    good, or is there anything bad about it?

    Thanks in advance

    Silvia

    Silvia Barge, Apr 16, 2005

  2. Silvia Barge

    Pete D Guest

    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    Pete D, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Silvia Barge

    paul Guest

    Yep they are all like that. Different engineering & goals make it
    impractical.

    paul, Apr 16, 2005

  4. Come on Pete, at least she didn't ask about "movie mode"!!!!

    Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig, Apr 16, 2005
  5. All the same. A partially silvered mirror shines some light up to the
    viewfinder and a fully silvered mirror behind it shines the remaining
    light down to the focusing and metering hardware. You loose live
    preview but you get an accurate viewfinder and lightning fast shutter
    response.

    The 20Da has a live preview mode for fine tuning focus. It's the
    astrophotography version of the 20D. It wouldn't be useful for normal
    photography.

    You get adaptors that will change the angle of the viewfinder.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Silvia Barge

    Silvia Barge Guest

    Gracias Kevin.

    Silvia

    Silvia Barge, Apr 16, 2005
  7. Silvia Barge

    Pete D Guest

    LOL, thank goodness for small mercies.

    Pete D, Apr 16, 2005
  8. Silvia Barge

    Pete D Guest

    I also have a Sony V1 (along with the D-SLR's} and it actually does quite
    good small movies and the sound is surprisingly good.

    Pete D, Apr 16, 2005
  9. Silvia Barge

    Silvia Barge Guest

    You are all sooo wise, I really feel humbled in your company.

    Silvia

    Silvia Barge, Apr 16, 2005
  10. Silvia Barge

    JPS Guest

    In message <d3r3ok$-r.com>,
    This display is called "compensation".

    JPS, Apr 16, 2005
  11. If you still have the box it came in, put it back in the box, take it
    back from where you bought it, and get your money back. Stick with a
    P&S.

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 16, 2005
  12. Silvia Barge

    Pete D Guest

    Seriously Silvia, the reason you buy a camera like this is because it is an
    SLR, by definition there will be a mirror in the way that will normally
    prevent you viewing on screen what you can see in the viewfinder, learn to
    use the viewfinder and you will take better photos. If you really, really
    need to take photos over your head then learn to point in the right
    direction for those shots or buy a ladder, get up high and look through the
    viewfinder, you will take better photos. Same goes for down low, get an
    angle viewfinder attachment. If all this is too hard then just go for one of
    the better all in one cameras that have a swivel screen and lots of
    features, but remember to use the viewfinder when you can because you will
    take better photos.

    Cheers.

    Pete D

    Pete D, Apr 16, 2005
  13. Silvia Barge

    Ron Hunter Guest

    To answer the question, yes, they are.

    And I agree with the above advice. I don't think a DSLR is your cup of tea.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 17, 2005
  14. Silvia Barge

    Paul J Gans Guest

    All are the same. The "reflex" in the name means that
    the image through the lens is reflected up to the top of
    the camera by a mirror and then reflected again out through
    the viewfinder.

    Unlike a non-SLR what you see is what the lens sees (except
    that the viewfinder often crops the view a bit at the edges.)

    When you press the shutter button the main mirror flips up,
    the shutter opens and the picture is taken.

    Then and only then is the sensor read and its output shown
    on the screen (if you have it turned on.)

    I can't help you here. I've only got the earlier EOS 300D, which
    I dearly love.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 17, 2005
  15. Silvia Barge

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Right. Newbies have no right to ask questions. Thank
    goodness I'm not a newbie...

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 17, 2005
  16. Well, is there any technical problem to flip the mirror
    out of the way (losing the picture in the optical viewfinder,
    of course), if I want it that way?
    Maybe, but e.g. I am regularly using live histogram in more
    difficult lighting conditions - do I lose that possibility too?

    Stanislav Meduna, Apr 17, 2005
  17. Silvia Barge

    Pete D Guest

    Yes indeed!

    Pete D, Apr 17, 2005
  18. Silvia Barge

    Pete D Guest

    Actually the Canon 20Ds or is it the 20Da will do live preview but will cost
    lots more.

    Pete D, Apr 17, 2005
  19. Silvia Barge

    dj NME Guest

    Just to make things slightly more confusing, Canon anounced the EOS
    20Da.
    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021405canoneos20da.asp>
    It can be used to compose (and focus?) with the mirror locked-up using
    the LCD on the back.
    I don't realy know if this is possible in everyday conditions, because
    it is aparently being marketed to astronomy photographers (the "a"
    seems to stand for "astronomy").

    dj NME, Apr 17, 2005
  20. Silvia Barge

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Yes.
    The shutter will still be closed, so no light will reach the sensor.

    Tumbleweed, Apr 17, 2005