    I just got a Canon A540 Powershot and it consistently produces dark
    underexposed pictures. Any comments suggestions? I'm comparing it to
    my A510 and other Powershot cameras--so I no it's dark and underexposed.

    seannakasone, Dec 31, 2006

  2. seannakasone

    ASAAR Guest

    Without more information about what settings you used and under
    what conditions (flash vs. no flash, etc.) there are too many
    possibilities to consider. One thing you can do if you still have
    your A510 is to take shots of the same subject under the same
    conditions. Set both cameras to the same ISO, make sure that the
    flash is disabled, that both cameras are using no exposure
    compensation, and determine (using either camera) what the proper
    exposure should be. Then with both cameras set to Manual Mode, use
    the same shutter speeds and apertures for a pair of comparison
    shots. Ideally, you'll want to see approximately the same exposure
    from both shots, which would probably indicate that you overlooked
    some difference in settings between both cameras. Different
    metering modes could easily be responsible for the differences
    you've noticed, but for some - not all shots. Different levels of
    exposure compensation would effect all shots. What shooting modes
    have you used for the A640 that produced underexposure, and what
    were the shutter speeds and apertures used?

    ASAAR, Dec 31, 2006

  3. seannakasone

    seannakasone Guest

    I forgot to mention that i'm using both AUTO mode for both cameras.
    I'm generally going to use AUTO mode. if no one else has this problem,
    then it's possible that it mine might be defective.

    seannakasone, Dec 31, 2006
  4. seannakasone

    ASAAR Guest

    Uh, ok. But that's not the only possibility. Suit yourself.

    ASAAR, Jan 1, 2007
  5. A540s generally make pics whose colors are more saturated than other
    cameras turn out, but not darker. Take a look at the suggestions on how
    to handle dark images on page 92 of the Advanced Camera User Guide for
    the A540.

    Pat O'Connell, Jan 1, 2007