Canon Digital ELPH S400

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry Lee, May 30, 2004.

  1. Larry Lee

    Larry Lee Guest

    Hey guys,

    First, after using the S400 do people notice fingerprinting on the camera?
    I wouldn't normally ask a cosmetic question, but I've noticed 4-5 reviews
    online mentioning this fact.

    So after a lot of reading, I almost decided on the S400... but then came
    across the below review on amazon.com: What do you guys think? Is this
    just an overstatement of an obvious fact, (as in it would happen to any
    digital camera) or is this something to look out for specifically with the
    S400?

    "I bought an S400 seven months ago and was very happy with it. Recently,
    however, it stopped working without warning. When I sent it in to the
    factory service center, I discovered something very troubling about the
    camera that had I known earlier would have caused me to not purchase it.

    It turns out that this model--as well as many other Canon digital cameras,
    the tech told me--has an aluminum body. If you subject the camera to
    temperature changes (and it only takes a change of 10-15 degrees, I was
    told) condensation will form inside the camera, and the camera will start to
    corrode, eventually rendering it unusable.

    This is what had happened to me. What misuse had I subjected my camera to
    that caused this to happen? I took it on vacation to the beach with me.
    Carrying it from the hot and humid beach into an air conditioned car was
    enough to destroy the camera!

    The tech told me that he sees this all the time. He didn't know the percent
    of all Canon cameras that suffer this fate, but he said a lot of them do. He
    told me he gets lots of cameras back from people who have taken them on
    vacation to Arizona, Mexico, and Hawaii. He even saw one that had stopped
    working because the owner kept it stored in a stuffy closet. When the owner
    eventually took it out to use it, the temperature change back to normal room
    temperature was enough to fry the camera.

    I was told that this damage is not covered under warranty and that the
    manual cautions users not to subject their cameras to this sort of
    treatment. Canon will not provide service on cameras that suffer this fate."

    Larry Lee, May 30, 2004

  2. Larry Lee

    Ray Fischer Guest

    That makes no sense. Aluminum doesn't corrude from moisture and there
    are many cameras and computers made with aluminum that have no such
    problems.

    Ray Fischer, May 30, 2004

  3. Larry Lee

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Sounds like your camera tech is smoking crack!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, May 30, 2004
  4. Larry Lee

    Larry Lee Guest

    Thanks, appreciate the input. It seemed a little fishy to me, but I didn't
    have much idea how to verify... thanks again.

    Larry Lee, May 30, 2004
  5. [snip]

    Aluminum is a highly reactive metal but it naturally seals itself inside
    a durable, inert, non-conductive, layer of aluminum oxide. There's
    nothing that will attack the aluminum oxide layer that won't destroy the
    rest of the camera too.

    People who work the customer support phones are not technicians.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 30, 2004
  6. I have an S400 that I have carried around with me all over Hawaii, taken
    it underwater in its case to take great pictures, gone from hot places
    to cool ones quickly, and the thing has never given a problem. The
    pictures astound people and even me, and 11x14 prints look wonderful.
    The exposures look great under a variety of lighting conditions. If it
    were manual, I couldn't have done better on over 99% of the shots.

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, May 31, 2004