    clearly read the road names so there was no camera shake.

    This was a test for the camera.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 2, 2005

  2. Brian

    Eric Gill Guest

    Sounds more like a test for your tripod or ability to handhold.

    Cameras aren't "steady". Whatever is holding them is.

    Eric Gill, May 2, 2005

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I was thinking of photographing some maps in the public library some
    time and was interested to see if the camera would take steady photos.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 2, 2005
  4. Brian

    PhotoMan Guest

    The camera is only as steady as its support - either you or a tripod, table
    top, etc.

    PhotoMan, May 2, 2005
  5. Brian

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Generally true, BUT....
    A camera with a well damped mirror will be more capable.

    Tumbleweed, May 2, 2005
  6. Brian

    Eric Gill Guest

    I really, really doubt you're going to see a difference hand-holding, or
    with any exposure you can hand-hold.

    Eric Gill, May 2, 2005
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Also a light touch shutter button helps.
    On my older 35mm camera I need more force on the shutter button and
    meed to move the button downwards futher before the camera takes the
    picture causing extra camera movement.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 3, 2005
  8. Slowly squeeze the trigger. Same as shooting weapons.

    Charles Schuler, May 3, 2005
  9. Brian

    Paul Furman Guest

    I was always under the impression that a tripod is worthless without a
    remote trigger of some sort though people use monopods too so it's
    obviously not a hard rule.

    PS I set my camera to burst mode so that if I press slowly, it'll take a
    few shots before I can release which is sort of annoying. I guess I
    should change that, it probably does diminish my stability to make quick
    jabs as I'm inclined to do to avoid a burst.

    Paul Furman, May 3, 2005
  10. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    UUUUH, that's why you have a THUMB. Put it under the camera, and
    SQUEEZE. No button 'pushing'...

    Ron Hunter, May 3, 2005
  11. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    NEVER 'jab' the shutter button. That's an invitation to bad pictures.
    Squeeze the button with the thumb under the bottom of the camera, and
    the finger on the button.

    Ron Hunter, May 3, 2005
  12. Brian

    MarkH Guest

    To use a tripod without a remote trigger you should use the self timer. If
    you use a tripod enough that you find using the self timer to be a pain,
    then buy a remote trigger.

    MarkH, May 3, 2005
  13. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I was talking about a camera I brought way back in the 1970's they
    have improved on camera trigger buttons since...thank goodness.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, May 3, 2005
  14. Brian

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Don't forget the other part which is to breathe out and hold your breath
    out then take the photo.

    Neil Ellwood, May 3, 2005
  15. Brian

    Skip M Guest

    Try putting your thumb under a 20D with a battery pack or a 1D/1Ds and
    squeeze the shutter button. And for good measure, add a flash bracket.
    You'd better have REALLY big hands to try that trick... ;-)

    Skip M, May 3, 2005
  16. Brian

    Paul Furman Guest

    I thought you are supposed to breath out slowly while shooting.

    I cannot reasonably hold my thumb on the bottom of a D70.

    Paul Furman, May 3, 2005
  17. Brian

    Bob Burns Guest

    Take a breath, release half and hold- then click. BTW, I was taught many
    years ago to not expect good photos at exposures longer than 1/60 when hand
    held.

    Bob Burns, May 4, 2005
  18. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Years ago, I could handhold 3 second shots. Now 1/30 is a stretch.
    Another year or two and I will be at 1/60, but not yet.

    Then I see another guy with his digital camera held out at arms length,
    framing with the LCD, eating battery power, and getting blurry pictures,
    and wondering why...
    Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005
  19. Brian

    JPS Guest

    In message <Oo3ee.3727$>,
    You were taught wrong. It depends completely on the angular
    magnification of the subject, which is related directly to the focal
    length and sensor/film size at infinity, and wildly variable for
    close-ups, as each lens has a different minimum focus distance. It
    depends on the camera as well. With my Sony F707, I took many telephoto
    pictures (what the camera calls "190mm") at 1/30s. I can not hand-hold
    my Canon DSLRs with such long exposures, with equivalent angles of view;
    not by a longshot. That's because nothing was snapping around inside
    the Sony for an exposure; the Canon has a big shutter and slappy mirror.

    JPS, May 4, 2005