    settings to use. Could anyone help out?

    I have tried lowering the ISO setting in the manual mode with poor
    results.

    chris, May 26, 2004

  2. chris

    Robertwgross Guest

    That lens is not known to be very fast. Something like f/2 or f/2.8 is better
    for night.
    First of all, let your internal meter do the work. With Tv mode, let the meter
    find some combination of shutter and aperture and ISO that will work. Then plug
    those into sports mode or any other mode. In general, you will need to get the
    ISO high, the shutter speed very fast, and let the aperture sit on wide open
    for your best lens.
    That doesn't make any sense at all. To get more sensitivity for night lighting,
    you need to kick the ISO settting as high as you can go.

    In the event that you get ISO too high and get too much color noise, then that
    can be post-processed out using a noise reduction program. (I use Neat Image
    for that, but there are others.)

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, May 26, 2004

  3. chris

    Skip M Guest

    First thing to do is to forget that any of the "PIC" modes even exist. If
    you ever upgrade to a pro/prosumer camera, they won't be there for you.
    Program mode will work better for you than those modes, even "Sport." I
    don't have a DRebel, so I don't know if it has "Program Shift." If it does,
    set the camera on "Program" and use the main dial to vary the aperture to
    wide open. The camera will set the appropriate shutter speed. Or,
    conversely, vary the shutter speed, and the aperture will change, keeping
    the exposure value the same.
    If it doesn't have program shift, set it on Av, set the aperture as wide as
    it will go (f4-5.6?) and set the ISO as high as you can (1600?) The lens
    you have isn't really well suited to night action shots, it's too slow
    (small aperture), for that you really need an f2.8, which really run some
    bucks. That's the primary reason I don't shoot night sports, my 100-400
    f4-5.6L IS keeps me at a shutter speed that is too slow to capture much in
    low light.

    Skip M, May 27, 2004
  4. chris

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I'd use Av mode and set the lens to wide open and then have the camera
    use the fastest available shutter speed.
    Set the ISO to 1600, possibly even use a -1 stop exposure compensation.
    Switch to RAW mode would help but is probably beyond the abilities of
    the poster.

    Ray Fischer, May 29, 2004