Canon Digital EOS Rebel Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Christina S Cericola, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

    I have searched rec,photo,digital and did not find what I was Looking for.
    My question is: Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS Rebel
    , What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
    about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
    from people that actually shot with it. Thanks in advance for everyone's
    help. I always can count on this newsgroup for help. :)

    Thanks Again,

    Christina

    Christina S Cericola, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Christina S Cericola

    G.T. Guest

    I have one, it's first and only dslr.

    #1, feels cheaper than other digital and film SLRs I've tried.
    #2, small buffer only allows 4 quick shots in continuous mode, after
    that it's 1 shot per second.
    #3, no flash exposure compensation, but that's now fixed with the
    Russian firmware.

    Except for those three things I absolutely love it, I like the controls,
    I like the the kit lens, so far I've only added a 55-200mm, it's a fun
    camera.

    Greg

    G.T., Jun 27, 2004

  3. Apart from the functional differences and build, the viewfinder is the
    main difference. Like the Nikon D70, the 300D uses a mirror box instead
    of a glass prism, to cut down on weight and cost. The 10D uses a real
    prism, and the result is much crisper, more contrasty viewfinder image.
    This difference is carried through the whole camera - same basic image
    sensor, but a much superior body if you need a heavier duty, better
    feeling camera.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Thanks G.T. sometimes I get a lot of unhelpful nonsense when I post. Thank
    you agin for your observations

    Christina S Cericola, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Christina S Cericola

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  6. << Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS Rebel
    , What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
    about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
    from people that actually shot with it. >>

    Christina-

    The Rebel 300 is a fine camera. It is lacking some features the more expensive
    models have, but has accurate shutter speed and accepts the best lenses Canon
    offers.

    Judging by your web site, you most likely have the talent to produce
    outstanding images using a camera that has a minimum capability. As a
    professional you may find the Rebel acceptable. On the other hand, your images
    may benefit from the additional capabilities of more expensive models.

    For example, the Canon EOS 1Ds not only has a greater number of sensor elements
    than the Rebel, the sensor is larger so less magnification is required for a
    given image size.

    While I have been generally satisfied with the performance of my Rebel, there
    are a few minor things that annoy me such as having trouble making it focus
    where I want it to. I have never tried any of the higher models, so it is hard
    to tell if they would be any better.

    Have you considered renting one? That way you could spend some time with it
    and form your own opinion.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Christina S Cericola

    Rick Guest

    I have had mine for a few months now and I love it. Incredibly clear,
    beautiful pics, I love being able to use quality Canon glass and it has more
    features than I'll ever use. I do wish it had a bigger buffer---you only
    get 4 shots before it has to unload to the memory card---but it hasn't been
    a big deal for me so far.

    Rick, Jun 28, 2004
  8. This is a tale you hear a lot. If you actually try the
    cameras in a store, you _may_ find it to be quite wrong.

    At least to my eye, the 300D viewfinder is great. I can see all the way out
    to the corners, and focus pops in and out better than any camera I currently
    own (Mamiya 645, Rolleiflex with Maxwell screen). There is something a tad
    chintzy about the image in the viewfinder; the 10D certainly seems smoother
    and less harsh. But for framing and manual focusing, the 300D kicks the
    10D's butt. (This is with my (-8.75 diopter) glasses. You should try the
    cameras with your eyes and your glasses/contacts.)
    This is anothe tale you hear a lot. If you actually try the
    cameras in a store, you _may_ find it to be quite wrong.

    I really like the way the 300D fits my hand and I'm not fond of excessive
    weight. So the 300D is the "better feeling camera". If Canon comes out with
    a full-frame "3D" or "10D II", I'll buy it and put up with the weight and
    viewfinder, as I do with MF equipment. (It's the image quality, stupid.) But
    when the image quality's the same, one has a choice.

    Besides, if you buy a 300D, you'll want to keep it as your light weight go
    anywhere camera when you get the full-frame "3D" or "10D II" after it
    appears, whereas the 10D will sit in a drawer or have to be ebayed.

    (IMHO, the 10D is getting too close to its sell-by date. It's almosty 18
    months old, and a camera-month is like a dog year.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 28, 2004
  9. There is no way to properly frame without a sports finder. How do you
    know what's been framed out? You don't!

