    Ken Oaf Guest

    So far Canon seems to have the edge over Nikon as the camera of choice for the
    professionals in Athens.

    Ken Oaf, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Ken Oaf

    Ian Stirling Guest

    And I see that the constellation of flashing idiocy is just as big
    as ever.

    Ian Stirling, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Ken Oaf

    G. Innipig Guest

    LOL, I noticed that. Let's hope they are mostly using digital, otherwise
    there's going to be a hell of a lot of wasted film tonight!

    G. Innipig, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Ken Oaf

    RSD99 Guest

    = "Situation Normal," for "Sports Photography."

    RSD99, Aug 14, 2004
  5. This is old news pal. The Canon had the edge over Nikon on Superbowl and
    Euro 2004 too, and on pretty much any sporting event in last year. People
    shooting sport tend to lean toward Canon because of their fast telephoto
    lenses, and combined with big sensors such as those in 1D mk II and 1Ds,
    it's pretty much the logical choice for any sport shooter if he wants to
    satisfy his editor's "whole front page covered" ideas.

    --
    ------------------------------
    online photo portfolio

    " If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the
    event, what film would you use?"
    - Anonymous

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Ken Oaf

    Crownfield Guest

    how many pro sigma users can you see in athens?

    the preddiot will be interested.

    Crownfield, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Ken Oaf

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: Crownfield
    Hey you made a funny!
    Using "Sigma" and "pro" in the same sentence. LOL!

    Annika1980, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Ken Oaf

    Big Bill Guest

    It's been my observation that, no matter what the occasion (Olympics
    or tractor pull) the flashes in the stands go off.
    I think it's a function of a lot of the cameras being used;
    point'n'shoots with no way to turn the flash off. They'll get home,
    process the film, and wonder why they can'tr see anything but the
    entire stadium, with the subject a small dot in the center...

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Ken Oaf

    Robert Barr Guest

    I think it's even more comical that this visual effect -- the
    'constellation' -- is artificially introduced on some television
    broadcasts of events like professional wrestling. It almost completes
    the circle of flawed logic, supposedly enhancing the appearance of the
    excitement of the crowd.

    Robert Barr, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Ken Oaf

    Big Bill Guest

    Um, well, I'll take your word for that.
    I don't watch pro wrestling. :)

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Ken Oaf

    George Guest

    If I were professionally photographing the Olympics in Athens, I'd use
    whatever pro-level
    camera had the best support in Greece. Maybe that is Canon? Other than
    that, what is the
    point of this posting? I always buy what I LIKE, not what EVERYONE else
    has. Your
    logic would make one think that a Chevy MUST be far superior to a Ferrari
    because you
    see so many more of them.

    George, Aug 14, 2004
  12. Ken Oaf

    Skip M Guest

    Why, are we keeping score?

    Skip M, Aug 14, 2004
  13. Ken Oaf

    G. Innipig Guest

    I can give you an exact figure for the number of Sigmas I have seen in
    professional colleagues' hands, regardless of the place or type of shooting:
    it is zero. It is likely to remain at zero.

    G. Innipig, Aug 14, 2004
  14. Ken Oaf

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    The Sigma users are the ones that were using flashes
    waaaay high up in the stands... using their flashes
    to light up the "fire" on the stage...

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Aug 14, 2004
  15. Ken Oaf

    dylan Guest

    If you see a "Pro" Sigma in Athens user it probably is Preddy, but he maybe
    using a pseudonym, try Pedro or Orville :)

    dylan, Aug 14, 2004
  16. Oh, so not true. He's talking about professionals, not everyday amateur
    photographers. His logic makes a lot of sense, because those guys shoot for
    big news agencies and get only the best gear there is. So, if we see that
    two thirds of pro shooters in Athens have Canon in their hands, than that
    does have a significant meaning.

    --
    ------------------------------

    Drazen Stojcic / BUNTOVNIK, Aug 14, 2004
  17. Ken Oaf

    Crownfield Guest

    and thus you win "The Laugh of the Day Award"

    Crownfield, Aug 15, 2004
  18. Ken Oaf

    Prometheus Guest

    With major event like the Olympics it is not unusual for the main
    manufactures to set-up a support workshop locally specifically for the
    event. Pros are hardly likely to by different makes for different
    countries, and any pro told "sorry it has to go away and will be a few
    weeks" at a major event might transfer their allegiance. Of course any
    pro at a major event will duplicate and hire where practical in order to
    keep earning.

    Prometheus, Aug 15, 2004
  19. Ken Oaf

    dylan Guest

    Presumably that's because they have the best flashguns to go with the best
    telephoto lenses and the cameras with most pixels and least noise ;)

    dylan, Aug 15, 2004
  20. None, it is too light for shotputting...

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Aug 15, 2004