    all recommendations.

    Thanks so mucho.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Clyde Torres

    Jer Guest

    Is this even possible?

    [....]

    Jer, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Personally, I am going to replace my Microdrive with a Sandisk Ultra
    II at one or two Gb storage capacity. Main reason: I haven't heard
    anything bad about these cards, I have heard bad things about Lexar -
    cannot verfiy the rumors, therefore trying to go the safe route

    Bernhard Mayer, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres Guest

    I don't know, Jer. I don't have any technical information on ANY camera
    that allows me to determine this. I know a little bit about digital design,
    and I know that flash memory is slow, but there are mechanisms to overcome
    this, especially in burst modes. It is theoretically possible to design a
    flash mem card with a very fast LILO buffer big enough to handle big bursts,
    but I don't have detailed information on any CF cards to determine this.
    With a LILO buffer, all the CF card has to do is absorb the information at a
    very fast asynchronous handshake rate; however, the camera has to process
    the data before it can send it out, and this requires clock cycles/pixel.

    I was hoping that someone hear is savvy enough to give me (us) a
    quantifiable or qualifiable recommendation.

    You do ask a good question, though.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Clyde Torres

    Barry Guest

    I purchased 2 San Disk Ultra II CF cards, 1gig each, from B&H for
    about $100 each. I've used both cards and have had no problems (which
    was expected). The camera writes very, very fast to the cards. The
    SanDisk card reader is about $20.

    Barry, Sep 30, 2004
  6. Sweet price! Seems CF prices are in freefall. (Good thing, too, since pixel
    counts are on the rise again: I'd want at least 2GB for the 20D.)

    In case this site hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Unfortunately, Rob Galbraith hasn't tested the 20D yet, and since the 10D
    and the latest 1D cameras are so different, it's hard to extrapolate and
    second guess what performance will be like on the 20D from those cameras.
    Sigh.

    Still, it seems one can't go badly wrong with Lexar 80x, Sandisk Ultra II,
    or Sandisk Extreme.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 30, 2004
  7. I use nothing but Lexars and have had no problems.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 30, 2004
  8. Clyde Torres

    GT40 Guest

    A Lexar 40X or 80X would be the best choice (not the only one though)

    GT40, Sep 30, 2004
  9. Clyde Torres

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Same here.

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 30, 2004
  10. Clyde Torres

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I've accumulated four 1 GB Lexar 40x over the last couple of weeks,
    averaging $79 per card (two buys, $30 rebate on one card).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 30, 2004
  11. Clyde Torres

    GT40 Guest

    Personaly I use a SanDisk 512MB card, but it was a choice of cost.

    GT40, Sep 30, 2004
  12. Clyde Torres

    Big Bill Guest

    The concept of a current flash RAM card being 'too fast' for the
    camera doesn't seem possible.
    Given that the cards will easily take data at just about any rate up
    to the rated speed, what can be "too fast" about the card?
    It would seem to be like a gas tank inthis respect: you can put the
    gas in slower than the neck will allow, and the tank will accept it.
    Same with the card; put the data in slowly, no problem. That's why the
    same card will work in two different cameras with different write
    speeds.
    Or am I missing something?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Sep 30, 2004
  13. Clyde Torres

    Jer Guest

    It appears the information we seek doesn't appear to be popular in
    equipment specs - the write speed of the camera vs. the write speed of a
    storage card. Some cameras attempt to circumvent slowness by including
    a buffer of some size, which seems a workable scenario.

    Which brings to mind another thing I've pondered... when a camera
    rapidly captures multiple frames, filling it's internal buffer, does the
    capability of capturing additional images shut down altogether (shutter
    freeze) until the buffer is empty? or only freeze the shutter long
    enough to dump the oldest frame to storage, and then allow additional
    captures to resume while continuing to store previously buffered images?

    Jer, Sep 30, 2004
  14. Clyde Torres

    Mitch Alsup Guest

    First its a 20D not a D20, I have one, I am very happy with it.
    Basically any CF card that has a write speed over 40X will give you access
    to the full frame rate of the camera. There are plenty of these available.
    Sometimes the camera can't gain any benefit from a faster CF card data rate,
    but I haven't heard of a CF card having a speed so high the camera can't
    write to the card.
    I am using 4 CF cards of 512MB from a no name manufacture. Cards work great,
    got them off ebay at $50 each.

    Also note the 4Gb and 5Gb microdisks work well also. The sales people want
    $360 for these, however, you can buy an MP3 player for $220 and open it up
    to get the microdrive and throw the rest away (or install a CF card and
    sell it to a friend).
    Mitch

    Mitch Alsup, Sep 30, 2004
  15. Good for you... actually, can I get the very card you have no problems with?

    Bernhard Mayer, Sep 30, 2004
  16. Clyde Torres

    Big Bill Guest

    On my DR, when the buffer is full, I need to wait a few seconds, than
    I can take another shot.
    So, it would seem, for this camera at least, the system is smart
    enough to know when the buffer has room for another shot.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 1, 2004
  17. Clyde Torres

    Frank ess Guest

    I have read that in Nikon digitals the shutter button recovers function
    when there is room for another picture at the current size/quality
    setting.

    Frank ess, Oct 1, 2004
  18. Although the 10D doesn't support WA, I use Lexar 512MB 16X cards and
    have never had a problem.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 1, 2004
  19. Clyde Torres

    Photog Guest

    Hi Clyde! I bought the SanDisk Ultra II for my 20D (which I LOVE by
    the way). It has a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB)
    per second and a read speed of 10MB per second. It's working great for
    me. Have fun with your new baby!!!

    Susan

    Photog, Oct 1, 2004
  20. Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres Guest

    Hi Susan! Funny, I ordered the 20D from Calumet in Chicago, and the
    salesguy suggested the Sandisk 512MB Ultra II, which I bought. I also
    bought B&H UV and polarizer filters. I can hardly wait for that sucker to
    come in!

    Clyde

    Clyde Torres, Oct 2, 2004