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Christina S Cericola

    Chris Brown Guest

    Quite so. I have a 10D, my wife has a 300D. I'm hard pressed to see any
    difference in the viewfinder with the same lens mounted.

    Chris Brown, Jun 28, 2004
  11. I also had no problems with the 300D viewfinder. Surprisingly bright
    and easy to view through, even without a fast lens.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 28, 2004
  12. Christina S Cericola

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    My experiences, too.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 28, 2004
  13. Christina S Cericola

    tekfull Guest

    How would you know, you have to be able to take pics

    tekfull, Jun 28, 2004
  14. Christina S Cericola

    leo Guest

    My take is if you know what you're missing in 300D that you absolutely need,
    by all mean, get 10D. Otherwise, you'd be glad to save a few hundreds on
    300D, collect some good lenses. My experience is a really good lens make
    lots of difference in color saturation, contrast, sharpness. In general,
    many people are quite happy with their 300D. When a replacement camera with
    new sensor technology comes out, you won't feel too bad about selling your
    current one. 6MP is good but I feel that the lenses I have got can resolve
    more than the current sensors.

    leo, Jun 28, 2004
  15. Please don't feed the troll. If you ignore him, he'll go away and find
    another news group to bother.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 28, 2004
  16. Christina S Cericola

    Mike Caine Guest

    Quite so. I have a 10D, my wife has a 300D. I'm hard pressed to see any
    Ditto and Ditto. I'd forgotten that the 300D has a mirrored box

    Mike Caine, Jun 28, 2004
  17. I can't think of any pros, but here are some of the cons:

    1) Shit-quality plastic build
    2) Metering/exposure problems
    3) Focus problems
    4) Poor effective resolution
    5) Horrible software
    6) Battery consumption is ridiculouly bad
    7) Must use tripod or IS lenses to prevent camera shake (unlike Sigma
    SD* cameras which have camera-shake elimination built into the body)
    8) Will be obsolete in a few years
    9) Too much noise
    10) Uses old sensor technolgy - records image pixels in monochrome
    instead of color like the Sigma SD* cameras which use the Foveon
    sensor

    Look into the Sigma SD10. This is the best digital SLR you can buy.

    Giorgio Preddio, Jun 28, 2004
  18. Christina S Cericola

    Chieh Cheng Guest

    Like:
    - Cheapest DSLR in Canon EOS line.
    - Smallest and lightest DSLR in Canon EOS line.
    - Uses the simpler and cheaper RS-60E3 trigger remote.
    - Can use the same battery grip as the D30/D60/10D
    - has infrared remote capability with RC-1 or RC-5
    - huge user base

    Don't Like:
    - Too much automation, not enough manual control
    - Camera selects the focus mode based on expert system
    - Metering mode based on expert system
    - No flash compensation
    - No secondary command dial.
    - Shooting mode dial on the right side.
    - user base at the lower end of photography spectrum

    Chieh

    Chieh Cheng, Jun 28, 2004
  19. Christina S Cericola

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Actually a placstic exterior on a Magnesium frame.
    Not really
    Better than the 3 mp Sigmas
    True -- but who uses the stuff than comes with the camera anyway?
    500-600 shots on a very small battery (vs. the 4 NiMH used by a Sigma):
    Excellent!
    No one else knows of this secret built-in feature -- including Sigma.
    I've not used a tripod with my 300D in 8 months of heavy use.
    Canon has been making SLRs for years and now is the leader in dSLRs.
    Sigma is the cul-de-sac. Likely they will license their Foveon
    technology to someone who can use it to build a real camera.
    I regularly shoot at ISO 400 and get good results at 800 and 1600, too.
    Reviews say the Sigma cannot make it even to ISO 400 without being noisy.
    See 8) above.
    Well, the reviewers (all of them) say otherwise.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 28, 2004
  20. Christina S Cericola

    Corien Guest

    1) Shit-quality plastic build
    Well, yes, but only with my Sigma lens (100-300mm F4.5 - 6.7 DL) !
    ( really !.. any takers :)? ).
    Actually, I do ( use that photostitching programme that came with it - only
    to edit it afterwards in CS or PSP, and the file viewer to download the pics
    form my CF card into my computer..).
    Does the job fast and good enough for me :)
    Obsolete how ? I agree that in a few years there will probably digital SLR
    with different and better specs, but does that mean you suddenly can't take
    good pictures with the "old" one ?

    Corien, Jun 28, 2004