    many more.

    Take care and have fun.

    m2

    esotericduo, Feb 28, 2004

  2. esotericduo

    Arun Guest

    Hi,

    I am a novice photographer who recently is very interested in
    photography. i have $700 to spare and I am interested in investing it
    in a digital camera. i had a look at all the cameras and decided on
    two of them, Canon G5 and Leica Digilux 1. Canon G5 is a 5 megapixel
    camera with good picture quality whereas Leica digilux seems to be a 4
    mega pixel one. The guy at the shop said the Leica digilux offers
    world class optics that could last a long time and its very good
    compared to the normal stuff. I am very confused as too which one to
    buy, keeping in mind that the camera should not be outdated in 5 years
    time. It would be of great help if someone could help me decide.

    cheers,

    Arun

    Arun, Feb 28, 2004

  3. esotericduo

    rene maark Guest

    Hi,
    Yes, I can recommend you the Canon G5, of course. I have got a Canon G2 and
    I am very, very satisfied with its. On the first place is CCD chip (!) and
    afterwards is the lens.
    Have a fun,
    rene

    rene maark, Feb 28, 2004
  4. esotericduo

    max Guest

    "Arun"
    I don't know the Leica, but I have the G5 and recomend you
    not buy this one, the G3 is supposedly a better camera.
    The G5 suffers from purple fringing in high contrast areas,
    it is very apparent in prints, can be minimized by stopping
    down or using software, still it should'nt be there in the first
    place. I think there are other better alternatives to any of the
    mentioned. ;o)-max-

    max, Feb 28, 2004
  5. esotericduo

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    Have a close look at the specs on both the Digilux 1 and Digilux 2,
    and also the new Panasonic DMC-LC1 which also uses Leica lenses.
    They have great lenses no doubt, and they might give you the fastest
    shooting times, but : some or all of them use manual focus only, the
    absence of automatic focus being the reason for the small shooting
    lag. Also, be prepared to spend a lot more than you would for a G5 or
    G3, which as a whole are more perfected cameras.
    If money isn't a problem and you're OK without auto-focus, you might
    certainly make a nice impression handling the Digilux 2, which has the
    looks and feel of an old "analog" camera. Kind of a jewelry thing, not
    just photography.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2004
  6. esotericduo

    DS Guest

    Canon G5 and Leica Digilux 1

    Leica has auto-focus. Manual focus on Leica is via ring around lens, just
    like film cameras. Perhaps this is what has previous poster confused.
    Manual aperture and shutter controls are Leica "M" like as well.

    Leica is a beautiful piece of equipment, but not far under $2000. at local
    dealer. Lack of a "flip and swivel" LCD on the rear is all that keeps it
    off my short list. That, and the fact that I'm inherently a tightwad.

    DS
    Satisfied with my G2

    DS, Mar 4, 2004
  7. esotericduo

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    You are correct, sorry for the misinformation. I think I was misled by
    some incomplete article at the time of release.

    Looking again, what becomes clear is that both the Panasonic LC1 and
    the Leica Digilux-2 are not only more than three times the price of a
    G5, but also bigger and heavier. If that isn't an issue (it is for
    me), they seem excelent cameras with some unique features while
    lacking a few better functional solutions that are found in other
    cameras.

    Getting back to the original post, the Digilux-1 does appear more
    similar to the G5: similar weight and size, but still almost twice the
    price. And here is a fragment from a review :

    "(...)
    Strengths:
    Largest LCD screen on a camera of its size, lightweight, good amount
    of megapixels for the price, fun to use, tough batteries (I
    accidentally dropped one once while rushing to an event) and the
    battery still worked. (When I shot 35mm, the battery made by another
    company had a tab on it, and the tab broke. Then the battery would not
    work). Luckily, these batteries do not have any tabs. Great macro
    feature available at the flip of a switch. This camera can be focused
    manually, you can adjust the shutter speed and aperature. I'm sure I
    am leaving out something.

    Weaknesses:
    Polarizer filter is half the price of the camera...almost. Camera will
    not fit in Leica case if any attachments are on the camera. Works
    better as a flash carrying case...waste of money if you ask me. Needs
    an external charger. You have to charge the batteries one at a time,
    in the camera. This is horrible, because I have two batteries. The
    monitor hood covers the battery compartment. The zoom is not that
    fast. It's good if you are not in a rush. Some parts are Panasonic. I
    can't figure out if the SF-20 goes above F8, and it needs to be
    upgraded to work like the Canon and Nikon flashes...especially for
    what it costs. I'm sure I am leaving something out. (...) "

    Guest, Mar 4, 2004
  8. The "Leica" is really a Panasonic...

    Photo & Music, Apr 1, 2004
  9. esotericduo

    Tim Boniwell Guest

    Leica Digilux 1 has been superseded by the Digilux 2. (Digilux 1 about half
    the price of the 2 and still available at the moment I think)

    The Digilux 2 is the latest Leica digicam and it is basically a joint
    venture with Panasonic. It does have a superb Leica lens and so far appears
    to be producing some excellent quality images. It is retailing a few hundred
    pounds (GBP) more that the Panasonic version (identical lens and hardware
    [Panasonic different body colour and finish] - slightly different software
    package).

    Check out the Leica website http://www.leica-camera.com/index_e.html and
    have a look at the Customer Forum/Digital for recent comments and links to
    reviews and images available on the web.

    Tim Boniwell

    Tim Boniwell, Apr 1, 2004