    images"?

    Is there any argument about this question? My understanding is that Canon's
    CMOS sensors produce far better image quality than Sony's CCDs.

    Tony Whitaker, Sep 4, 2003

  2. You might like to try arguing that to a Nikon D100 user - which contains a
    Sony CCD. With a small margin for uncertainty, at the 6MP level there's no
    real difference between the 10D (Canon CMOS) and the D100 (Sony CCD).
    Similarly the Fuji sensor in the S2 Pro: to the same level of uncertainty,
    that may be slightly better than either. The Canon 1DS sensor is another
    game entirely in resolution terms (and price terms), but gives up a lot of
    ISO sensitivity.

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Aren't Sony CCDs used in both their P&S cameras, and in current Nikon DSLRs and
    many company's P&Ss? (I think Nikon has announced it will be making its own
    sensors for future cameras.) So surely the argument is really about how much
    processing is done in camera, and thus can not be undone.
    (I use both a Nikon Coolpix 4500, and an EOS10D. In terms of noise and
    particularly in shadow areas, the images from my 10D beat those from the 4500
    even when it's used at 100 ISO. In terms of instant appeal straight out of the
    camera, frequently I prefer the images from the 4500.)

    Malcolm Stewart, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Well, size matters as well (at least here) :) How large is sensor in a P&S
    and how large it is in a DSLR?

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Tony Whitaker

    JackD Guest

    Indeed. I expect this to go away one day. I'd expect that as display quality
    improves we will see things like eyeglass mounted viewfinders which talk to
    the camera body via a wireless link.Still, there is nothing wrong with
    mirrors and prisms. They still work as well as they always have.
    You are forgetting the main advantage of the typical SLR, removable lenses.
    That would be the real issue in my opinion.
    These things change over time. I'm sure that the "lead" will go back and
    forth over time as sensor technology advances.
    Until then, buy what you like. There is room for more than one "best"
    camera.

    -Jack

    JackD, Sep 4, 2003
  6. You mean we are easy to troll? LOL. Already been there.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Tony Whitaker

    Paul H. Guest

    I don't think EVF vs. prism is red herring issue, nor is it limited to
    pro-Sony Canon bashers. The final image is indeed the issue, but how one
    gets to that final image is also important. A really good EVF can show you
    what your exposure *will* be like as you are framing and setting up your
    shot and that makes a lot of folks _very_ comfortable, since it makes a
    camera extremely easy to use out of the box and has a shallower learning
    curve than does a pentaprism SLR camera.

    I like both, but I generally prefer the real TTL approach, probably because
    I cut my teeth on 35mm SLR's. It's pretty much second nature to mentally
    review a scene, set my aperture, spot meter off the brightest/darkest detail
    I'm interested in and adjust exposure accordingly--I don't really even think
    about it much anymore and I seldom blow a shot. However, most people I've
    talked to lately, excepting enthusiast types, don't want to be bothered
    learning the craft of photography, they just want a good final picture and
    many think the EVF leads them there. OK, fine.

    Frankly, I'm cheering for the Canon Digital Rebel and similar cameras,
    though I have no animus toward Sony or other EVF-type cameras. However, I'm
    a dinosaur and I know it--technology is rapidly changing the way photographs
    are produced and in five years everything I hold near and dear in
    photography will seem like it belongs back in the Matthew Brady era. I can
    scarcely believe the acceleration of technology anymore: In the phrase
    "Back in my day, sonny...", the day referred to is getting to be less than
    three or four years ago.

    See you in the fossil pit!

    Paul H., Sep 4, 2003
  8. Tony Whitaker

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    "Pixel dimensions" would be more accurate. The Canon 10D, D60, and 300D
    have higher "resolving power" than the 1Ds, even if they have less
    pixels.

    Take a picture of a fixed subject from a fixed distance with the same
    very sharp lens, and the 1Ds will resolve the subject slightly less than
    the 10D, D60, or 300D. That's because the pixels are further apart on
    the 1Ds sensor.

    JPS, Sep 5, 2003
  9. Tony Whitaker

    JPS Guest

    In message <bj7qmh$hqh$>,
    Yes, slapping mirrors still cause blur-inducing vibrations.

    JPS, Sep 5, 2003
  10. Tony Whitaker

    eddie.m Guest

    As one of the first (if not the first) posters to says EVF is the future - I'd
    like to state I am not pro-sony and my 300D is paid for and should be here is 3
    weeks. Which company or which sensor is not the issue.
    Debate which sensor is best all you like but it has nothing to do with the
    DSLR/EVF thread.
    Eddie M

    eddie.m, Sep 11, 2003