    Or is the sensor technology is completely different and more advanced?
    Just curious

    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there actually a physical difference between the G7 and the G9? I
    > thought they look identical.
    > I heard about the additional feature, such as RAW capabilities, faster
    > speeds, etc. I also heard the other day that manufacturers nowadays
    > issue firmware updates. Could a G7 be updated via a firmware update
    > only, so that it become a G9? Could the software or "engine" inside
    > the computer be replaced through downloading with a new software, or
    > algorithms to make the photos to be developed and/or process faster?
    > Or is the sensor technology is completely different and more advanced?
    > Just curious

    No, the sensors are different - 1/1.8" on G7 vs 1/1.7" on G9. The LCD is
    larger on the G9 as well.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 21, 2007

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Is there actually a physical difference between the G7 and the G9? I
    >> thought they look identical.
    >> I heard about the additional feature, such as RAW capabilities, faster
    >> speeds, etc. I also heard the other day that manufacturers nowadays
    >> issue firmware updates. Could a G7 be updated via a firmware update
    >> only, so that it become a G9? Could the software or "engine" inside
    >> the computer be replaced through downloading with a new software, or
    >> algorithms to make the photos to be developed and/or process faster?
    >> Or is the sensor technology is completely different and more advanced?
    >> Just curious
    >>

    > No, the sensors are different - 1/1.8" on G7 vs 1/1.7" on G9. The LCD is
    > larger on the G9 as well.
    >
    > Mark

    True, but looking at http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor+sizes
    kindly supplied in an earlier post this isn't much of a gain, but every
    little helps I suppose. Given a choice I would opt for bigger sensor vs
    more mp. Note how canon chose to offer their s5 is with a noticeably
    smaller sensor than the upper range A series, doesn't make much sense to me.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Mark B. Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > Mark B. wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there actually a physical difference between the G7 and the G9? I
    >>> thought they look identical.
    >>> I heard about the additional feature, such as RAW capabilities, faster
    >>> speeds, etc. I also heard the other day that manufacturers nowadays
    >>> issue firmware updates. Could a G7 be updated via a firmware update
    >>> only, so that it become a G9? Could the software or "engine" inside
    >>> the computer be replaced through downloading with a new software, or
    >>> algorithms to make the photos to be developed and/or process faster?
    >>> Or is the sensor technology is completely different and more advanced?
    >>> Just curious
    >>>

    >> No, the sensors are different - 1/1.8" on G7 vs 1/1.7" on G9. The LCD is
    >> larger on the G9 as well.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > True, but looking at http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor+sizes
    > kindly supplied in an earlier post this isn't much of a gain, but every
    > little helps I suppose. Given a choice I would opt for bigger sensor vs
    > more mp. Note how canon chose to offer their s5 is with a noticeably
    > smaller sensor than the upper range A series, doesn't make much sense to
    > me.
    > Dave Cohen

    The S5 has a 12x zoom range. To do that with a larger sensor would require
    a larger camera, and larger price.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 21, 2007
  5. Bob S Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there actually a physical difference between the G7 and the G9? I
    > thought they look identical.
    > I heard about the additional feature, such as RAW capabilities, faster
    > speeds, etc. I also heard the other day that manufacturers nowadays
    > issue firmware updates. Could a G7 be updated via a firmware update
    > only, so that it become a G9? Could the software or "engine" inside
    > the computer be replaced through downloading with a new software, or
    > algorithms to make the photos to be developed and/or process faster?
    > Or is the sensor technology is completely different and more advanced?
    > Just curious

    If you look at Canon's site you'll see that there are a lot of features
    firmware won't add, like 12.1 MP vs 10, a 3" LCD instead of 2.5". Pure
    hardware changes......

    Bob

    Bob S, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Guest