    FF? I don't think so. It would fly of the shelves. Something the
    size of a Leica M9 coupled to a Nikon 24mm f1.4 lens with the D3s
    sensor. Just imagine that.

    RichA, Feb 14, 2011

  2. RichA

    Rich Guest

    No. The 1950's (oddly enough, a time when the current SLR shape came
    into being in a big way) autos were plagued by a manufacturing process
    incapable of making sharp corners except at cut and welded edges. I
    HATE rounded cars. That's what the Japanese build. Everything soft-
    looking, identical looking. Give me a mid-1970s Ford or Lincoln with
    their squared-off lines, or a Cadillac CTS-V today. No fins, no
    bumper bullets, no prism housing. As for paint jobs, when was the
    last time you saw any of the zombies who buy cars today without a grey/
    silver car? Pass the Soma...

    Rich, Feb 14, 2011

  3. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : DSLR's, DSLR's, DSLR's. Look, that magazine is reviewing the new
    : Canon 60D. Yawn. Much like the last DSLR, much like all of them.
    : Black bodies, virtually indistinguishable, modelled after the same
    : camera bodies we've had since the 1960's. No one will deny DSLR's
    : still dominate the pro ranks and clean-up when it comes to the
    : pinnacle of photo excellence but there comes a time when you have to
    : ask, "Is a camera using a 50 year-old design model the best they can
    : do?" Is there a reason mirrorless has caught on (at least in Asia and
    : Europe at least) so well? Given the performance of the Panasonic GH2
    : when it comes to focusing speed and quality of the Olympus add-on EVF,
    : would anyone really be upset if Nikon released a mirrorless, compact
    : FF? I don't think so. It would fly of the shelves. Something the
    : size of a Leica M9 coupled to a Nikon 24mm f1.4 lens with the D3s
    : sensor. Just imagine that.

    Canon is hardly boring to me, since they just released the T3i after I
    recently predicted it would never happen. I had surmised that the top of the
    Rebel line would be subsumed by Canon's putative mirrorless line. An
    embarrassing revelation of my skill as a prognosticator, to say the least.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 14, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Too bad. A mirrorless (or anything) would have been more interesting.

    RichA, Feb 14, 2011
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > On 2011-02-13 18:15:41 -0800, RichA <> said:
    : >
[...]
    : > Damn it Rich!
    : > What is going to make you happy?
    : > Bumper-bullets, tail fins, & a candy apple paint job?
    : >
    :
    : No. The 1950's (oddly enough, a time when the current SLR shape came
    : into being in a big way) autos were plagued by a manufacturing process
    : incapable of making sharp corners except at cut and welded edges. I
    : HATE rounded cars. That's what the Japanese build. Everything soft-
    : looking, identical looking. Give me a mid-1970s Ford or Lincoln with
    : their squared-off lines, or a Cadillac CTS-V today. No fins, no
    : bumper bullets, no prism housing. As for paint jobs, when was the
    : last time you saw any of the zombies who buy cars today without a grey/
    : silver car? Pass the Soma...

    You're hitting a bit close to home there, Buddy. I happen to be on my sixth
    silver or gray car. It's a Kia, but the first two were a Porsche and a Dodge
    Super Bee. I may be a zombie now, but it was not always so.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 14, 2011
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >
[...]

    And yet, the T3i, which appears to be a T2i with the 60D's flip-out screen,
    will probably be an excellent camera. My wife's T2i does a fine job.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 14, 2011
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I have a silver car and a goldish-colored car. I didn't go looking
    for either color. They were the colors of cars available on the
    dealer's lot in the model and with the accessories that I wanted. I
    bought them from the inside out.

    They replaced a dark red car and a grape colored car. Again, the
    models available on the dealer's lot.

    As for the body style - curves or boxy - that is as unimportant to me
    as the hubcap design. More important to me is ease of entry and exit,
    visibility of traffic around me, seat comfort and adjustability, fuel
    economy, leg room, cup holders, power points, and - of course - price.

    I care about the inside, not what other drivers see.

    tony cooper, Feb 14, 2011
  8. RichA

    charles Guest

    Hmm, my gray car is green, I wonder what that means.

    charles, Feb 14, 2011
  9. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Boring is good. Thanks heaven for boring cameras that just take good
    pictures without a lot of drama.
    Thank's coming from the same dumbshit who jeered at Pentax for coming
    out with colorful cameras.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2011
  10. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Boring is good. Thank heaven for boring cameras that just take good
    pictures without a lot of drama.
    That's coming from the same dumbshit who jeered at Pentax for coming
    out with colorful cameras.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2011
  11. RichA

    charles Guest

    They're tools. They take pictures. Why should the camera be
    exciting? It should work for what it's designed to do, take pictures.

    charles, Feb 14, 2011
  12. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    One thing is certain - you would moan and gripe about it ad infinitum.

