    I am thinking of getting an external AC adapter for this camera. I prefer
    not to get the Canon one if possible. Does anyone know the required current
    rating? Would I need a regulated AC adapter or just a regular one?

    Mike, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Don't know about the A70 specifically, but the A80 external supply is
    rated 4.3 V at 1.5 A. I've successfully powered it from an Ambico
    supply rated at 2.1 A, set to 5 V. Centre contact of the coaxial plug
    is positive.

    Yes, you should use a regulated AC adapter. A standard unregulated one
    goes well above rated voltage during AC line peaks, particularly when
    load is light. This might damage the camera.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Mike

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Dave Martindale) wrote in
    Do you know the exact dimensions of the plug on your power supply?

    Apparently, among plugs with the same outside barrel diameter, the
    diameter of the center hole varies by a small but significant
    amount, and Canon's not talking.

    Bert Hyman, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Mike

    Irwell Guest

    Radio Shack have two AC powers supplies,
    about ten and nineteen dollars respectively,
    you can take the camera in and they will let
    you select right plug complete with lead for
    your camera. Have not tried it but prefer to
    use a card reader and the USB port.

    Irwell, Mar 4, 2004
  5. There is a whole series of coaxial power plugs. Most of them do have
    different outside diameter, which is easy to measure, though there are a
    few that have the same outside dia. and differ only in inside dia.

    The Ambico power supply came with a collection of plugs and I simply
    chose the one that fit. It has a yellow insulating sleeve. The outside
    diameter is 3.96 mm, so I'd say it was 4 mm nominal. I can't actually
    get calipers in to measure the pin in the camera's socket, but I'd say
    it's almost exactly 1.5 mm.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Mar 4, 2004