Canon EOS 20D (LEAKED PHOTOS backups)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard Cockburn, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. I already posted this in another thread. Sorry if you already saw this. The
    people at Canon USA seem to have discovered the leak and pulled the page.
    Here are some backups I made of the leaked 8 Megapixel EOS 20D images.

    http://www.picgoo.com/uploads7/20d_angle.jpg

    http://www.picgoo.com/uploads7/20d_headon.jpg

    http://www.picgoo.com/uploads7/20d_back.jpg

    Specs again:

    EOS-20D
    8.2 MegaPixels
    DIGIC II
    1:1.6x Crop
    9 Point focusing
    1/8000s Max Shutter speed
    5fps Continuous speed
    25 frame buffer
    EF-s support
    E-TTL II support
    0.2sec shorter startup time than 10D
    50g lighter than 10D

    Two new lenses

    EF-S 10-22 mm f3.5 - 4.5
    EF-S 17-85 IS f4-5.6

    Richard Cockburn, Aug 18, 2004

  2. So how much you think? I wouldn't be surpised if they ask US $2000 bundled
    with a EF-S lens because I think they could get it.

    this old user, Aug 18, 2004

  3. You price guess is just a touch higher than mine.

    Nice camera but not earthshaking from my point of view.

    Charles Schuler, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Agreed. But you know they could get it if they asked because it's got 8MP,
    like that is really a big deal compared to 6MP.

    I saw here and elsewhere the list price is supposed to be $1600. I'm
    surprised it's priced lower than the 10D was originally and with a kit lens
    apparently.

    this old user, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Richard Cockburn

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Nice camera but not earthshaking from my point of view.

    I doubt that many 10D users will trade up to this right away, BUT think about
    the choice it offers to the people deciding between Canon and, say, the new
    Minolta 6 Mpix dSLR, or those who are undecided between Nikon and Canon?
    Especially if the price is close enough to what the 10D sold for ...

    Will be interesting to see what Nikon and Minolta announce in response.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Richard Cockburn

    PlaneGuy Guest

    I don't know why that price would be surprising - compare the price of the
    D30 to its replacement, the D60, and in turn to its replacement the 10D -
    each time a significant price reduction. (Although my reading was that a
    Canadian store was selling for the USD equivelant of USD1600, which means US
    stores like B&H would probably be 10-20% cheaper or, 1400-1500 USD.

    PlaneGuy, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Richard Cockburn

    Mark B. Guest

    On the forums at dpreview, someone reported that onecall.com gave a price of
    $1700 MSRP. The street price should be a few hundred less than that.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 19, 2004
  8. Richard Cockburn

    James Fisher Guest

    Nice photoshop job..

    James Fisher, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Not Photoshop, the Canon 8 MP 20D will be released. Iam not convinced that
    the other specs are accurate.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Richard Cockburn

    Ron Recer Guest

    From: "this old user"
    The 8Mp is NOT a big deal especially when one of the sites that supposedly
    showed the 20D said that the RAW file size was "8.2 MP (3072x2048 pixels)".
    Several other places referred to the camera as "10D" instead of "20D" and the
    buffer size was shown as 25 frames in one place and 9 frames in another. To
    many errors in the text for it to have been a real Canon site IMO.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Richard Cockburn

    leo Guest

    Why not?

    These kinds of web pages are done way ahead of time and a link was made from
    the main site when time is ripe. Someone can easily sneak out the URL to the
    public.

    And the URL address with "temeplatedata" clearly indicates that they were
    testing the page.

    Neverthless, the specification is pretty close to what I expected and I
    predicted the the 10D replacement would have EF-S mount. ...But how come
    there's no spot metering? Not that 20D would cannibalize any 1D MK II sales.

    leo, Aug 19, 2004
  12. I saw the "20D" images on the Canon USA website before they were
    pulled. I didn't see any specs tho...

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Aug 19, 2004
  13. Nop. Take a look at this Canon Japan site. They may of course have used
    Photoshop in the production af the site ;-)

    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/index.html

    Peter

    Peter Rongsted, Aug 19, 2004
  14. Richard Cockburn

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Aug 20, 2004
  15. Darrell Larose, Aug 20, 2004
  16. Richard Cockburn

    Eric Gill Guest

    (Bill Hilton) wrote in
    I dunno. If the claim of 1600 ISO having the same noise as 400 ISO does on
    the 10D is accurate, they'll get my money.

    The 10Ds ISO 400 has saved the day on many occasions for me, trading lovely
    colors and decent shooting speeds for a bit less detail. ISO 1600 shooting
    speed with that quality makes me pay attention like a heroin addict,
    especially if other settings show a comparable increase.

    If it isn't marketing hype. Apparently reviewers won't be able to answer
    that question till the 23rd.

    <snip>

    Eric Gill, Aug 20, 2004
  17. Richard Cockburn

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    They will have mine as soon as my 20D arrives (been on a list since last
    Sunday). 300D will then be my wife's. Good thing: most say her shots
    are better than mine, using a refined P&S; giving her a dSLR is a good idea.

    Phil

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Aug 20, 2004
  18. Bart van der Wolf, Aug 20, 2004
  19. Ditto. I shoot a lot of available light and have shaky hands.
    Virtually no noise at ISO 1600 would be a godsend.
    Well, Canon has some sample images up - dunno if any are low-light.

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 20, 2004
  20. Richard Cockburn

    Eric Gill Guest

    The Canon Japan site had shot info - all are at 100 ISO, using the 50mm
    f/1.4 prime. Two are in studio. The tower shot is certainly low light,
    but towers usually don't move very quickly and they almost certainly used
    a tripod.

    IOW, nothing useful on the subject we're discussing, damnit!

    Truthfully, though, the more information we're getting, the more I like
    the new body. For example, write speed to Compact Flash tests to
    something like 3 times faster (!), and you can preview while it's still
    writing. I've always envied this of competing rigs.

    And the faster, better focus. Just these three features alone would have
    saved me considerable headache yesterday, shooting dancers in a studio.

    Let's hope the reviewers have some good news Monday...

    Eric Gill, Aug 20, 2004