    Bruce, Feb 14, 2011
  13. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    The Canon mirrorless system is coming ... but no-one outside Canon
    knows exactly when. Some news of the Nikon mirrorless system is
    expected in a few weeks' time, but no product for a few months yet.

    Meanwhile, the Sony NEX and Samsung NX ranges with their high quality
    APS-C sensors are doing some serious damage to the sales of low-end
    DSLRs. They are also very strong competition for the Panasonic and
    Olympus mirrorless systems whose image quality is restricted by their
    Four Thirds sensors.

    So Canon and Nikon shouldn't wait too long, otherwise they will be
    trying to enter a market that is already sewn up.

    Bruce, Feb 14, 2011
  14. My wife and I own two cars. One of them is an all-wheel drive,
    silver compact station wagon that looks like a zombiemobile to the
    casual observer. If they get close enough, they might wonder about
    the stick shift, though.

    Yes, we could have bought it in fly yellow or a brilliant blue. But
    the fact that the car can do 0-60 in 6.0 seconds, comfortably cruise
    at 130+ mph, and pull 0.85 g's on a skidpad is not something we need to
    advertise with "visual excitement" or bright paint schemes. We know
    that performance is there, and both have taken advanced driving courses
    (including track time) to know how to use it. That's enough.

    Michael Benveniste, Feb 14, 2011
  15. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Where, in the US, could you utilize this feature? Boston roundabouts
    are the only place I've ever seen a car going anything approaching
    that speed.

    The zero-to-60 claim would be useful to escape carjackers, but it's
    much easier to avoid areas where carjackers lurk. I suppose it would
    be useful when accelerating from a green light to change lanes, but
    given that several cars from the other direction will be going through
    their yellow, and even red, it's not something I'd try.

    tony cooper, Feb 14, 2011
  16. Why does it have to be "useful"? :)

    This reminds me of a conversation I had. I was in Greece visiting my aunt,
    uncle, and cousin. My cousin's husband doesn't speak fluent English but his
    English is light years ahead of my Greek. He was asking me about my car. I
    had a Chrysler 300c with a 5.7L V-8. He asked me how many CCs my engine
    was. I told him 5,700. By the look on his face I thought he wasn't
    understanding me. He turned to my cousin and spoke in Greek to her to see
    if he heard me right. When she told in Greek what I had said he turned to
    me and asked "Why?" My repsonse was "Why not, I wanted the car."

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Feb 14, 2011
  17. Legally? On various road courses or private roads, although I
    doubt even a professional could reach that speed at a tight
    course like Lime Rock.

    Illegally? No comment.

    I'm not sure Boston has any true roundabout's, and you can
    expect a baffled look from a local if you use that term. There
    are many rotaries in the area, though. While my wife and I do
    call the rotary at routes 129 and 128 "the skidpad," without
    racing slicks I doubt one can reach 130 mph on a typical rotary.

    The car's top speed is limited to about 155 mph by an electronic
    governor, although we could have, legally, swapped in a different
    chip to remove that limitation.

    Michael Benveniste, Feb 14, 2011
  18. We are all getting fed up with relics of the film era, the mirror that
    noisily clunks up and down when taking a picture and the abomination called
    the focussing screen.
    Regards Mike.

    Mike J Cawood, HND BIT, Feb 14, 2011
  19. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I kinda like useful features if I'm paying for the features. But, I
    do understand buying something just because you want it no matter what
    the cost if you can afford it. Not, in my case, any kind of
    automobile, though.

    The only car I've ever longed for is a 1950s XK-120 Jaguar open top,
    but that will wait until I can afford a live-in mechanic and a tow
    truck follow car. I don't care how fast it goes; I just want to sit
    in it.

    I've owned sports cars, convertibles, and luxury cars. All I want or
    need now is a box on wheels with a motor. My two favorite cars I've
    owned in the past were a 1948 Austin A40 and a 1973 VW camper. Both
    were right the time in life when I bought them.

    tony cooper, Feb 14, 2011
  20. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    What is your point?