    the camera.

    Thanks
    Mouse

    mouseorgan, Sep 25, 2003

  2. mouseorgan

    John M Guest

    I'm not sure about this one in particular, but I know many chargers do work
    at both voltages. I had no trouble with most of my stuff when I was in
    Europe a few years ago. I did check the manuals first though. Maybe you
    can look in the online PDF manuals at Canon's website.

    John M, Sep 25, 2003

  3. mouseorgan

    Ed E. Guest

    The charger accepts an input of 100v to 240v. It does only come with the
    US-style plug. The cord is detachable from the charger, which would lead me
    to believe that a European-style cord could easily replace the US version.

    Even if you had to buy a charger, you'd still come out way ahead on the
    price difference you had mentioned.

    Ed E., Sep 25, 2003
  4. mouseorgan

    mouseorgan Guest

    Thanks for that. I'll definitely get one ordered for delivery when I get to
    Florida.

    I wish someone (maybe even someone at Canon) could explain why there is such
    a huge differential in price. The UK price of this camera is approx GBP 850
    mail order inc lens while US mail order is about USD 900.

    mouseorgan, Sep 25, 2003
  5. mouseorgan

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Taxes..

    I'm Canadian and we face the same thing.. Our governments provide a lot more
    social services than the US goverment does. Those services aren't free. We
    pay for them in taxes.. (Duty.. VAT etc).

    Businesses that sell goods pay more tax on their profits as well.. The cost of
    the tax on business is reflected in the higher price on the shelf.. Canon of
    Britain pays more taxes and so does the wholesaler and eventually the
    retailer.

    Consider fuel tax.. Once a 300D arrives on the shore of a country, it winds up
    being conveyed by truck at least once. The truck needs fuel. The fuel cost
    is incorporated into the shipping cost. In the US, a trucker's fuel cost is
    about 1.10 GBP per Imperial gallon for petrol (I converted it).. What is it
    in Britain ?

    Speaking of taxes.. I'd contact your local customs branch to see what they're
    going to charge you for importing the camera..

    Oh yes.. I'd check on warranty as well.. I'm pretty sure cameras sold in
    North America only have a North American warranty. You may find you have to
    send the camera to a US warranty depot if you run into troubles..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 25, 2003
  6. mouseorgan

    John Guest

    How much is the duty going to cost to get it home? Sometimes, the price can
    go pretty high for products such as this.

    John, Sep 25, 2003
  7. mouseorgan

    Scott Elliot Guest

    Since it uses the same battery as my D60 I assume that it uses the same or a
    similar battery charger. The charger will handle voltages from 100 V to
    240V, but the North American plug will not fit into UK sockets. You can buy
    a really cheap adapter plug that converts the plug, just plug the charger
    cord into the adapter and the adapter into the UK wall socket. I used a
    similar adapter on my trip to South Africa last year. You do not need or
    want a much more expensive voltage converter.

    For long term use you could either cut off the American plug and install a
    UK one or just try to find a replacement cord in the UK.

    Scott Elliot
    http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

    Scott Elliot, Sep 26, 2003
  8. mouseorgan

    mouseorgan Guest

    Yes I agree we pay higher taxes in the UK - it's a moot point whether we
    receive better public services. Since our present government was elected our
    taxes have increased by about 60% while health, education, transport etc
    have gone down the pan. But that's another story.

    I think I'll live life on the edge and carry it through in my camera bag
    with other stuff. After all I'll be returning from vacation. I know this
    makes me a outlaw and smuggler but hey, what the hell.

    I'll to check out the warranty situation with Canon.

    Cheers.

    mouseorgan, Sep 26, 2003
  9. mouseorgan

    Lansbury Guest

    I've seen on the forums at dpreview that the US 300Ds come with a
    worldwide warranty.

    Lansbury, Sep 26, 2003
  10. Bear in mind that you'll run this risk every time you take it out of the
    country. Many years ago my wife took her Nikon with her on a business
    trip to NZ. On the way back she had to wait while customs checked the
    serial numbers to confirm it had been properly imported into the UK.
    This despite the obvious signs of use/wear & tear.
    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Sep 26, 2003
  11. mouseorgan

    stu Guest

    Hi, I have returend from Florida this morning after a weeks holiday.

    I bought a Digi Rebel whilst out there from Ritz Cameras in the Beltz Oulet
    off I drive. They were only delivered last Thursday and I got mine on the
    Friday.

    I paid $999 for the kit inc lens and am very pleased. My only advice for you
    is check out the 'reputable' shops only. There is a lot of shops selling
    over priced crap - often with misleading shop names that make you feel like
    they are proper camer shops! Every one I went into and asked about the
    digital rebel replied - "there is not one" or it will be about "2000 bucks
    if it ever arrives!"

    First thoughts on the rebel (its replacing my D30) excellent focusing, quick
    start up, lens is a bargain for the extra $100, only 3 things are bugging me
    so far - no jog dial on the back, flash pops up a lot in P mode and finaly
    eats up space on my CF flash card (LOL!!)

    Good luck with your purchase

    Stu

    stu, Sep 27, 2003
  12. mouseorgan

    stu Guest

    Sorry forgot to add, the battery charger is dual voltage, it is powered by a
    2 pin (cassette recorder type lead) that pugs into the power pack. Totally
    universal. You can set the camera to display date in UKor US format, and you
    can set language to English, and finally you can change the video display
    output to PAL.

    There is also an international warranty card included.

    Any more questions please ask.

    Stu

    stu, Sep 27, 2003