    the problem is mine or if it's just the nature of the camera.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    Bob Huckleby, May 30, 2004

  2. Go to:

    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a75

    And see if your getting similar quality or worse quality than everyone
    else. If it's worse, call or e-mail Canon and they should help you
    troubleshoot it.

    Brian C. Baird, May 30, 2004

  3. Bob Huckleby

    Frank Guest

    Try to turn off the AIAF function. Instead of having the camera try to focus
    on 9 points, it will do so on 1. The center. Also, if your shutter speed is
    not too fast, your hand shaking could cause a slight bluryness. I personally
    with my A75 need to take multiple shots with various configuration to make
    sure I get the picture o.k whether it's brightness or focus. It's not easy,
    but can't do anything else.
    Hope this helps.

    Frank, May 30, 2004
  4. You've found the exact same thing that I have. Only I was disgusted with
    both the A70 and A80. Returned them both. Seems to follow suit with the
    whole Canon A line. Almost fell for the Canon S1. But the reviews said it
    was blurry and plagued with white wash out and purple fringing the same as
    the A70 and A80 too. Stumbled across and got a new Olympus C4000 and it is
    truly and accurately awesome in ALL areas especially in picture quality
    build quality and feature set! Stole a complete floor demo for $243 out the
    door at Costco! Better than anything else in the less than $600 dollar
    range(IMHO). With the Oly C4000 costing around $300.00 I find the picture
    quality on the C4000 AT LEAST as good if not better than the Canon G3 or G5.

    GO GET ONE NOW!! If you can find one : (

    Ty

    Tyrone Jackson, May 30, 2004
  5. Yea, I find it intolerable to have to make adjustments and disable features
    to get these Canon A series cameras to take even a poor quality picture. Not
    to mention the extreme white washout and high level of purple fringing the A
    series cameras produce.

    Ty

    Tyrone Jackson, May 30, 2004
  6. Bob Huckleby

    leo Guest

    I thought CircuitCity takes anything back with no question ask. Have they
    changed the policy?

    leo, May 30, 2004
  7. Bob Huckleby

    Sam Guest

    Too bad, it doesn't help us who can't return the A75!

    :

    Sam, May 30, 2004
  8. Bob Huckleby

    Sam Guest

    I have the same problem. Glad to know that I am not the only one. I wonder if Canon can do a firware upgrade to fix this issue?

    : I recently bought an A75 and at first I was very happy in my casual use of
    : it. Now that I'm paying more attention to it and playing with Photoshop
    : Elements, I see that the images aren't very clear. There's no fine
    : definition. I'm taking all of the shots in the Large/Superfine mode. I've
    : also used a tripod for several shots.
    :
    : I've compared my shots to shots from other 3.2MP cameras I've found on the
    : web and mine aren't even close to the clarity of the others.
    :
    : Could I be missing something? Or is it possible that I've just got a bum
    : lens?
    :
    : I hate to take it back to Circuit City and pay the 15% restocking fee if

    Sam, May 30, 2004
  9. Bob Huckleby

    Steve Guest

    Bob:

    What you are describing, sounds like the well known "A series Canon soft
    image problem". I did the same comparisons with pics from assorted friends
    2 and 3 MP digicams and sample pics from web review sites of 2 and 3 MP pics
    and I came to the same conclusions.

    I replaced my Canon A40 for a Nikon Coolpix 3100 and I have never regretted
    the decision!

    Since the "A series Canon soft image problem" has been know for atleast 2
    years, I do not see Canon ever addressing it.

    I would recommed that you return the Canon A75 to Circuit City and replace
    it with another other manufacturer's camera. The Nikon Coolpix 3200
    (replacement of the 3100) would be a good start.

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve, May 30, 2004
  10. Bob Huckleby

    Frank Guest

    It would be nice to have.

    Frank, May 30, 2004
  11. Would you like to start up a collection? Can you sell your A75 on Ebay? The
    sooner you do put it on Ebay, the more you will get for it : ) Most people
    do not know yet that the new A series Canons are all pretty nasty. So, off
    it ASAP.

    BTW, I'll kick in $5 to start the collection!

    Ty

    Tyrone Jackson, May 30, 2004
  12. Bob Huckleby

    Sam Guest

    For those of us not so lucky, is there a work around to combat or reduce the "soft image" problem.

    Sam, May 30, 2004
  13. Bob Huckleby

    Sam Guest

    That's not a bad idea. However, I am not familiar with selling on ebay, only buying. I do understand that you can have a reserve bid, but don't know if I am obligated to sell if say, the maximum bid is $5.00??

    Sam, May 30, 2004
  14. Bob Huckleby

    AT Guest

    it seems so.

    AT, May 30, 2004
  15. Bob Huckleby

    Bob Huckleby Guest

    I'm not positive that that's the in-store policy. I'm going by what's on
    the online store. They say there's a 15 day return with a 15% restocking
    fee for all opened boxes. Fortunately I bought it on the 22nd so I have a
    few days to decide.

    I AM willing to pay the $41 restock fee. After all, most of the pics are of
    my kids and I want the photos to be just as perfect as they are. :)

    Bob Huckleby, May 30, 2004
  16. Bob Huckleby

    Bob Huckleby Guest

    I'd consider the Olympus C-4000 or the C-5000 even (Amazon $329), but the
    xD-Picture Cards are crazy expensive. The 256MB is almost $100.

    Bob Huckleby, May 30, 2004
  17. Bob Huckleby

    Terence Gui Guest

    the >"soft image" problem.

    What exactly is this work around?

    Terence Gui, May 30, 2004
  18. Bob Huckleby

    Sam Guest

    I have a suggestion. How about we take a minute or two of our time and send Canon an email and explain our disappointent and frustration with the A75. If enough of us get together, they may do something, perhaps, if we are lucky, buy back the camera. I know it's only wishful thinking, but what have we got to loose except for a bit of time. Besides, we vent our frustrations to them. If they care about our customer satisfaction, they *should* try to accomodate.

    That's what I will be doing shortly. Just remember, if you are in Canada, don't forget to send an email to Canon USA as well as Canon Canada.

    :
    : : >For those of us not so lucky, is there a work around to combat or reduce
    : the >"soft image" problem.
    :
    : What exactly is this work around?
    :
    :
    : ---
    :
    :

    Sam, May 30, 2004
  19. Bob Huckleby

    - Guest

    Part of the difference you are seeing when comparing cameras may be due to
    the amount of unsharp masking a particular camera brand/model automatically
    applies to every shot "behind the scenes." Additionally, you definitely
    need to use a fast shutter speed with these cameras and the program or auto
    modes don't seem to make this a priority in my experience. Things are much
    more acceptable if I check to maintain my shutter speed is 1/125 or faster.

    Doug

    -, May 30, 2004
  20. The images I've seen from this camera (from browsing pbase.com) range
    from horrible to great, even from the same photographer. I'd say the
    problem is probably shutter speed, failure to focus on the foreground or
    any number of things you can correct before pressing the shutter.

    Brian C. Baird, May 30, 2004