whole
    message and you'll see. It's totally different story if refund was given.

    SleeperMan, Feb 24, 2006
  13. triffid

    SleeperMan Guest

    no point here...he's deaf regarding this. My guess is if he's deaf he
    thinks we all are so he shouts just in case.

    SleeperMan, Feb 24, 2006
  14. triffid

    SleeperMan Guest

    i see you assume this on behaviour of your printers. Well, if you'd use
    aftermarket ink, it won't come to this. None of use ever had fading with
    non-OEM ink, just you with original one.

    SleeperMan, Feb 24, 2006
  15. triffid

    measekite Guest

    CONSUMER REPORTS AND PCWORLD HAS PUBLISHED UNFAVORABLE REPORTS ON
    AFTERMARKET UNBRANDED INK

    measekite, Feb 24, 2006
  16. triffid

    measekite Guest

    NOT SHOUTING. DO NOT HAVE A MICROPHONE

    measekite, Feb 24, 2006
  17. triffid

    measekite Guest

    THAT IS ABOUT AS DUMB AS I HAVE EVER HEARD. GO TAKE AN ECONOMICS CLASS
    HEY REALLY LOW IQ DUM DUM. FOR EXAMPLE THE DESKJET 500 IS TOTALLY WORTHLESS.

    measekite, Feb 24, 2006
  18. triffid

    Frank Guest

    It's his sign of complacent stupidity. His trade mark of just how dumb
    he is.
    He is a total loser.
    Frank

    Frank, Feb 24, 2006
  19. triffid

    SleeperMan Guest

    yeah, i mean really...who else would make a free commerical for any company
    ?

    SleeperMan, Feb 24, 2006
  20. triffid

    Steve Guest

    Oh well, if those paragons of computer knowledge at PCWorld said

    Steve, Feb 24, 2006