Canon: annoyances of a defective product & service policy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Faughnan, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. My quite lovely Canon G2 came with a quite simple defect in the CA-560
    compact power adapter wall plug. The part of the wall plug that
    connects to the power adapter was not correctly trimmed, so it is
    mis-mated to the power adapter. After a few months of use causing a
    bit of loosening, it the metal contacts in the wall plug don't stay in
    contact with the power adapter. So, there's unreliable recharging.

    Fine, it needs to be replaced under warrantee. I have, however,
    learned a few things about Canon (probably everyone else too) while
    fussing with this. They're worth sharing I think.

    1. Canon has an enormous markup on replacing or buying chargers and
    wall adapters. A $10 part is sold for $125 (list). Amazon has the best
    price, $90 from J&R Music. Of course I don't HAVE to buy a new unit,
    but ...

    2. If you have a defective part, don't bother with Canon's online
    email support. It's a computer automated reply system and I never got
    a reply anyway. Their 800 number was answered very quickly.

    3. Canon has one approach to service. They don't use RMAs. Send the
    defective part to their service center. If they agree it's broken they
    fix it. You need receipts, etc, of course. This takes at least 15
    business days from the time of receipt. In my case, this means my
    camera is out of operation for about 2-3 weeks.

    4. You can order a new CA-560 adapter from Canon for $139 or so (after
    tax and shipping). It can be returned within 30 days for credit "in
    original packaging" and "unused". Canon tech support pointed out I
    could order a new adapter from Canon accesories and return it. Since
    returns DO require an RMA, this may require some invention.


    [meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, canon, returns, warrantee, service,
    purchase decisions]
    John Faughnan, Aug 8, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Why don't you go to Radio Shack and see if they have one that fits, I am
    almost sure they would. As long as the voltage is the same, the plug
    fits into the camera (they have all sizes and types) and the POLARITY of
    the plug is the same (+ & -) you should be ok. The amp listing can be
    either the same as the one you have now, or higher, but not lower in
    number. 500ma will replace a 300ma one for example, but don't use only a
    200ma one.

    This will save you a lot of money. There is not much to these things,
    just a big transformer and a few diodes, it is just to charge the
    batteries and power the camera. Cheaper ones don't affect anything like
    picture quality and as long as the voltage and polarity are the same you
    can't ruin anything. (Don't use a 12v if yours is a 9v.)

    I buy things all the time from garage sales and flea markets like $200
    police scanners for $5 because they don't have the power adapter or
    charger for it and then just go pick one up from Radio Shack or something.
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 9, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.