    digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film camera
    (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
    Many thanks.

    eadg, Mar 15, 2006

  2. The answer is already in the newsgroup : all canon bodies will accept
    them.

    However, the less expensive bodies (350d=XT, 20d, 30d), with a smaller
    "APS-C" sensor, will make appear these lenses longer : the 28-105 will
    seem as a 45-160, speaking about field of view. No more wide angle, a
    bit more tele.
    This will not happen on the more expensive bodies (5d, 1dsMkII) with a
    "full-frame" 24x36mm sensor.

    nikojorj_jaimepaslapub, Mar 15, 2006

  3. eadg

    Skip M Guest

    Any of the Canon digital SLR cameras will take those lenses. But if you use
    them on a current body, you may find the lens quality lacking. We found
    that the 28-105 to be too soft on our 20Ds, a lens that up until then
    enjoyed a reputation as a true bargain, one that gave great image quality at
    a great price.

    Skip M, Mar 15, 2006
  4. eadg

    piperut Guest

    As with anything else, let the buyer beware.
    Some lenses work well on one camera body, and not another.

    I had a 75-300mm F4 Canon lens that gave fairly good results on the
    35mm Canon Rebel, but when I put it on the Canon Digital Rebel I was
    not happy with the results. However, the same lens only the USM
    version give fairly good results on the Digital Rebel.

    I ended up purchasing an 8mm Peleng lens (Fisheye) for my digital
    Rebel. This lens only works in an all manual mode, but the glass is
    fairly nice, and gives good results on the camera.

    I also have a nice tamron 28-75 lens, that I get nice results with.

    The 18 - 55 that came with the kit. Some spots on it are nice, and
    some spots on it are really soft. My wife likes to use it when she
    uses the camera, I don't like to use it much, unless I am trying to
    take something on a wide angle shot. The Tamron lens is a much better
    lens.

    My father had an old 500 mm F-8 FD mount lens, that I managed to find a
    EOS mount for.
    With the help of a friend who used to work in the jewlery business, we
    managed to modify the lens so it works in an all manual mode on the
    camera. However, I really have to use two tripods with that lens, one
    on the camera, and one on the lens to keep from getting lens shake with
    it. The glass on it is nice, but lens shake is a problem. I also have
    no idea what brand of lens it is.

    Some lenses do work nicer on a 35mm camera, and some work nicer on the
    digital camera. Also, the digital media is closer to slide film, so if
    you are not right on the exposure, your image will look soft.

    roland

    piperut, Mar 15, 2006
  5. eadg

    eadg Guest

    Thanks for such an informed reply. Unfortunately I have no Jeweller friends
    so 'manual' adjustment of the lenses is a non starter, perish the thought!
    Obviously, apart from a Kodak digital compact I have for snapshots, I have
    no experience of comparing shots with film vs digital with regard to camera
    shake but as I'm no spring chicken myself I invariably carry a monopod
    around, cunningly disguised as a hiking pole.

    eadg, Mar 15, 2006
  6. eadg

    Bill Funk Guest

    Yes. A 1.6x crop factor, no matter which EF-mount lens is used.

    Bill Funk, Mar 15, 2006
  7. eadg

    SMS Guest

    You really should buy the EOS-5D, as it's the natural successor to the
    EOS-5QD.

    For those unfamiliar with the EOS-5QD, it's an A2E with a dateback
    (never available on the A2E), and without the de-featured firmware of
    the U.S. A2E version.

    SMS, Mar 15, 2006
  8. eadg

    Skip M Guest

    Well, yes and no. I'm not hearing as much about it from, for instance,
    Nikon, but Nikon has a line of specifically digital lenses that is more
    extensive than Canon's, so that might be a factor. But as cameras get past
    the 6mp range, older lenses, especially less than top notch ones, tend to
    suffer. I was surprised at the 28-105, it was so good on film, but we
    thought there was something wrong with our 20Ds when we tried it on one of
    them. Too, we found out later, that lower grade filters affect the image
    more on digital than on film, and that may have been a factor. But our
    100-300 doesn't work that well, either, and it's similar, if a slightly
    better, optically, to the 75-300.

    Skip M, Mar 16, 2006
  9. eadg

    eadg Guest

    Thanks for your input, I'm now starting the long trawl through available
    models in search of what will suit best.

    eadg, Mar 16, 2006
  10. eadg

    piperut Guest

    The EOS lens work fine for the most part. Some of them better then
    others. I did run into trouble at the longer focal length on a
    mechinical motor driven 75-300 lens. The USM 75-300 seems to work
    okay.

    It is possible to modify the old, old FD mount lens if you are a bit
    nuts, and can find an EOS mount without a lens attached. Okay, it was
    a challenge to prove it could be done.
    (With a 1.6 factor... I have nothing I really want to shoot with a
    500mm lens.)

    hmm, monopod as a walking stick... that is a thought.

    roland

    piperut, Mar 16, 2006
  11. eadg

    eadg Guest

    eadg, Mar 16, 2006
  12. eadg

    piperut Guest

    I actually have a monopod in the closest somewhere.
    The last time I used it... I mounted the Peleng 8mm lens on the camera,
    and we had a party in the living room. The room has a vaulted ceiling,
    and from the floor above, I put the camera on the monopod, and put it
    out above the living room and took and shot downward of all the people
    in the living room. My wife looked at this photo, it made her dizzy.
    I have been told not to do this again... :)

    I just had not thought about using the monopod as a walking stick while
    out hiking. I will have to give that some thought. The main problem I
    can see is the levers might get broke off by the brush. However, a
    little bit of creative work here.... I think I can rig up something up
    that is durable enough for the backcountry around here. (Wastach
    Mountains in Utah... some of the trails I hike on are .... fairly
    remote...and well, just plain crazy to be on in the first place. I do
    need to get out this summer. I actually had intended to get out skiing
    this winter, but have not made it yet.)

    roland

    piperut, Mar 16, 2006