    lenses for the 300D; so I'm looking for suggestions from the ranges
    provided by Tamron, Vivitar etc. Pointers as to build quality, image
    quality and value for money most welcome.

    neil leslie, Oct 25, 2004

  2. neil leslie

    PhotoMan Guest

    If you want true macro, you'll have to go with one of many fixed focal
    length units available. Almost all zooms that claim to be macro capable are
    merely close focusing lenses, and don't remotely approach macro range. By
    definition, 'macro' begins at life-size (1X) magnification. Less than
    life-size is a reduction in magnification. (.9X and smaller)

    PhotoMan, Oct 25, 2004

  3. neil leslie

    GT40 Guest

    Canon has 2 options that might help you, close-up filters and
    extenstion tubes.

    GT40, Oct 25, 2004
  4. neil leslie

    neil leslie Guest

    I can live with less than 1:1 so a close focusing lens would be fine.

    neil leslie, Oct 25, 2004
  5. neil leslie

    macro Guest

    You might want to take a look at the Sigma 70-300mm Macro APO II. It's not all
    that great as a telephoto lens past about 225mm, but is not bad at all in macro
    mode.

    One nice feature is you can use macro mode from 200-300mm. No insect is safe.

    macro, Oct 25, 2004
  6. neil leslie

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <cliupr$oq0$1$>
    The EF-S 18-55mm kit lens will focus close enough to cover an area of
    2.5x1.7 inchs. The performance of this lens is better than than many
    realize:

    http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/20D/index.htm

    Cheap build quality
    Good image quality when stopped down
    Value tremendous

    deryck lant, Oct 25, 2004
  7. neil leslie

    andre Guest

    I am using a Sigma 28-80mm lens that has a macro function. You can only
    switch it to macro if it is set to 80mm (so its fixed focal length for
    macro shots as well). The lens does 1:2 (with the 1.6 multiplier this
    will give you 1:1.25.
    Its not the best you can get but I got it cheap on ebay (new) and
    I am quite happy with it.

    Andre

    andre, Oct 26, 2004