canon digital rebel xt vs nikon D40. which is better for first time DSLR buyer? TIA

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by joe smith, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. joe smith

    joe smith Guest

    joe smith, Mar 9, 2007

  2. joe smith

    jaraz Guest

    I think you need to consider how you want to use your camera in the
    future. Remember, with a DSLR, unless your a point and shoot guy,
    your biggest expense will come in your lenses as you become more
    comfortable with the camera and want to get more creative. As you buy
    more and more lenses you being to build a system so when it comes time
    to buy your next body, say either the Canon 30D or Nikon D200, this
    will depend on the lenses you bought and the system you built. In
    other words, your first DSLR usually determines the system you will be
    using for years to come. Don't get me wrong, some people do switch
    but it becomes much more expensive when you've invested $5000+ in
    Nikon lenses and now you want to buy the new Canon Body ($900 for the
    body and another $5,000+ for all new Canon lenses). Either way, both
    are great systems so you can't really go wrong.

    Consider the type of photography you want to do and then take a look
    at what lenses are available for each system, because, trust me, you
    will find yourself wanting a new lens quicker then you think.

    Personally, I'm a Nikon user with no plans to switch.

    jaraz, Mar 9, 2007

  3. It very probably doesn't matter a bit. Unless you get into buying the
    $1000+ lenses very quickly, it just won't matter. Even for low-light
    performance, it doesn't sound like the bottom-end Canon has much of
    anything over the D40.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 9, 2007
  4. joe smith

    joe smith Guest

    i don't really plan to buy new lenses. does d40 produce better quality
    than the rebel xt with the kit lens?

    joe smith, Mar 9, 2007
  5. joe smith

    jaraz Guest

    The kit lenses are probably fine for some low light situations at the
    widest focal length but remember, as you zoom with those kit lenses
    your f-stop is going to be reduced, letting less light in, with
    unfavorable results. This is when you start itching for that 1.4
    lens. As for the quality, I believe you will be happy with either. I
    suggest going on to Flickr.com and searching for photos by Camera
    Type. See what you like.
    You can also check out http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
    to compare results side-by-side.

    Hope that helps and good luck.

    jaraz, Mar 9, 2007
  6. joe smith

    King Sardon Guest

    Not planning to buy accessory lenses is up to you, of course, but the
    main advantage of a DSLR, and a justification for the extra cost and
    weight, is being able to change lenses.

    The kit lenses for both Canon and Nikon are very good, though, and I
    doubt you will see any difference between these and the expensive
    lenses when viewing on a monitor or printing up to 8x10 inches. But
    you do limit yourself in other ways, for instance speed (max aperture)
    and no image stabilization.

    KS

    King Sardon, Mar 9, 2007
  7. joe smith

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Depends on your needs. Try them out, compare their features, how they
    fit in your hands, and compare the selection of lenses, then buy the
    camera that best meets your needs. Both are excellent cameras.

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 14, 2007
  8. joe smith

    mike.whorley Guest

    The kit lens on the Canon is NOT as good as the kit kit lens on the
    D40. Most reviews criticise the quality of the Canon kit lens & praise
    the D40 one.

    mike.whorley, Mar 16, 2007
  9. joe smith

    mike.whorley Guest

    Yes

    mike.whorley, Mar 16, 2007
  10. joe smith

    lubecki Guest

    One disadvantage of the D40 is that it doesn't have an autofocus drive
    pin. This means that in order to have autofocus you need to use lenses
    that have their own focus drive (AF-S and AF-I lenses). AFAIK the
    Canon doesn't have that restriction.

    -Gniewko

    lubecki, Mar 16, 2007
  11. That's because Canon AF lenses ALL have a motor in them. Which made
    them more expensive than Nikon lenses, in the early years. Tradeoffs
    change over the years, and for at least that camera Nikon seems to have
    decided Canon was right.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 16, 2007
  12. joe smith

    dj_nme Guest

    I have a feeling that Nikon adpoted it because it make the body that
    tiny bit cheaper to manufacture: no lens-motor and gearing required.
    It also makes all of the new lenses slightly dearer to manufacture, now
    they must have an inbuilt motor for AF to work on the new body.

    dj_nme, Mar 16, 2007
  13. joe smith

    ASAAR Guest

    While the savings are no doubt viewed favorably by Nikon, I think
    that the motor was dropped primarily because the intention was to
    produce a very small camera. Because of minor size differences,
    I've thought that arguments that "changing from CF to SD cards
    allows cameras to be smaller" to be almost silly, except for
    possibly the smallest cameras. But the D40 is certainly much
    smaller than the similar D50, so the elimination of the motor and
    drive train probably was a big contributing factor. Although I'd
    prefer the smaller size, I may get a D50 while they're still
    available new, as I have several of Nikon's older lenses. The D50
    and D40 have almost identical optical performance, but the D50
    shares compatibility with the batteries used by several other Nikons
    (D70, D80, etc.). So the new battery, or at least the clones will
    probably be more expensive for a while. Additionally, its capacity
    is much reduced, 1,000mAh for the new EN-EL9 vs. 1,400mAh for the
    EN-EL3a. Battery life should still be pretty good for the D40 so
    the reduced battery life may not be too important unless the flash
    gets considerable use.

    ASAAR, Mar 17, 2007
  14. joe smith

    pat60