    autofocus performance because, subjectively, it appeared to be so
    exceptionally fast and accurate as to challenge the assumption that
    only phase detection AF can focus quickly and accurately.

    Bruce, Feb 18, 2011

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Another question you will not answer directly.

    The peer reviewed evidence for that statement is?

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Another unfounded statement form the ignoramus

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  4. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    For a dimbulb look in a mirror.
    Are you aware that miles driven enters into the ratings formula/
    Are you aware that people over 60 drive significantly less than people
    between 24 and 50.
    Are you aware that insurance rates vary by state and country?

    You are pathetically full of either hatred or a desperate need for
    attention.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    In another thread you stated you only used and old film camera.
    Did you lie then, or are you lying now?

    Yet another question you won't answer.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  6. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Uh, why do Canon and Nikon sell magnifiers for the finders on their
    SLRs, and why have they done so for decades, long before digital cameras
    existed? And why are their magnifiers for the ground glass on large
    format cameras?

    The reason is that sometimes focus is more critical than at other times
    and when it's really critical you want a magnifier. On an EVF camera
    the magnifier is software, the actual cost of adding it is negligible,
    so why _not_ include it?

    J. Clarke, Feb 18, 2011
  7. Per mile driven, drivers over the age of 60 are more prone to accidents than
    any other age group.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Feb 18, 2011
  8. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Very true. Anecdotaly, several years ago one of my neighbors confused my
    living room with a parking garage. fortunately, nobody was hurt. There
    have been a bout five such incidents in my co-op. All involving drivers
    over 70.

    However, insurance ratings are not based upon miles driven. We took my
    mother in law's care when it was "attacked" by a pump in a gas station.
    At the time it was ten years old and IIRC, had under 10,000 original
    miles on it.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I completely agree that magnification is sometimes needed. Please read
    the statement I responded to.

    It says: "Why do they include grid-lines? Because some people need the
    help. But people with normal vision should not need it to focus with
    modern 1.4 meg EVFs."

    Indeed it looks as if you may have intended to respond to that comment.
    But, I haven't had my first cuppa yet.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  10. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I waiting for the day when insurances claim accident don't exist
    and stupidity and bad planning are the causes.

    Whisky-dave, Feb 18, 2011
  11. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Have your cup of coffee, I'm responding to the discussion in general,
    not to your specific post.

    However with regard to grid lines, they are useful in architectural and
    some other forms of photography. They have nothing whatsoever to do
    with focus and are there instead to make it easier to ensure that the
    camera is aligned with the verticals and horizontals of the subject.
    Working with a perspective control lens they are almost essential. Most
    high-end SLRs with interchangeable focusing screens have several with
    different arrangments of grid-lines and it's not because professional
    photographers who shell out thousands of dollars for cameras have poor
    vision.

    Again with an EVF, the grid lines are software, it costs practically
    nothing to implement them, so why not?

    J. Clarke, Feb 18, 2011
  12. Around here the prices are. Less than 7500 and you get a discount.
    It's average over several years, so my rare 5000 mile trips
    out West don't hurt.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Feb 18, 2011
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Where is "here?"
    In NY the only personal mileage base ratings are for historical vehicles.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I didn't think e disagreed.
    I would add that my DSLRs and at least some P&S cameras, have optional
    software grid lines. My personal preference is to use them only for
    landscapes and buildings. At times they can be a distraction. Therefore,
    I keep the option in what I call my easy switch area.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    That seems high for insurance.
    We have two cars, including the 2011 Lexus for about $2,200 per year.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  16. Illinois

    Doug McDonald, Feb 18, 2011
  17. Uh ... that's 7500 MILES, not$.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Feb 18, 2011
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Oh!
    Big difference.

    PeterN, Feb 18, 2011
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    yup. But, I am within easy commuting distance of B&H and Adorama,
    leaving me even less money.

    PeterN, Feb 19, 2011
  20. I remember that happening to you :(

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Feb 21, 2011